10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Looked at my recent MRI report. My current symptoms might be the result of a sequestered disc. Meaning a piece disc material broke off and is floating around “below the exiting root of L5-S1 on the left side.“ The leg with The symptoms. It measures at 12 x 9 x 9 mm. Also says it’s obliterating the left neural foramen completely.

Playing internet doctor, I read these broken off disc pieces usually reabsorb overtime. And surgery usually not so effective. Let’s hope so.

What do the deadlift doctors recommend? I wonder if there is any way to get this stuff to reabsorb sooner than later.

MRI report also showed that a prior disc bulge from about 4 years ago no longer existed. Others were smaller When comparing the prior reports.
Don't get fixated on the image. The only thing that matters is function and movement. Disc material will generally reabsorb. Do hyperextension pressups give you relief? The first time I damaged my L5-S1, I could literally feel the disc material pushing back into place when I was doing these. Again, be slow and methodical with healing movements and progressive overload.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Looked at my recent MRI report. My current symptoms might be the result of a sequestered disc. Meaning a piece disc material broke off and is floating around “below the exiting root of L5-S1 on the left side.“ The leg with The symptoms. It measures at 12 x 9 x 9 mm. Also says it’s obliterating the left neural foramen completely.

Playing internet doctor, I read these broken off disc pieces usually reabsorb overtime. And surgery usually not so effective. Let’s hope so.

What do the deadlift doctors recommend? I wonder if there is any way to get this stuff to reabsorb sooner than later.

MRI report also showed that a prior disc bulge from about 4 years ago no longer existed. Others were smaller When comparing the prior reports.
I had a sequestered fragment that had me laid up for months. I was scheduled for surgery but cancelled last minute. It resorbed over time.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Don't get fixated on the image. The only thing that matters is function and movement. Disc material will generally reabsorb. Do hyperextension pressups give you relief? The first time I damaged my L5-S1, I could literally feel the disc material pushing back into place when I was doing these. Again, be slow and methodical with healing movements and progressive overload.
I would do standing extensions while pressing with my thumbs. I would move up and down the lumbar pressing as I did the extensions. It gave me the mental picture of pushing the discs back into place. I don't know if it really did, but the mind is potent, right?

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
... Here are a few examples of "...as unathletic of a position you can be in."
View attachment 105951View attachment 105952View attachment 105953

That's a few world titles.

... .
Those are elite athletes in competitive physical shape, so by definition those positions are not unathletic! Just making conversation really. A point would be that it is absolutely fine for such an athlete to go into that flexion position, not the only sport that does that either.

As I have said before on this thread when I used to have a bad back, even putting on a shoe would occasionally send a jolt of pain through me, early treatment was to avoid flexion during every day life and give away surfing for a few months all the time doing daily unloaded flexion exercises on the floor - if I remember correctly you posted one of them once. That was then though, the chiro now gets me to touch my toes as a test and I have been given the go-ahead for Jefferson curls. So I suppose knowing when it is ok to do it and when not to is the key and that would be something for the health professional to decide.

This pic is from yesterday evening crawl dropping my skimboard, I did half an hour of skimming before a surf. It is possible to get many more slides than waves in that timespan. My back always goes into flexion when monkey crawling and it doesn't bother me. 12 years ago this would have been asking for trouble. Instead at the advice of a massage therapist I have to watch I don't hyper extend when paddling and wave catching - this might not be an issue for others, we are all different.

CrawlDrop.jpg

Reactions: PRCD

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I went to chiropractors for years and quit surfing for years because of low back trouble. Got different health insurance about 8 years ago which didn't pay for chiro so I stopped going and instead visited a pt. Just went one time. He showed me the McKenzie method. It took over a year of doing it before I stopped having back trouble and started surfing again. It's pretty much not an issue anymore.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I went to chiropractors for years and quit surfing for years because of low back trouble. Got different health insurance about 8 years ago which didn't pay for chiro so I stopped going and instead visited a pt. Just went one time. He showed me the McKenzie method. It took over a year of doing it before I stopped having back trouble and started surfing again. It's pretty much not an issue anymore.
McKenzie is pretty much just back extensions, amirite?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The Army will include deadlifts as part of their physical fitness test. I can pass the minimum.:cheers:. I would have aced the two mile run even in my late 50's until my heart diagnosis.

BTW, they use the trap bar for the deadlift.

Why a Trap (Hex) Bar instead of an Olympic bar for the 3 Repetition Maximum Deadlift?

Simple to set up and easier to learn than the barbell or Olympic bar deadlift.
Reduces loading (shear forces) on the lumbar spine.
Less chance of getting pulled forward creating excessive spinal flexion.
No hyperextension at lockout.
No need for a mixed grip.
D-handles may be used for people with insufficient hip range of motion.
Allows Soldier to safely lift heavier loads.
Enhanced posterior activation and patterning.
Increased muscular hypertrophy applicable to most athletic movements.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Yup, laying face down with upper body extended back with straight arms, holding for like 10 breaths, and doing that a couple of times per day. I do downward dog between.
I’m lmao picturing your avatar doing yoga poses

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

Glad it worked for you....

" Effectiveness
There is only weak evidence for the effectiveness of the method's use for treating lower back pain,[8] and research into the effectiveness of the McKenzie method has been of poor quality.[9]

Compared to other treatments, the McKenzie method is not better at treating acute pain and disability for people with lower back pain. It may be better than some other approaches for chronic lower back pain, but this evidence for this is insufficient to recommend the method.[8]

Exercises targeting midline strengthening, as used in the McKenzie method, are no more helpful for lower back pain than conventional flexion and extension exercises."

From the wikipedia

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Yeah I'm sure it doesn't work for all issues, like ruptured disks or whatever, but it absolutely worked for me. And as I mentioned, it took a little over a year before the full benefit became apparent, if I remember correctly. Many people may not stick to it long enough, I imagine.

Reactions: Mr J

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Yeah I'm sure it doesn't work for all issues, like ruptured disks or whatever, but it absolutely worked for me. And as I mentioned, it took a little over a year before the full benefit became apparent, if I remember correctly. Many people may not stick to it long enough, I imagine.
I do back extensions every morning and evening as part of a stretching routine the PT gave me (but only because is feels good VM). I do a lot of different stuff so I can't really tell what is working.

I got the Covid vaccine on Sunday, and Monday and Tuesday had flu like symptoms. Didn't do any exercise. My back starting getting really sore. Yesterday I did an 8 mile run (is that too much for a warm up?) and then my barbell routine and my back feels good today. Is it the stretching the running or the barbell?

Reactions: Mr J

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I do back extensions every morning and evening as part of a stretching routine the PT gave me (but only because is feels good VM). I do a lot of different stuff so I can't really tell what is working.

I got the Covid vaccine on Sunday, and Monday and Tuesday had flu like symptoms. Didn't do any exercise. My back starting getting really sore. Yesterday I did an 8 mile run (is that too much for a warm up?) and then my barbell routine and my back feels good today. Is it the stretching the running or the barbell?
All of the above. Movement is medicine. Also you probably felt good about getting the vaccine for several reasons. Running 8 miles outside improved your mood and circulated new fluids through your joints. You obviously like some aspects of barbell training. The brain's pain response takes everything into account - the things affecting the mind and body.

Reactions: One-Off

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Thanks for sharing, everyone is different and what works for some doesn't for others.

I had a look at the McKenzie method. It has some similarity to the lower back mobility program I was prescribed as part of my treatment. A couple of the stretches are the same, a difference with what I was prescribed is that my program had no standing flexion/extension - all unloaded from body weight. I stuck to mine 3 times a day, still do much of them daily now.