10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I'm saying that if you do a squat, you will automatically take a big breath and brace your spine without thinking about it.
Thanks, I once managed to hurt myself by not maintaining the tension throughout a squat, I never made that mistake again and it made me extra attentive ever since with the more modest lifts too.

Nowadays the most strenuous thing I do is one legged dead lift with dumbbells - except for last weekend when a neighbour lent me one of those 2 wheeled trolley things to install a washing machine. Had to lower it onto its side to attach some sound insulation, then walk it in to the cubby hole. I didn't hurt myself, but could feel it the next day!

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
All this deadlifting and squatting... How do any of you guys surf and stay afloat? .

50 liter short boards?

:unsure:
Training for strength doesn't put on that much muscle. The physical adaptations from strength training are skeletal, muscular and neurological.

Training for hypertrophy is different.

Reactions: Havoc

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Thanks, I once managed to hurt myself by not maintaining the tension throughout a squat, I never made that mistake again and it made me extra attentive ever since with the more modest lifts too.
Your beliefs about the dangers of movement are likely what's causing the pain instead of the movement itself. Read "Explain Pain."

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Your beliefs about the dangers of movement are likely what's causing the pain instead of the movement itself. Read "Explain Pain."
ya pretty much this. i've tweaked my back and gone on to pr dl and squat albeit my numbers are not like VM or PRCD. I lift girly weights. patrolman lifts toddler weights lolz

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
ya pretty much this. i've tweaked my back and gone on to pr dl and squat albeit my numbers are not like VM or PRCD. I lift girly weights. patrolman lifts toddler weights lolz
It's like VonMeister (and GLenn Pendlay) have said, everyone has a little butt-wink in the hole. It's pretty much impossible not to. It's not dangerous or harmful.

So much of the strength game is psychological.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Do you even do those? I see them prescribed for those who do "acrobatic" sports.
No, I have to be really careful with my messed up spine.

But I think they could be a value.

Like Doug said, you train your body to be used to those positions.

Flexion isn't bad.

"Unbraced" flexion under load could be.

I just learned out to stabilize my spine with the muscle in the front and the back of my spine.

That is a good trick,

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I'm actually not in any pain. I've been symptom free for about 10years. However with my history of a dodgy back, I don't consider myself to have totally recovered so follow a program of core strength exercises, stretches, posture exercises/control, chiro and massage. I dread the thought of it returning. Plus I like to stay generally fit, so that's why I participate in this thread.

I have picked up a few useful things here - some of the side planks posted by Lillibel. Freeride got me on to one legged deadlifts. I'm also giving dynamic stretching (for hip flexors) a go, Senor Sopa has a son studying for physiotherapy and he is told active stretching is the current science.

What's your story and how are you doing? I had a look at the book review comments - is it some sort of philosophical acceptance of pain? Injury permitting the most desirable goal would be to resolve the injury/condition that is causing the pain in the first place. However as SurfFuerteventura has described, dealing with pain is a reality for some.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Do you even know where you are, man?

Thanks, I thought I would wait for my chiro appointment this morning before responding. I once saw a picture of someone doing a Jefferson Curl with a barbell and did not like the look of it. However that is really nicely explained and it coincidentally I have been thinking of introducing some hamstring stretching.

I tried some this morning standing on a step. The instructor in the vid said minimum weight required to get the stretch, so I figured start with no weights. It felt good. So I asked my chiro if it is alright that I do them - I demonstrated it on the floor as there was no convenient step. The answer was "absolutely fine".

So I plan on incorporating these into my fitness routine. Start off with no weight, then maybe build up to light dumbbell. Its a lightly loaded stretch so I guess would some "eccentric" load strengthening benefit too. I did some after being warmed up from skateboarding this morning. Even though I used no weight it will be interesting to see how I pull up tomorrow and have DOMS.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
No, I have to be really careful with my messed up spine.

But I think they could be a value.

Like Doug said, you train your body to be used to those positions.

Flexion isn't bad.

"Unbraced" flexion under load could be.

I just learned out to stabilize my spine with the muscle in the front and the back of my spine.

That is a good trick,
Please note that I was not telling llilibel whether he can safely lift with back in flexion or not. That's up to his physio to decide. All I was saying that regardless of whether the back be in flexion, extension or straight the core should be tensed. I thought that was fairly uncontroversial, but PRCD reckons just lift heavy and she'll be right!

Btw my chiro is a bodybuilder who does heavy lifts, I have been told to "keep that core engaged" throughout the lift. I'm only interested in modest lifts though - I have demonstrated how I do the one legged deadlift to make sure I am doing it right and that is what I have been told.

However, the Jefferson Curl is not really a lift is it, its more of a lightly loaded stretch. So I guess no need to focus on keeping the core engaged for that (I didn't ask).

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Autoprax—regarding your spine, in hindsight do you wish you would’ve dialed your lifting back a little?

and to make it easier for lilibel and others with his questions/concerns: no you’re not going to get too big to surf by just lifting weights, nor do you have to (or are going to) deadlift 500 lbs to lift or claim you ”lift”. If you play it safe, take it slow, cautious, and conservatively: no your spine will not snap, you will not be paralyzed. your back will feel better.

I like VonMeister‘s goal of squatting 275lbs for five reps but that’s going to take some time and commitment for the average schlub (like me). I was right around that before the gyms shut down too, damn.

What‘s not going to take much time/commitment (other than just doing it) is squatting your own bodyweight for (arbitrarily) 3 sets of 5 reps and deadlifting 1.5x your body weight for 5 reps. For 175 lbs person that’s a deadlift of 265 lbs x 5 reps. Neither of these are impressive, nor will they turn heads at the gym, but you’re going to be much better off doing that compared to not.

These are arbitrary numbers, and I’m way less qualified than others to speak on this, but I would assume even VM/PRCD would agree you’re better off just getting to my easy goals than not lifting at all.

Reactions: One-Off and Havoc

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Cultivate success.
Autoprax—regarding your spine, in hindsight do you wish you would’ve dialed your lifting back a little?
Yes, but I didn't know.

There are things I could have done to spare my spine.

I did a lot of reckless lifting in my 20s and 30s.

I had a blast.

Being strong really helped me to be comfortable in my skin. And it gave me the discipline I needed to go back to school.

The Dr said it was just a freak thing.

I just bought a 12 thousand dollar brace for my leg.

It's like an artificial limb you stick your foot inside.

I tried for 6 years to just tough it out with a regular brace but it was dragging me down. Walking down the street would trigger me.

I should be able to run with this brace and have better body mechanics.

The guy is having me do walking and running training.

I might be able to lift harder too. (I hope)

When the nervous system senses nerve damage it puts the brakes on everything.

I can really feel that. And I don't like it.

Reactions: tacos