10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Not sure what little girls lift. I was up to 145lbs dead lift and I weigh 155 - 160 (depending on what I just ate ). I have no plans to go heavy and no desire to get "big." I surfed pain free and competently for over 40 years and didn't need to be "strong." I'm just trying to get back to where I was before whatever the fuk happened to my back last year happened.

A lot of times your and VM's comments are not helpful. Kind of like if I said to you, "If you can't run 18 miles without stopping you're a fukkin wimp and need to grow a pair."

By the way can you run 18 miles without stopping?
the 130 lb girls can squat and dl 365 lbs. u think they have strong backs?

145 lb dl is little girl weight. no wonder u have back issues

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
the 130 lb girls can squat and dl 365 lbs. u think they have strong backs?

145 lb dl is little girl weight. no wonder u have back issues
Can you explain how it was I surfed problem free for 40 + years when I could not dead lift 50 lbs? I could give a flying fuck about being strong or lifting weights. I just want to surf.

Didn't answer my question- can you run 18 miles? That's the shortest of my long marathon training runs. There are 75 year old women running 26 miles. So as long as we comparing ourselves to others..,.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Can you explain how it was I surfed problem free for 40 + years when I could not dead lift 50 lbs? I could give a flying fook about being strong. I just want to surf.

Didn't answer my qiuestion- can you run 18 miles? That's my shortest of my long marathon training runs. There are 75 year old women running 26 miles.

if u have an injured back wud u rather have it strong or weak?

i’d rather drive 18 miles, it’s the smarter move

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
btw i also liftvpvssy wights and am trying to get strong. need to bump up my numbers. just my .02. u do u brah
OK. I just don't see, at this point, how lifting 1.5 body weight will cure my problem. Going from empty bar to 145 has not seemed to help the issue. So I'm looking at and asking for other alternatives, more dynamic stuff.

I think weightlifting is just your thing, something you like doing, even as an end in itself. Like me and running. No one needs to be able to run 26 miles. Some people just ike the challenge and the activity. No one needs to lift 2x or even 1.5 x bodyweight, but some people enjoy the challenge. I don't enjoy lifting. My end goal is always surfing. If running negatively affected my surfing I would stop, but it never has. That said, today's my strength day, so I'll push and pull my pussy weights and do my pushups and pull ups...and probably have to wait 2 days before doing my "ballistic" stuff- pop ups and burpees.

On a side note, all my favorite surfers are twigs. Doubt they are deadlifting 2x bodyweight.

Rob-4-620x413.jpgmonster-children-gerry-lopez-1068x571.jpgimages.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

Reactions: Havoc

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The lotion is in the motion.

Find the motion you can do without pain.

Don't work through pain.

Some things I loved to do, I can't do anymore.

So I do what I can.

Try rolling your abs with a medicine ball.

It's not going hurt anything.

Reactions: Mr J

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Don't work through pain.

So I do what I can.

The one thing I've loved doing more than anything ever since I was 12 years old has been surfing. I will do everything humanly possible to keep on doing it. I will go down fighting...

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF

Don't work through pain.

So I do what I can.

Do you have any specific incident you think caused your spine issues?

The past almost two weeks I’ve had nagging sciatica. I’ve just tried to keep up my lifting frequency (no days off from normal) and doing what I can when lifting. Anything else I should be doing? (Not necessarily directed only at Autoprax)

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I have "Explain Pain (2nd)" in .pdf if anyone wants it.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
DOMS and muscle soreness generally is caused by the eccentric motion. This is why Romanian Deadlifts will make you sore...it's 90% eccentric. I don't like them. I find them to be 100% useless for anything, be it strength, assistance or hypertrophy in the context of what else you can do to achieve those results. You can easily replace them with a stiff legged deadlift or rack pulls...or even just higher repetition...in the 8-10 range regular deadlifts and achieve greater results.
MOAR. My rationale for using RDLs was they might help hamstring mobility (they didn't) and Rip put a picture of Nicu Vlad doing them in SS.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Word is he told the Americans at the Olympics that it's all he does for training...then went out and smoked them. I suspect he was embellishing a bit and was just using them as a warm up...which is fine. Then again a guy with his genetics juiced up like a race horse is going to get stronger any number of ways.

Mobility is all bullshit. The only way you aren't mobile enough to do something is if you haven't done it before. It The body adapts very quickly. Hitting parallel in a low bar squat will stretch your hamstrings as far as they will ever need to go. It's a great exercise for people who want to do a proper bottom turn.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

The past almost two weeks I’ve had nagging sciatica. I’ve just tried to keep up my lifting frequency (no days off from normal) and doing what I can when lifting. Anything else I should be doing? (Not necessarily directed only at Autoprax)
I woke up with a bit of sciatica today...the familiar pinch at the top of my right ass cheek. I know its a perfectly normal sensation as is not indicative of any spinal abnormality or any type of warning sign. I squated heavy, overhead pressed heavy, and did volume pause deadlifts. Wala....I'm cured. If I wake up like this on a non training day I will usually just squat some light weight for volume until it's gone...then go surf or play golf.

Reactions: PRCD and tacos

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

I had major bladder surgery when I was 7. I read that people who have surgery on their Lower abs will have back issues later. The scar is right in front of the L5 that was herniated.

I had back pain since high school.

But it could be anything.

I did a lot of reckless weight lifting in the 80s,90s, and 00s.

That didn't help.

I loved it though.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Mobility is all bullshit. The only way you aren't mobile enough to do something is if you haven't done it before. It The body adapts very quickly. Hitting parallel in a low bar squat will stretch your hamstrings as far as they will ever need to go. It's a great exercise for people who want to do a proper bottom turn.
You'll get better at squatting by doing more of it. No doubt about it. SAID.

I think mobility can work for chronic pain by de-smudging pain neurotags and improving cortical body maps.

Squatting and deadlifting with progressive overload convince you that your body is not fragile and you are not permanently damaged and capable of other things. This is great for people with chronic pain.