10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Update: Gave a big middle finger to surgery and the doc that said I might not surf again. Did a massive course of Prednisone (tapering down from from 60 mgs). Went to PT and rapidly improved. I've been surfing since October. Still have some nerve pain, but my tolerance for activity keeps going up and recovery times keep getting shorter when I have a flair up or irritate the nerve. Lesson? Body wants to move and will heal with the right movements.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020
New South Wales Sydney
Yeah, many of them I have spotted practically. Didn't stop there of course, but searching for an answer was starting with drugs and finishing flying to Thailand. Wanted relaxation and street food, plus massage from locals, much positive feedback online. But, nothing helped except https://www.proinversiontherapy.com/ . In Inversion, chair and table are amazing in fixing the back. Every bone and spine after time and exercises just stacked on their places. It took some time and patience but final results are awesome. I have tried many ways, this one is the most effective.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Update: Gave a big middle finger to surgery and the doc that said I might not surf again. Did a massive course of Prednisone (tapering down from from 60 mgs). Went to PT and rapidly improved. I've been surfing since October. Still have some nerve pain, but my tolerance for activity keeps going up and recovery times keep getting shorter when I have a flair up or irritate the nerve. Lesson? Body wants to move and will heal with the right movements.
Amazing. Stay on your feet...apply appropriate stress, repeat. All this time the erbb told us yoga, pink dumbbells and MRI's were the cure. I'll bet you'v been mainlining turmeric in a CBD oil suspension and you're just not saying anything.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Specifically for the lower back, which is better - deadlift or good morning? Hyper extensions with plates?

When I do squats and deadlifts I get DOMS in the glutes and hamstrings but never in my back. I'm not really interested in building up my glutes and hamstrings. I just want to protect the back.

Last edited:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
A massage therapist told me fairly recently (last year) that building up the glutes helps protect the lower back. I'm not doing any squats or deadlifts though, my glutes get a fair workout and sometimes DOMS from the skimboarding I am doing.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
In my experience, hyperextension is a key healing movement for lumber disc injury. I don't do weights, but some guys here with previous lumbar disc injuries swear by deadlifting. Queue VonMeister ...

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
romanian dl
Just watched Rippetoe's video about the RDL. He says, "This will make your hamstrings very sore....terribly easy to get extremely sore hamstrings." That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'm trying to find something to work the back without overworking the hamstrings. I'm one year out from my low back "event" and although I'm surfing, my pop ups still feel slow and unstable and my back is always sore after surfing.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Just watched Rippetoe's video about the RDL. He says, "This will make your hamstrings very sore....terribly easy to get extremely sore hamstrings." That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'm trying to find something to work the back without overworking the hamstrings. I'm one year out from my low back "event" and although I'm surfing, my pop ups still feel slow and unstable and my back is always sore after surfing.

ya u need to pour urself a nice big glass of harden da fk up

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
DOMS and muscle soreness generally is caused by the eccentric motion. This is why Romanian Deadlifts will make you sore...it's 90% eccentric. I don't like them. I find them to be 100% useless for anything, be it strength, assistance or hypertrophy in the context of what else you can do to achieve those results. You can easily replace them with a stiff legged deadlift or rack pulls...or even just higher repetition...in the 8-10 range regular deadlifts and achieve greater results.

If you are getting sore from squats or deadlifts you are probably waiting a couple weeks between workouts or you are lowering the weight way to slow.

Reactions: PRCD

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
... I'm one year out from my low back "event" and although I'm surfing, my pop ups still feel slow and unstable and my back is always sore after surfing.
The lower back muscles - those bands either side of the spine, get plenty of exercise just paddling a surfboard around the place. Are you saying you get "good" DOMS in your lower back muscles, or are you getting bad back ache in your lower back? If it is the latter then you have already been down the path of making it worse with barbell lifting. However, you are already doing heaps of general core strength planking stuff I believe, so maybe time to go back to the physio for a follow up and recommendations.

What is your general core stability like? e.g. can you balance on one foot, pick up a shoe off the ground, put the shoe on your foot that is lifted off the ground and tie the shoe lace while remaining balanced on the other leg without wobbling around or toppling over? edit --> comes with my usual disclaimer, I don't know what I am talking about, but my core feels solid nowadays.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The lower back muscles - those bands either side of the spine, get plenty of exercise just paddling a surfboard around the place. Are you saying you get "good" DOMS in your lower back muscles, or are you getting bad back ache in your lower back? If it is the latter then you have already been down the path of making it worse with barbell lifting. However, you are already doing heaps of general core strength planking stuff I believe, so maybe time to go back to the physio for a follow up and recommendations.

What is your general core stability like? e.g. can you balance on one foot, pick up a shoe off the ground, put the shoe on your foot that is lifted off the ground and tie the shoe lace while remaining balanced on the other leg without wobbling around or toppling over? edit --> comes with my usual disclaimer, I don't know what I am talking about, but my core feels solid nowadays.
I never get any DOMS in my back. I have soreness in my back all the time but not from exercise and very low grade. The barbell never made my back worse. Because of the DOMS (and lack of it in my back) I just have this impression that the back is not getting enough work.

I was doing barbell stuff (light- not Havoc and VM weight) twice a week. But I would have DOMS for 2-3 days afterwards only in hamstrings and glutes. I also did not feel any improvement in my surfing (back stability during pop ups) which is the only (main reason) I'm doing them. A friend told me it looked like I was popping up fast but that was on a mid length board. Whenever it was overhead and hollow and I tried riding my shortboard and it was not pretty.

I had replaced one barbell day with body weight day. I feel I need really dynamic stuff. Pushups, pull ups, planks, mountain climbers and especially burpees/pop ups. The burpees/pop ups still feel the worst. It's like in that second, in the air, as you go from extension to flexion, heaving with the shoulders, drawing in the legs, my spine is loose and subject to ....???

Any movement that requires pulling up my knee and bending over- putting on shoes, taking off the wetsuit, crouching for tubes, still hurts my back.

I'm wondering if I need to start doing some kind of back flexion stretches or exercises (VM is going to eviscerate me)....

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Using muscles makes you sore? How do you get out of bed in the morning?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
PHysios are essentially useless unless they have a modern understanding of pain. Most of them don't. They usually give you strengthening exercises so they're essentially personal trainers for acute patients, most of whom will recover completely on their own in 8 weeks. I remember going to one for chronic neck and shoulder pain and they gave me upper back exercises and mobility work. "I deadlift 500 lbs," I told the gal, "Is my upper back weak?"

There used to be a physio on here - psykophant - who had a modern understanding of pain. He'd refute all the nonsense about MRI findings, the need for surgery, core stability, etc.

Reactions: bluengreen

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I never get any DOMS in my back. I have soreness in my back all the time but not from exercise and very low grade. The barbell never made my back worse. Because of the DOMS (and lack of it in my back) I just have this impression that the back is not getting enough work.

I was doing barbell stuff (light- not Havoc and VM weight) twice a week. But I would have DOMS for 2-3 days afterwards only in hamstrings and glutes. I also did not feel any improvement in my surfing (back stability during pop ups) which is the only (main reason) I'm doing them. A friend told me it looked like I was popping up fast but that was on a mid length board. Whenever it was overhead and hollow and I tried riding my shortboard and it was not pretty.

I had replaced one barbell day with body weight day. I feel I need really dynamic stuff. Pushups, pull ups, planks, mountain climbers and especially burpees/pop ups. The burpees/pop ups still feel the worst. It's like in that second, in the air, as you go from extension to flexion, heaving with the shoulders, drawing in the legs, my spine is loose and subject to ....???

Any movement that requires pulling up my knee and bending over- putting on shoes, taking off the wetsuit, crouching for tubes, still hurts my back.

I'm wondering if I need to start doing some kind of back flexion stretches or exercises (VM is going to eviscerate me)....
Is your pain more to one side of your back or is it distributed evenly and/or close to the spine? If the former, it's probably your hips that needs work.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Is your pain more to one side of your back or is it distributed evenly and/or close to the spine? If the former, it's probably your hips that needs work.
Definitely more to one side. After my "event" (that sent me to ER unable to stand without assistance) I exhibited some of the signs of sciatica- my right flute would get veyr painful. Still kind of located an that side.

I think will address the situation as possibly psycho/neuro and attack it with more ballistic exercises- more of what it hurts to do- pop ups, burpees, jump squats etc.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Definitely more to one side. After my "event" (that sent me to ER unable to stand without assistance) I exhibited some of the signs of sciatica- my right flute would get veyr painful. Still kind of located an that side.

I think will address the situation as possibly psycho/neuro and attack it with more ballistic exercises- more of what it hurts to do- pop ups, burpees, jump squats etc.
Sounds like a hip issue, which could also be related to other movement patterns that stem from knee, ankle, and/or foot issues. I've had chronic lumbar pain that was mostly on my left side for about 7 years. Doing sitting spine twist and 90/90 stretches every morning and before workouts gives me a lot of relief.

You could also add in some back hyperextensions and clean & press with a barbell, but I would focus on the dynamic stretches that address the hips first and foremost.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

i lift less than the 130 lb girls at my gym lol.

i get sciatica if i sit too long and don;t lift for a while.

that being said, it sounds like u need to get ur back and hips strong and the only way to do that is to stop lifting 10 year old girl weights.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

i get sciatica if i sit too long and don;t lift for a while.

that being said, it sounds like u need to get ur back and hips strong and the only way to do that is to stop lifting 10 year old girl weights.

i get sciatica if i sit too long and don't lift for a while.

Not sure what little girls lift. I was up to 145lbs dead lift and I weigh 155 - 160 (depending on what I just ate ). I have no plans to go heavy and no desire to get "big." I surfed pain free and competently for over 40 years and didn't need to be "strong." I'm just trying to get back to where I was before whatever the fuk happened to my back last year happened.

A lot of times your and VM's comments are not helpful. Kind of like if I said to you, "If you can't run 18 miles without stopping you're a fukkin wimp and need to grow a pair."

By the way can you run 18 miles without stopping?