10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
im also dealing with pec tear/pull so doing front squats unti it heals. stop training n body just falls apart. btw fk crossfit. those asshats bought up all the barbell equipment
Movement is medicine.

The PowerBlock Elites 50 lbs are probably the first thing to buy along with some bands.

Reactions: Havoc

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

Having been up to my eyeballs in disc research, information, and opinions for the better part of 4-6 months and shorter periods of time other times in my life, I loathe the vocabulary nazis.

slip
bulge
rupture
blown
desiccated
collapsed
worn
damaged
degenerated

They are, for the most part, layman terms used to describe (usually) one of two conditions.

The disc is either bulging or ruptured. Doctors obviously use specific medical terms to describe varying levels and conditions of disc health, but for non doctors, who fucking cares what you call it? Hell, even doctors don't always agree on which terms to use.

Nobody thinks of their discs until they're in pain. At which point, they want someone to speak to that pain so they can understand it, avoid it, or fix it. All of those terms are an effort for non doctors to understand that the disc tissue is not where it is supposed to be and it's causing pain. Whether they picture it as slipping, squeezing, twisting, or exploding out position, the result is the same.

Reactions: Mr J

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
If you read the beginning of this discussion the limitations of imaging is established. However in Bob's case when imaging shows a pathology and other therapies have been unsuccessful, then you would use that imaging to consider and take the next steps.
I had two MRIs within 2 months of each other and an issue in between. The second MRI showed an increased bulge (basically doubled in size) or whatever you want to call it. Could be seen and measured. All in my head. Right. Just a coincidence. Lots of people have some sort of disc degeneration as they age. Lots of people have bulges that are asymptomatic and lots of people have symptoms. Lots of people have Covid-19 and are asymptomatic. Some people die. Dumbest logic.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I had two MRIs within 2 months of each other and an issue in between. The second MRI showed an increased bulge (basically doubled in size) or whatever you want to call it. Could be seen and measured. All in my head. Right. Just a coincidence. Lots of people have some sort of disc degeneration as they age. Lots of people have bulges that are asymptomatic and lots of people have symptoms. Lots of people have Covid-19 and are asymptomatic. Some people die. Dumbest logic.
My logic? Or the logic I was responding to?

I stopped doing even body weight squats, pull ups and push ups for the time being. I'm only doing the stretches and planks prescribed by PT. And I'm feeling much better. Glute is almost pain free.

My take away is when 3 MDs and 3 PTs tell you not to do strength exercises until the pain is gone, wait until the pain is gone to do the strength exercises.

It also doesn't hurt that I'm home all the time and am doing the stretches 3-4 times a day. When I was working I was dong them once a day, maybe twice.

Reactions: Mr J

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
My logic? Or the logic I was responding to?

I stopped doing even body weight squats, pull ups and push ups for the time being. I'm only doing the stretches and planks prescribed by PT. And I'm feeling much better. Glute is almost pain free.

My take away is when 3 MDs and 3 PTs tell you not to do strength exercises until the pain is gone, wait until the pain is gone to do the strength exercises.

It also doesn't hurt that I'm home all the time and am doing the stretches 3-4 times a day. When I was working I was dong them once a day, maybe twice.
Logic you were responding to. The business about MRIs do not show back problems and disc bulges do not actually cause pain.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Logic you were responding to. The business about MRIs do not show back problems and disc bulges do not actually cause pain.
I tried the lower back stretch from your book but was sore the day after. He warns not to do it if you are suffering sciatica, so I will have to wait on that one. Taking notes for the others. Drinking lots of water.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
btw if u gays r training u shud really look into online training with feedback. makes a world of difference and they do ur programming. most ppl do the lifts incorrectly without but think they are doing it right bc they r swole

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Welp. I lived.

I didn't want to jump to conclusions yesterday while still pretty stoney from the anesthesia, but 24 hours later, I feel no nerve pain. My back has a half inch + punched into it and my back is sore to touch and when I move around, but I feel so much better.

Sleeping wasn't too bad, but it's probably going to get tougher over the next few days. I felt a hint of numbness on my right shin while sleeping on that side, but it was pretty light. That being said, it was nothing like the "sleep" I was getting with the nerve pain, burning, numbness, cramps, etc for the last 3 months.

Overall, I'm scared shitless about moving wrong and doing damage to the vertebrae that now has a hole drilled in it, I'm a bit sore, but I'm so fucking relieved. Time for some deadlifts..

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
You need a coach. This thread has gone on way too long.
Havoc's idea of an online coach is a good idea for those who want to get into some heavy lifting. Myself I am satisfied from taking some phone video of myself that I'm getting some benefit with my 10Kg single leg deadlifts, plus I have a good appreciation of how my core operates from all the other stuff I've been doing.

This thread has a bit to go, thanks for starting it VM. I have got a lot out of it. SLDL - thanks freeride, some planking variations - thanks llilibel. The idea that possibly the most effective way to prevent running type injuries to things such as hip flexors and adductors - your online bible barbell medicine.

Monkey crawling on to my skimboard seems to give a good core workout, but the back needs to be good to start with. One surfer who watched me told me that he used to have one and asked if mine was a package deal that came with chiropractic treatment.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia

Fantastic news llilibel (y) On the subject of stretching I realise the evidence that it can help prevent soreness and injuries is inconclusive, but I've started jogging down the beach with my surfboard to get a short warmup, doing a few flexor and adductor exercises then going surfing - I use a lot of leg kick for catching waves. Then after a surf I jog back to my car and exchange surfboard for skimboard, then put in some more stretches - a little bit more than the pre surf stretches. I'm just feeling looser and more ready for action this way, so I'm going to carry on doing this.

Did you ever incur much running injuries llilibel and did you have any strategies for avoiding them?