10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Feeling a 20 micrometer collection of cells that is on average 50 micrometers below the surface would be impossible by touch.

Also, given the cellular structure, they would not be mitigated by touch.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I don't know what the explanation is, but of the two muscles that run along either side of the spine in the lower back (erector spinae or ilicostalis?), in my back the right side protrudes significantly more that the other side (which in comparison seems almost non existent) and it is really hard tense in comparison.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Post epidural...

I'm not better, but I feel better. Quite a bit.

I slept through the night last night. Rolled over once and barely thought about it, much less remembered it the next morning.

For the last 3 months I have not slept through the night, rolled over at least 5 times (this is a whole process. take off the covers. move the pillow between my legs, slowly test how i can move from my shoulders onto my back, use my hands to shift my hips further over to make room to roll over, figure out how to rotate my knees over without screaming or sparking nerve pain, then let my shoulders and head follow suit. like a 5-15 minute, sometimes horrendous process), took pain killers and muscle relaxers at 2am, then struggled to get up hours earlier than I had to because it was too painful to try to sleep.

I was able to wear normal clothes (Mrs. B still had to put my pants on), I got to have a poo (I took the meds for that the day before but it was glorious to happen on such a relieving day.

I still can't put on my pants without assistance, walking is still impaired. driving is still touch and go. so I'm hoping the surgery window stays open. Pre-op meeting Monday

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Likely entirely unrelated... just placebo maybe, along with being a little more sedate (iso life) and maybe the new kettlebells training... BUT ever since I've tried the cannabis oil (inc the fun stuff kept in it), my back has been infinitely better. To the point where pain is gone, i'm only age-appropriately stiff in the morning, but nothing i'd claim as pain.

Hoping to continue this experiment!
Thanks for sharing what's helping you. This is the difficulty with trying multiple rehab methods - it is hard to know what is responsible for the improvement or whether it is a mystical combination of all 3 e.g it could be that the benefit comes from the kettlebells and being locked down, however without the CBD oil you might not be able to swing the kettlebells in a therapeutic way. I say if its working carry on. Usual disclaimer: I am not a health professional, so don't listen to me, I don't know what I am talking about.

Beaches closed over Easter to all activity including exercise/surfing in my regional Vic location. However I had quite a satisfying workout this morning. 10kg water container single leg dead lifts. Some sort of semi isometric lunge with the rear leg on the elevated step of my shack balcony. One arm bent water container rows - I am a big believer in asymmetric load and this felt good. Water container goblet squat variation and some sundry other things.

Instagram's browsing algorithm seems to have trained itself to recognise that a) I don't have much in the way of gym equipment. b) I want to build the strength of my glutes to handle the skimboarding I am currently enthralled with. It is presenting me with video of fit women demonstrating various "booty" exercises.

So what are you doing with your kettlebells?

Reactions: waxfoot

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia

Also gave me this plank variation-
View attachment 88773

Feralseppo also gave me this book which I'm reading and will start doing the stretches next week.

View attachment 88774
Thanks for sharing - I did that plank variation the day before yesterday. I have my skateboard with me but I'm not using it - too bloody dangerous for the current virus situation, so I reckon I need to find some substitute for the side core benefit that the manuals used to give me. I'm going to include that this arvo when I do some general planking core work.

The seated stretch in the top right corner of the book - my chiro prescribed that one when I was in the early stages of treatment - I still do it regularly, it is good for the outer glute.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Hey Mr.J-

"This is the difficulty with trying multiple rehab methods - it is hard to know what is responsible for the improvement or whether it is a mystical combination of all 3..."

So yesterday I had my telephone appointment with the PT and she said since I had slight improvement to go ahead and add air squats. I did 2 sets of 20. I also, of my own accord, added 2 sets of ten lunges. Today my butt hurts worse. I'm going to back off the lunges ( I started to" feel" my right glute towards the end). See if that was it. If it still hurts then I'll back off the squats (again)....

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Did you or do you have a history with back pain? For some reason I imagine you being younger, 30ish...

Did you get your rack?
in my 40s. ya lower back issues. same spot on my right side for years. went away with consistent training. back now due to lack of training and having to sit all day in front of a computer

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
in my 40s. ya lower back issues. same spot on my right side for years. went away with consistent training. back now due to lack of training and having to sit all day in front of a computer
Did you start training when you were still in pain? Did the pain increase at first then go down?

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
So yesterday I had my telephone appointment with the PT and she said since I had slight improvement to go ahead and add air squats. I did 2 sets of 20. I also, of my own accord, added 2 sets of ten lunges. Today my butt hurts worse. I'm going to back off the lunges ( I started to" feel" my right glute towards the end). See if that was it. If it still hurts then I'll back off the squats (again)....
its good you are narrowing down the activities that cause your back to flare up, while finding some that don't by a process of elimination. You might find that lunges are ok, but squats are not - just speculation on my part, lunges do have a more upright position.

Instagram presented me today with a different image of the same move I did yesterday which was copied from a woman's booty workout which I described as a rear leg raised isometric lunge - which is how I treated it. Its called a Bulgarian split squat. Its seems it is more for the front quads, but I treated it as 50% that and 50% hip flexor and adding a pause for isometric benefit.

As well as the side planks you posted I did a side plank which exercises the opposite side of the hip - inner leg supported to give the adductors (inner thigh groin muscles) some load. The lunges seem to have had a good effect on my hip flexors, but last week I did get a sore adductor - I think a mild strain in the belly of the muscle inner thigh, so I thought I now need to start training my adductors - when will it end? Its the skimboard run and drop that is testing my legs, the monkey crawl doesn't seem to cause problems.

Today I have a nice case of DOMS, doesn't feel like anything bad like muscle pulls. I should be ready to slide when the beaches are expected to open again on Tuesday. Hopefully there hasn't been any Easter stupidity with people ignoring the rules. I reckon it is the water container goblet squats that has given me the DOMS - I did it with a wide knee apart stance and went deep to try and start building adductor strength. I'm well used to lunges at the moment.

edit --> my belief with lunges is to focus on tensing the core - the heavy deadlift sort of forces it, but with a light or body weight only lunge the more upright position does not naturally encourage it so much. I don't think the breathing sequence is so important. Usual disclaimer: I don't know what I am talking about.

Reactions: One-Off

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
So what are you doing with your kettlebells?
Nothing too fancy, just doing something is good enough while gyms are closed. Typically it's something along the lines of
* 100 reps of one handed swings
* 50 snatches
* 50 clean and press
* 50 reverse lunges
* 50 Squat and press

Finish off with something along the lines of 100 pushups or some isolation on the guns ... because vanity.

16KG bell

Sometimes I swap the lunges with floor sweeps or just sub the reverse lunges with forward walking lunges.

Sweeps
) ,

• Love
Reactions: PRCD and Mr J