10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Have you implemented his method with success?
I find the stretches help. Other people I have told about the book have had positive results as well. I never got into the weight lifting aspect of his program. I go to hot yoga in Hermosa and that keeps everything in check and me in shape.

I have a copy of the book if you want to borrow it. I live in your neck of the woods. Let me know.

Some anectdotal evidence. A friend of mine that told me about this guy actually flew to New York a number of times to get treatment from him. He had a back problems and a shoulder injury that was going to require surgery. He said Ming fixed him up and he was better than before. Jason Kidd was supposed to get surgery on his knee and after going to Ming he didn't need surgery. He is big on weightlifting. I think he was a competitive body builder at some point.

No guarantee it will help you, but doubt it's going to hurt you to try. You never know what will work.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I find the stretches help. Other people I have told about the book have had positive results as well. I never got into the weight lifting aspect of his program. I go to hot yoga in Hermosa and that keeps everything in check and me in shape.

I have a copy of the book if you want to borrow it. I live in your neck of the woods. Let me know.

Some anectdotal evidence. A friend of mine that told me about this guy actually flew to New York a number of times to get treatment from him. He had a back problems and a shoulder injury that was going to require surgery. He said Ming fixed him up and he was better than before. Jason Kidd was supposed to get surgery on his knee and after going to Ming he didn't need surgery. He is big on weightlifting. I think he was a competitive body builder at some point.

No guarantee it will help you, but doubt it's going to hurt you to try. You never know what will work.
You wouldn't be offended if I disinfect with wipes would you?

I went for a 10 mile run yesterday. Did the overhead presses (figure that doesn't work my lower back or glute). After running I was feeling good so I did a few sets of bodyweight squats, focusing on form, then some planks. No pull ups, no deadlifts. Woke up today glute still painful.

Interesting note- I took some Advil for the glute pain and it works really good. Not bothering me right now. But I also had some DOMS in the calves from the run (I had not run more than 4 miles in a couple of weeks) and the advil did nothing for that.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
...per day, taking some supplements that help reduce inflammation (fish oil, enzymes and other joint supplements) and eating a diet that is directed a reducing inflammation in the body... .
my chiro said I should take fish oil capsules every day, which the clinic sold and I thought was mainly an attempt to sell me some product, but the chiro said it was important so I took them and continued to take them well into recovery. Nowadays I just try and eat healthy, olive oil, avocados, fish.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
So I figure I have a herniated disc. Woke up today 3 days after the work out and glute was still very painful. The groin and hamstring are no longer sore so I figure that was normal DOMS from the squats. But the pain in the glute is "electric."

So would I be well advised to lay off the weight lifting and pull ups until the pain is gone? ..
if the pt prescribed the cobra stretch and it feels good, then that sounds fine - I was just questioning it thats all.

Herniated disc would be a guess - I was driving myself neurotic imagining images of badly herniated discs that I had been googling on the web when waiting for the x-ray taken at the start of the treatment to come back. It showed nothing in the lower back, but the pain was very real.

So on to your question of would you be well advised to lay off the weight lifting for the time being. I don't think anyone here can give you a good answer on that. Just from my experiences nothing I did during recovery made me feel worse the next day, so if you can attribute increased glute pain the day after a workout, then that would be something that did not match my experiences. Even the slight soreness the next day from the crunch/click chiro adjustment was just a dull soreness and not the sharp localised soreness of my problem, lasted a day max and I soon got used to the adjustments such that no soreness the next day. I was also doing no real workout for a while, just a few easy stretches, body weight supported for all of them and posture exercises.

However my totally unqualified, personal anecdotal experience and answer to your question is just do what your health professionals say. This has worked for me with knee, shoulder and back. You have 2 pts? From what you are describing they sound fairly switched on with back problems, they already prescribed you plenty of things to keep you occupied - mountain climbers, superman/bird planking etc plus some stretches. Anything extra that one feels like doing I say clear it with the pts first.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia

I went for a 10 mile run yesterday. Did the overhead presses (figure that doesn't work my lower back or glute). After running I was feeling good so I did a few sets of bodyweight squats, focusing on form, then some planks. No pull ups, no deadlifts. Woke up today glute still painful.
There can be a tendency to arch the back when overhead pressing and apparently that is bad. Keep the front core tight and the back won't arch. Despite VMs reaction to my belief in what squats and DLs do, I am not changing my mind. They both work my quads and glutes. Squat more emphasis on quad, DL more emphasis on glute - this is what I feel rather than what I read somewhere.

Isn't the way sciatica works is such that the pain is felt lower than where the nerve is pinched, anyone know? i.e what is pinched is not actually in the glute? Regardless, I believe in only doing what the professionals say we can.

On a personal note, I am not going back to retrieve my dumbbells, we are in some sort of vague advisory lockdown at the moment with strong advice to avoid unnecessary travel, but apart from state border crossings not actually enforced. So despite only having a tiny 3KG of combined dumbbell load when doing lunges I really feel like I have strengthened my flexors by concentrating on keeping it slow when descending and using my body weight to put some eccentric load on the flexors. Could be placebo and just building tolerance to the skim run and drop, but doesn't seem to be having adverse effects. Just did 2 days in a row of 2 x surf+ skim a day, just after my last session of the day did some lunges and a few other things. Now resting for 2 full days although the second day of rest is because its the weekend, nice weather arrived and its going to be more crowded on our semi locked down beaches.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
if the pt prescribed the cobra stretch and it feels good, then that sounds fine - I was just questioning it thats all.

Herniated disc would be a guess - I was driving myself neurotic imagining images of badly herniated discs that I had been googling on the web when waiting for the x-ray taken at the start of the treatment to come back. It showed nothing in the lower back, but the pain was very real.

So on to your question of would you be well advised to lay off the weight lifting for the time being. I don't think anyone here can give you a good answer on that. Just from my experiences nothing I did during recovery made me feel worse the next day, so if you can attribute increased glute pain the day after a workout, then that would be something that did not match my experiences. Even the slight soreness the next day from the crunch/click chiro adjustment was just a dull soreness and not the sharp localised soreness of my problem, lasted a day max and I soon got used to the adjustments such that no soreness the next day. I was also doing no real workout for a while, just a few easy stretches, body weight supported for all of them and posture exercises.

However my totally unqualified, personal anecdotal experience and answer to your question is just do what your health professionals say. This has worked for me with knee, shoulder and back. You have 2 pts? From what you are describing they sound fairly switched on with back problems, they already prescribed you plenty of things to keep you occupied - mountain climbers, superman/bird planking etc plus some stretches. Anything extra that one feels like doing I say clear it with the pts first.
Yeah, I'm going to limit myself to PT and short runs. Work on strength when I get pain free. I'm fed up with being hobbled. I only have one PT. She replaced the first guy who moved to another job.

As far as they deadlifts and squats, I was sore in the groin, hamstring , glute and back. I don't know how much was the exercise and how much was whatever is ailing me. I just know my glute was bad, even three days after. After my run the glute was bad but was better the second day.

Hope everyone is staying healthy...

Reactions: Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Yeah, I'm going to limit myself to PT and short runs. Work on strength when I get pain free. I'm fed up with being hobbled. I only have one PT. She replaced the first guy who moved to another job.

As far as they deadlifts and squats, I was sore in the groin, hamstring , glute and back. I don't know how much was the exercise and how much was whatever is ailing me. I just know my glute was bad, even three days after. After my run the glute was bad but was better the second day.

Hope everyone is staying healthy...
one way of looking at the pt change is that you now have had 2 expert opinions on your condition, not just one - both might have offered something useful, but different - this is what I find with the changing massage therapists at the back centre I go to (or rather was before the COVID19 outbreak - I cancelled until further notice). Was it your previous pt who put pull ups on the forbidden list, or both? I would be interested in knowing why pull ups are considered bad if you get a chance to ask.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
The continuing saga...

So I figure I have a herniated disc. Woke up today 3 days after the work out and glute was still very painful. The groin and hamstring are no longer sore so I figure that was normal DOMS from the squats. But the pain in the glute is "electric."

So would I be well advised to lay off the weight lifting and pull ups until the pain is gone? Disc healed? According to the video below, I have a good prognosis. One website said 4-6 weeks to heal (I'm past that). One said 3-4 months. I might be on target for that. Maybe I'm just too eager to get into the weights and am not letting things settle down first. I'm going for a run today but no weights.

And yeah that cobra stretch feels good when I do it. The piriformis stretch not as much.

Told you months ago all the exercise and weights was not the best approach. Yet, here you are again. LMFAO. This was advice from a kinesiologist with a masters degree and former US Olympic Committee strength and conditioning coach. You listened to Von Meister who has zero credentials and you have been in pain what? 4 months? LMFAO AT U DUM DUM.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Told you months ago all the exercise and weights was not the best approach. Yet, here you are again. LMFAO. This was advice from a kinesiologist with a masters degree and former US Olympic Committee strength and conditioning coach. You listened to Von Meister who has zero credentials and you have been in pain what? 4 months? LMFAO AT U DUM DUM.
Listening to you and doing your stretch was the absolute worse thing I could have been doing. Thanks for nothing, you and your master of kinesiology.:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: littlewave

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
The advice was to stretch and do soft tissue work and avoid heavy workouts until you meet some moderate flexibility and mobility standards. Not do one stretch I suggested.
And you were running, doing squats and pullups, etc

You said it yourself..
The never ending saga....
The inability to be free of pain and do the things you want to do the way you want to do them.
And you said in your last post you might be taking a break from all the exercise. And that is what I suggested months ago.

So stop running and stop the squats and follow the stretch program I sent you. You have lost 3-4 months. What do you have to lose at this point? You cant surf right now anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The advice was to stretch and do soft tissue work and avoid heavy workouts until you meet some moderate flexibility and mobility standards. Not do one stretch I suggested.
And you were running, doing squats and pullups, etc

You said it yourself..
The never ending saga....
The inability to be free of pain and do the things you want to do the way you want to do them.
And you said in your last post you might be taking a break from all the exercise. And that is what I suggested months ago.

So stop running and stop the squats and follow the stretch program I sent you. You have lost 3-4 months. What do you have to lose at this point? You cant surf right now anyway.
Maybe you're right. Can't surf now even if I wanted so nothing to lose. Basically I'm supposed to avoid anything that puts my back in flexion. I thought if I did the squats and deadlift with proper form, kept my back straight and rigid it would be OK. Apparently not.

You never sent me any stretch program. Just a pic of the one stretch that turns out to be counter indicated for a herniated disc.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
your squat wouldve been 225 by now and your back strong had u been on an actual strength program
Doubt it. You have to start light and work your way up, correct? That's what I was trying to do. The weight lifting set me back. I kind of experimented with different things, to figure out what was doing it. Deadlifts and squats were always foliowed the next day by pain. And not DOMS pain. Sharp electric shocks in the butt would be how I describe it.

Today I did pull ups because the back stays straight and is even in traction. I could tell that was not good either. Twinges of pain flashing across the back. I think as I get to the top, after a few reps, my abdominals tense and pull my back into flexion. If I'm sore tomorrow I'll know that's why. I also did planks and push ups and felt no problems. Short runs never created problems. Maybe the long ones- too much compression over time?

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
progressive overload. u wud add 15 lbs a week to your squat and deadlift. coaching wud give u correct form. most ppl, even seasoned lifters, do the lifts incorrectly

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
progressive overload. u wud add 15 lbs a week to your squat and deadlift. coaching wud give u correct form. most ppl, even seasoned lifters, do the lifts incorrectly
Yeah. I started deadlifts with 65lbs on the bar. Went up to 75ibs. Started having the pain in the butt the day after With squats I did it with the empty bar 45lbs. Even worse.. So it has nothing to do with the muscle. It's a nerve thing. Probably disc issue. So I'm back to what the MDs and PTs told me- start lifting when the the pain is gone. Right now I'm going to dedicate myself to getting rid of the pain. Believe me, when the time comes, I'm looking forward to lifting....and surfing,

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
your squat wouldve been 225 by now and your back strong had u been on an actual strength program
Haha. Suck it up. No pain no gain. That is for after the pain subsides. He is not there yet.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Yeah. I started deadlifts with 65lbs on the bar. Went up to 75ibs. Started having the pain in the butt the day after With squats I did it with the empty bar 45lbs. Even worse.. So it has nothing to do with the muscle. It's a nerve thing. Probably disc issue. So I'm back to what the MDs and PTs told me- start lifting when the the pain is gone. Right now I'm going to dedicate myself to getting rid of the pain. Believe me, when the time comes, I'm looking forward to lifting....and surfing,
ever thought about shelving the running for a minute ?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
ever thought about shelving the running for a minute ?
I've shelved the long runs (6+ miles) for now. But I also have a heart condition- myocardial bridge (diagnosed last year)- which makes cardiac health a necessity. I'm supposed to keep my blood pressure and resting heart rate down..