1 month to heal before Winter euro trip

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
Last week I pulled into a bearwhole that clamped down shut, and I was unable pull it...next thing I know is I felt my front knee collapse towards rear foot and tag the deck of the board. Immediately afterwards there was that feeling where you know you hurt yourself but i kept surfing as the conditions were very fun, and only one other guy out! it was kinda pumping 2-4ft hollow running rights on a nice reef.

So I Just got back from the doctor with a sheet of PT (as if its a miniscus tear) and an xray was taken (waiting to hear results). It doesnt feel painful sleeping or walking, just when squatting/pumping/ turning. basically surfing is only thing it doesnt like.

Whats the bestest quickest way to make sure I'm close to 100% for a 3 wk serf trip?
-are there some special cortizone kinda healing pills?
PT & R-I-C-E for sure.
I'm wearing a compression neoprene braces i wear under knee pads when riding moto.
Ultrasound ? Senora Doc didnt mention this but i've had it work before from overuse cycling strain in knee.

Really need some help as we have never been to Europe and it would be really sweet to be stoked and surfing like a gremlin again.
mahalos

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
If it's a meniscus tear it will heal over time. More of a pain tolerance issue. Best thing is to be on your feet when you can, walk, work on range of motion....keep moving but keep the chances of sudden stress very low.

NO ICE. You need heat to increase blood flow to the injured site. Keep it warm and keep moving.

One month is more then enough to get well enough for a trip.

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
solid, how about one of those tens machines. seems like stimulation couldnt hurt

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
solid, how about one of those tens machines. seems like stimulation couldnt hurt
Why try and stimulate muscle motor units by shocking them when the same thing happens automatically when you walk?

When tolerable, try some body weight squats, step ups onto a bench or chair etc. Light jogs are ok if tolerable but take it easy with the distance so you don't aggravate it.

Just stay as active as you can.