“I can’t breathe” 2.0

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
You learned the rudiments intuitively.

Like intuitive drummers, some people are intuitive rioters.

Some people need help.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't have the chance to riot.
This is pretty close to where my parents live, I know a lot of business owners and workers and have lots of friends in the area. This is bad.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
OK, how's this: You don't understand the concept of empathy. It's very simple, and you don't get it.
Empathy is actually a very complicated emotion. Any psychologist will tell you this.

When someone tells me I don't understand the concept of empathy it usually ends up it is they who have no concept of empathy.

They are usually confusing empathy with compassion.

Empathy and compassion are two different things, with empathy being a much deeper and unpredictable emotion.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
How are the riots an example of empathy gone wrong?
I have written essays on this here, I will not waste my time doing it again.

I'll try to explain quickly, sorry if I explain poorly.

Empathy is a deeply felt emotion that is void of ethics.

Compassion is by definition ethical and to some degree emotionally detached.

Empathy feels another's pain and suffering deeply, where it goes from there is anyone's guess.

For instance "something must be done/those people must be liberated" can lead an empathetic citizenry into a war it cannot win and where very terrible acts and atrocities are committed.

Empathy can be used to help or hurt, compassion is only used to help.

Can you be compassionate without having some amount of empathy first?
It requires very minimal empathy.

All humans experience pain and some level of loss.

But people experience various levels of pain and loss.

So while one may not be able to empathize with for instance extreme levels of loss and individual experiences, they can still to a small degree and therefore be compassionate towards an individual.

When a situation call for compassion strong feelings of empathy can work to the detriment of the person who needs compassion.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III

Empathy feels another's pain and suffering deeply, where it goes from there is anyone's guess.

For instance "something must be done/those people must be liberated" can lead an empathetic citizenry into a war it cannot win and where very terrible acts and atrocities are committed.

So while one may not be able to empathize with for instance extreme levels of loss and individual experiences, they can still to a small degree and therefore be compassionate towards an individual.

When a situation call for compassion strong feelings of empathy can work to the detriment of the person who needs compassion.
Thank you FM casa_mugrienta for pointing out the definition of compassion. I hadn't ever really thought about it. I think that it's empathy that we need right now. We need to feel the pain of others, as much as that is possible, to address the systemic change needed in America. We need to feel the pain of others (or even be made to feel like an "other" which for white people is nearly impossible) and channel that into changing the system as a whole. We need what many would consider radical change. I don't think that what you appear to consider compassion is enough to do that. Maybe there's a big grey area between empathy and compassion...I don't know.

Remember "compassionate conservatism?" Did not work. We should try empathy, not crippling empathy, but a healthy dose. It's worth a shot, maybe.

Reactions: afoaf

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Empathy is actually a very complicated emotion. Any psychologist will tell you this.

When someone tells me I don't understand the concept of empathy it usually ends up it is they who have no concept of empathy.

They are usually confusing empathy with compassion.

Empathy and compassion are two different things, with empathy being a much deeper and unpredictable emotion.
Issues with emotions are usually quantitative rather than qualitative.

You want to be able to feel those emotions in the right amount under the right circumstance,.

Ifal's bluster is just that.

He's showing off in front of the boys.

Reactions: mundus

GoodOlBoy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 11, 2013
HerdO'Cats, USA
Issues with emotions are usually quantitative rather than qualitative.

You want to be able to feel those emotions in the right amount under the right circumstance,.

Ifal's bluster is just that.

He's showing off in front of the boys.
Are you saying it's an automatic thinking response brought on by the framing effect on behavior, which often occurs during conflict and emotionally charged discourse, conflated by motivated reasoning?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Your premise is that most of the protestors are from the hood.

I think you are very wrong about that.
And you think that racism doesn't exist.

It's because you can't empath.

To be a fully functional human being, you need to have both empathy and compassion.

How can you have compassion if you don't understand what other people are going through?

This is why emotionally retarded people are always in denial, until it happens to them or somebody they love.

Then they get it.

Reactions: afoaf and Leaverite

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Are you saying it's an automatic thinking response brought on by the framing effect on behavior, which often occurs during conflict and emotionally charged discourse, conflated by motivated reasoning?
No.

Almost. You left out secondary stressors and temperment biasing neuroception.

That is the key.

That is where all the fun starts. Due to stress levels and temperment an event is perceived as not safe.

From there, there is a "bottom up" cascade.

The motivated reasoning is an expression of automatic thinking (due the diversion of resources away from the cognitive system in response to the ANS's perception of a threat) causing the person to create a self serving frame.

That when the framing effect kicks in. It's an effect not a cause. Hence, the name.

Last edited:
Reactions: hal9000

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Do you think the two emotions are mutually exclusive?

It seems like you do.

That is where you are going wrong.

Empathy isn't good or bad. It's just feed back from your nervous system.

I have students that come to me and say they need accommodations because they have ADHD.

I say, "No. That is your super power. You are crazy not to view it as such."

There are certain jobs where you would need to manage your empathy.

A dentist for example. Or a slaughter house worker.

But humans are adaptable.

The adult is learning how to manage his or her temperament and biology.

The empathic adult learns to act compassionately.

I would say that the person who over relies on empathy is vulnerable to emotional appeals.

Maybe that is what you are trying to say?

IF so we agree.

As a teacher I would say I am more empathic than average, that is one of my super powers. I just have to weird it effectively.

My analytical nature is the result of my hyper compensation stemming from a desire to get a handle on my empathy.

I got both traits in my tool box.

Find the golden mean!

Last edited: