“High performance” midlength?

Sep 14, 2019
I know a high performance midlength is kind of an oxymoron but I’m looking for advice on a board around 6’8-7-4 that has glide but that I can squeeze as much performance out of as possible. I just Picked up a used 7’4 Maurice Cole red dingo- 7’4x 22x 3 , was working amazing at my spot as a thruster this past swell.

The spot I surf mostly is a generally crowded point (nice to have paddle power here) with usually an easy but crowded take off (sometimes it gets pitchy on a lower tide), then has a slow middle section (this is where the extra glide is critical so I can Keep my speed or step up a bit towards the nose to make the slow section), then a nice long inside Section where u can throw the board around a bit (this is where I want the most performance possible).

Any off the rack ideas or shapers from ventura to SD that I might talk to? I’m 5’11 around 205. My 6’8 larmo honey badger single fin (20x2.75) and 6’1 cb octafish (~21x3”) go great here most of the time but sometimes I dont Make it past the middle section on these boards if the swell isn’t lined up perfectly (which happens often). I’d prefer to stick with a 5 fin futures set up but I’m open to whatever

Brrr

Nep status
Mar 4, 2008
Roe Dylin
www.worshipskateboards.com
I would look at a Gary Hanel astro egg. I just picked up a GH Bonzer egg that goes pretty well in steeper waves, handles slow sections better than I thought. Makes handling strong current with full winter gear not as miserable.

Sep 14, 2019
Ya lost me there. The design brief of the Red Dingo would appear to fit the niche you are looking for. What isn't the Red Dingo doing that you need it to do?
I’d probably look into a smaller red dingo but it’s out of my price range unfortunately. I’m only seeing it online at like $800+ tax and shipping. I need Some more time on the one i have also

Sep 14, 2019
I would look at a Gary Hanel astro egg. I just picked up a GH Bonzer egg that goes pretty well in steeper waves, handles slow sections better than I thought. Makes handling strong current with full winter gear not as miserable.
Are his Astro eggs super foiled out.? I had a 6’6 teardrop style bonzer by gh that was listed at 2.75 and it was crazy thin (for me at least). Didn’t totally jive with me because it didn’t have float for the types of wave I was describing.

Brrr

Nep status
Mar 4, 2008
Roe Dylin
www.worshipskateboards.com
Are his Astro eggs super foiled out.? I had a 6’6 teardrop style bonzer by gh that was listed at 2.75 and it was crazy thin (for me at least). Didn’t totally jive with me because it didn’t have float for the types of wave I was describing.
He does foils his rails which I feel makes them more responsive. If you go custom you could ask for beefier rails. Honestly if you are in So Cal I imagine you have tons of shapers to choose from. Go custom get exactly what you want.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly
Sep 14, 2019
He does foils his rails which I feel makes them more responsive. If you go custom you could ask for beefier rails. Honestly if you are in So Cal I imagine you have tons of shapers to choose from. Go custom get exactly what you want.
Yea I’m thinking of stamps

Anyone have any other recommendations?

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
High-performance mid-length = mini mal funboard. You must get it as a thruster and try very hard to emulate short boarding manoeuvres. Think any board in the 7ft range in 1998.

Reactions: Retropete

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Maybe a Huevo Ranchero from Fletcher Chouinard? Or something along the lines of a Takayama Howard Mini but a little souped up?

On thing is that these boards tend to lend themselves to a slower, more relaxed style so I think if you go too high performance it might feel (and look) little weird. Devon Howard and Torren Martyn seem to have found the perfect balance between performance and style on mid lengths so you might look at their setups.