“Buy a house at the beach!” They said. “Build equity! Score a ton of surf!”

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i actually live a pretty simple life, other than travel. travel i used to throw some money around.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
i have a leak somewhere. no clue where but the water bill went up $40 and the soil around the house is always damp now. its a big deal. gona have insurance take a look. but i fear theyll wanna shut off thewater permanently til its fixed and i will have to move for awhile. its gonna suck in all ways
You may have already done this but turn off all taps in the house and check to see if your meter is still running. If it is, you have a leak on your side of the meter and it is your responsibility to fix. Depending on your deductible it may be better to fix it on your own vs making a claim that may put you on the naught list with your insurer (unless you have USAA).
Do you have any landscape irrigation around the perimeter of your house? If so, that is most likely the source of your leak and why the ground is damp. If you do have irrigation around the perimeter, it may just be a faulty solenoid valve that is not seating correctly when shutting off or a crack in the pipe feeding a valve. Unfortunately, it could be many things including: toilet flapper not seating and continually running, leaky faucets, worn copper or cracked PE piping under your slab or anywhere from the meter to your house or someone messed with your irrigation timer and you're just watering longer than before. Regardless, do some sleuthing before calling your insurance Co. and making a claim.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
update. So the total quote to fix the blown off section of roof, the blown off shingles, and the piece of flashing that blew off is only $2200. palatable. And ironically, my insurance rep called me just as i was texting with the roofer to tell me that my named storm deductible is in fact MUCH lower, at only $1500, instead of the $9400 she told me yesterday. But still, with a relatively modest repair cost, it just seems better not to make a claim at all, and just pay the guy. I would only get a check for $700 from the insurance company, and then all of the awful shyte described above would then happen to me, courtesy of an insurance company's wrath. The emergency tarping cost nearly $700, that was kind of a shocker. but offset by what i think of as an affordable repair quote

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Is anyone else kind of sick of adulting this year? I'm literally regressing back to the cocoon of the early/mid 90's. Smoking grass, listening to grunge and Phish and Bob Marley, and my hair is getting really moppy again. Not "Random Guy moppy" yet, but I'm gaining on him ;)

Reactions: billypilgrim

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
I trip out on how that house by the hook hasn’t fallen in. I remember the officers club in Fort Ord falling in the drink. Pretty nice right if you had access. Thank you brother at Granite.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Adulting is so 2016...listen to YEM on blast and smoke awayyy!:jamon:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Is anyone else kind of sick of adulting this year? I'm literally regressing back to the cocoon of the early/mid 90's. Smoking grass, listening to grunge and Phish and Bob Marley, and my hair is getting really moppy again. Not "Random Guy moppy" yet, but I'm gaining on him ;)
This has been my thing for a while, Wifey handles the adulting.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
SF Bay area is a whole other animal. They're living on fault city up there as much or more than LA metro. San Andreas goes right thru the middle or it.
Decent interactive fault map here.

1596837839184.png

Edit:

Ya, if you live in a designated 100 year flood zone (old creek or river flood plain) you will pay a premium for flood insurance, even in CA.
Friends in town live downhill from a reservoir. They pay extra homeowner's insurance for flood risk because of it.

Reactions: Random Guy

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I don’t know how or why, but our home is still covered under the national flood relief something or other, so we only pay 500 a year extra. This other home we almost bought 5 years ago before choosing this one would have been 4K per year! Just for flood, in addition to regular HI

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Shet, I'm the only one holding my house together, new puppy/selling MIL's house. Lord of the Flies without me holding it together. Caddyshack with me holding it together.:crazy2: And the school year starts in a few weeks.:poop:

• Wow
Reactions: keenfish

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Cool map!

did you notice you live pretty close to a red line?
i didn’t see a legend, so Im sure what red means.
probably nothing bad
That red line is THEE infamous San Andreas fault.

Most land west of fault is shifting northward 1.5 inch per year, on average.
Usually is does in larger chunks at a time every 50-100 years though.

Last edited:
Reactions: GromsDad