“Buy a house at the beach!” They said. “Build equity! Score a ton of surf!”

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Switched from hurricanes/tsunamis to fires going from Oahu to Oregon. Walking the dog through the neighborhood and seeing the burnt snags (from early 90's) always a reminder, nature can fck your sh$t sideways!

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Switched from hurricanes/tsunamis to fires going from Oahu to Oregon. Walking the dog through the neighborhood and seeing the burnt snags (from early 90's) always a reminder, nature can fck your sh$t sideways!
Those pesky volcanos also...

A lot of extremely big dig beachfront homes in Capitola and Santa Cruz. They all sit up on steep, shale bluffs that are slowly eroding each year. The price you pay today for a piece of property that is slowly being wittled away.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I think I might move to Catalina Island. Or Central Wyoming. Can't decide.
Yellowstone is getting ready to Blow. Find a homestead outside of the blast area. At least you won't pay CA income tax.

I have been looking at Idaho.

The thing with Idaho, Don't bring California with you. A new start. To enjoy Idaho you have to embrace Idaho.

Last edited:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I have earthquake coverage and it's definitely not that much. I think it's around $200ish a year. Although I'm starting to wonder if I need it, because I'm probably 40 miles as the crow flies from the San Andreas.

Although what you said above is more or less true for flood coverage. FEMA administers it and fixes the rates, with your price based on risk. I'm up a hill and well above any kind of creek and it's $400ish a year. Fook dat. I have a friend with a house right with a creek in his backyard who pays $1200 a year. Ouch!
Ya, if you live in a designated 100 year flood zone (old creek or river flood plain) you will pay a premium for flood insurance, even in CA.

It may be similar for earthquake insurance, not sure? If you're within a few miles of being on top of an fairly active fault (by 100 year historical records) you might pay more than someone living 15-20 miles from one. Answered my own question......

https://www.valuepenguin.com/california-earthquake-insurance-cost

It DOES matter where you live in CA for coverage costs, based on proximity to active faults. Looks like costs vary widely by insurer, too.

Earthquake deductibles used to be a standard 15% of insured coverage ($300k structure coverage has a $45k deductible). They've now allowed adjustments to that based on 5-25% deductibles now. Less deductible, higher premuim cost and vice-versa. Average earthquake insurance can be almost double your normal policy coverage. Some higher risk areas it's probably worth it if you have a home in high 6 figures nearing $1mil. But will be steep to pay if you want a lower deductible.

Like I said, in most moderate quakes, earthquake damage will likely not be enough to claim. But if we did have a major near 7.0 centered in the dense metro areas of LA/OC, we're talking possibly 100's of 1000's of homes with major damage. Insurance companies will be screwed, unless many homes aren't covered for it. Those homes will likely be abandoned. Not sure you'd want to stay around after anyway. It would be like a fire zone, but likely much larger and wide-spread.

We've had a few 7.0+ earthquakes in So Cal the last 30 years (Landers, Hector Mine), but they were way out in the desert BFeast of Barstow, so damage in LA metro was next to nothing. You really have to be right on top of them to get bad damage.

There was a 5.8 off the coast of Oceanside in 1986 that caused some damage to a few homes on immediate coast, but not much. Whittier quake (5.9) in 1987 caused $250-300 million damage, but mostly had to be on top of the epicenter within a few miles to get major damage. We all know what 6.7 Northridge did in 1994 (57 deaths, 8700+ injured, near $40 billion damage). Sylmar/San Fernando (6.6) was big in 1971, though most here don't remember or weren't around for that one. It was as bad as Northridge, some areas worse, some less.

Those all were big time wake-up calls to the insurance industry.

Last edited:

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
“Ton of surf in NY”, maybe in an alternate universe
Santa Cruz County. The beach and its erosion.

The Mountains. 10 minutes away. It can rain 3 inches on the coastal flats. At the same time it can rain 10+ inches in the mountains. A drought year. You buy a nice little cottage up in the woods next to a creek... This is a great post. The smart selling out to the new... No realtor will give you this info.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Living in Califoria.

As a residence. Do you want to pay 58% of your hard owned earnings to be a California Resident??? LEAVE!!!
I would like to have a primary residence, established. and pay 33% tax at the most. Outside of California. Keep my Cali property as a vacation option. Day count. California is like an Alabama tick. Cash. To Be All You Can Be...

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Living in Califoria.

As a residence. Do you want to pay 58% of your hard owned earnings to be a California Resident???
Experiencing a Santa Cruz county at the full level. Love Creek. You might dance around. This is a whole community that was buried under a landslide. To day.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
when you file a HOI claim you're on the blacklist for like three years and rates are worse. They don't like it when you use their insurance . . .
Yep. I've owned my house for over 25 years and never had a homeowners claim of any kind other than Sandy. I just paid the premiums and never shopped it. With Sandy the majority of my damage was covered by flood insurance but I did have a section of roof blow off and some water damage to ceilings as a result. Homeowners paid out $12,000 to cover that damage. Ever since they have hassled me about every other year with home inspections and threats of cancelling me if I didn't do this or that. Minor sidewalk cracks and little nitpick sh!t like that. The one that pissed me off the most was they demanded I paint the North side of my house within 30 days in the dead of winter because the inspector did not like the condition of the paint......I kid you not. It needed powerwashing more so than paint because the sun never sees that side of the house. Ever try to power wash and paint when its hovering around freezing? What the fuk does that have to do with the mission of Homeowners insurance? In the 17 years I owned my house prior to Sandy not once did the homeowners insurance company do a home inspection.

• Angry
Reactions: Mr Doof

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i have a leak somewhere. no clue where but the water bill went up $40 and the soil around the house is always damp now. its a big deal. gona have insurance take a look. but i fear theyll wanna shut off thewater permanently til its fixed and i will have to move for awhile. its gonna suck in all ways

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
You can put together a system to protect your house from wildfire starting at about $5k, especially if you already have a standing water source like a pool. If not you just need a PortA Tank.
http://forestry.alaska.gov/Assets/pdfs/home/firewise09.pdf
https://www.wildlandwarehouse.com/

Why it seems like no one who lives in Malibu, etc. has ever thought of this is beyond me. It’s not like they couldn’t afford it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJ and HarryLopez

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
when you file a HOI claim you're on the blacklist for like three years and rates are worse. They don't like it when you use their insurance . . .
article todays' NYT about "Business catastrophe Insurance" not paying
pandemic related claims.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Dont feel bad Nj only got a couple of good hours out of it, fastest dropping swell ever!
With the GF in north NJ for the week...Brought a couple boards. Yeah it was fun for an hour before dark.