“Buy a house at the beach!” They said. “Build equity! Score a ton of surf!”

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Shet, I'm the only one holding my house together, new puppy/selling MIL's house. Lord of the Flies without me holding it together. Caddyshack with me holding it together.:crazy2: And the school year starts in a few weeks.:poop:
See, every time I even hint at that, mrs subway gets pissy :censored:

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
That sounds like a challenging situation, Mr. Lopez. You will work it just fine, I suspect....
Thanks for the confidence! Like most things in life, ebbs and flows, ups and downs... Although I was told there would be no math whilst erbbing, my 5th grade math teacher/high school water polo coach who still is a mentor and good friend enlightened me with his explanation:
The highest level of happiness you experience will match your lowest level of sadness. Like a sine curve (or sinusoid, which is a mathematical curve that describes a smooth periodic oscillation). So, if you want to experience a high level of happiness, you have to visit the trenches of sadness/disappointment/grief. Related to sports, if you really want to enjoy that success, you have to experience frustration, pain, loss, suffering... otherwise that victory will feel unearned. I have revisited that talk so many times on my life, and it continues to remind me that good and bad need each other. It doesn't make the hardships any less, and it does provide an opportunity to see happy down the road.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
USAA was great with my garage incident. I thought we screwed up by calling them. They had our garage boarded up within hours and went after the drivers insurance. We got a new garage door, plus a 7k check for damaged property. I think I have to wait for next year to see if our premium is affected.

84C657C2-50DA-4BE6-9349-9B6F3BFC25A8.jpeg

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
USAA was great with my garage incident. I thought we screwed up by calling them. They had our garage boarded up within hours and went after the drivers insurance. We got a new garage door, plus a 7k check for damaged property. I think I have to wait for next year to see if our premium is affected.

View attachment 95957
Jeezus
story time?

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Yikes
kick that friends mom out of the carpool!
Oh I think we won’t be hearing from her again. I think she had to pay out of pocket. The day we got the check she was asking my wife if we heard from the insurance. She sounded upset.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
update. So the total quote to fix the blown off section of roof, the blown off shingles, and the piece of flashing that blew off is only $2200. palatable. And ironically, my insurance rep called me just as i was texting with the roofer to tell me that my named storm deductible is in fact MUCH lower, at only $1500, instead of the $9400 she told me yesterday. But still, with a relatively modest repair cost, it just seems better not to make a claim at all, and just pay the guy. I would only get a check for $700 from the insurance company, and then all of the awful shyte described above would then happen to me, courtesy of an insurance company's wrath. The emergency tarping cost nearly $700, that was kind of a shocker. but offset by what i think of as an affordable repair quote

So a year later, how are things with the home? More equity or less?

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
this thread brings back interesting memories. Last biggish storm we got. Wish I got photos of the bad stuff, I don’t have the nuts to share the image of me post yellow jacket attack.
D8A8E1C2-1760-4C0B-A249-0973322734C0.jpegD0BF22F7-5AF6-4CD0-9797-F9E8B44B9EA5.jpeg