Search results

1. D

short n fat boards: ride engine escape pod

Well gents I finally got the hang of foilsurfing so can give the Escape Pod an honest review - I just sold it! I ended up buying a 5' 8" Marlon Lewis on Craigslist to learn on, and made it much easier. I'm now learning to pump and the length of that board was a hindrance. I ended up on the...
  2. D

Learning the basics?

Check the ikitesurf.com classified foil/foilboard section, lots of Bay Area postings for wingboards, foilsurf boards, and foils I would also advise on getting a full carbon foil for safety, you want that thing to be as light and benign as possible when it meets your face or other body parts...
  3. D

Learning the basics?

That's definitely the best spot for learning. I would go all the way to the west side of the Patch until I was able to actual ride in a controlled manner - it's pretty out of the way. Weekdays are pretty chill too. Learning how to actually get up on the foil is key, you should get at least...
  4. D

Learning the basics?

Hi JLW - what is your previous experience with surfing and foiling? Have you been able to get a chance to practice flying? I don't wing (yet! garage full) but have done about everything else including kitefoiling, which is how I learned to fly the foil. I actually run a smaller wing for...
  5. D

Learning the basics?

Yeah its the same guy who gives kiting and foiling lessons in the bay
  6. D

Wingfoiling In The Cold, wetsuit advice????

I'm in northern california and the water is cold as sh!t here (air and water both in 50s). I wear an O'Neill Psychotech 5/4 which is super stretchy and warm.
  7. D

Foil Froth Fever

Wow JDS I just had the same thing happen to me a couple months ago - so scary! I too blew a takeoff and took a wing to the rib, my wetsuit provided little protection. My wing tips are all a bit rounder now for safety!
  8. D

repairing scratches in carbon foil

Any tips for getting the bubbles out of the resin? I usually have a few trapped from mixing and they get stuck under the plastic?
  9. D

Footage from yesterday

snark attack!! yuckity yuck yuck i think you missed a few posts
  10. D

send me a check and I will be glad to:ROFLMAO:
  11. D

Post your Foil Pics HERE

How'd you get that shot of me? I thought I was on a solo sesh! :ROFLMAO:
  12. D

SF

Caught an evening session in Sonoma County Friday evening to catch the rare combo of 1 to 2 ft waves and glassy conditions - I actually made more rides than not - woo hoo! But there was head high swell starting to show, and I was laughing at myself cuz whoever heard of a surfer getting pissed...
  13. D

I got a few barnacle scrapes on my Armstrong 1050 wing. Not super deep, but deep enough to think I should fill them? What do you guys recommend for filling (or just sanding out) scratches on a carbon wing? Bye bye stripes it was nice knowing you!
  14. D

SF

Haha Henry F - your excitement may be tempered when you realize all of this fun requires a 5/4 suit with a hood! On kite days in the ocean, air temp is high 50s water temp is low 50s. The bay is a little warmer.
  15. D

SF

Clay Island, is that you? https://clayisland.com/ Up north of SF proper, I have only seen a few foil SUPpers. I have seen one other guy who is proning on a small Jimmy Lewis SUP, but otherwise its just me waiting for the small days. I am still a kook but have gotten a few down the line rides...
  16. D

SF

Henryf I am in the northern reaches of the SF Bay Area. DM me your contact info and I can give you the lowdown on surf and kite foiling. It depends where in the bay you will be.
  17. D

mid-back pain from paddling

see my Jan 4 post above - proper paddling technique has been a game changer, plus doing some between session exercises by Kale Brock and Cris Mills - feeling much better these days apart from the skeletal stuff that will never heal!
  18. D

Armstrong riders experiences

Um yeah, I don't have the R & D budget for that one! :oops: The only time I sanded a wing like that was when I smashed my buddy's LF rocket foil wing into a rock and had to reshape the leading edge - and that was just to keep from having to buy him a new one.
  19. D

Armstrong riders experiences

My 1550 experienced its first down the line rides yesterday - and it liked it!! I am so excited but noone besides you guys even understands what the hell we are doing :LOL: I remember this feeling from 30 years ago - awesome!
  20. D

Cheap Aliexpress Foil Review

True! I wasted a whole season a few years ago trying to learn to kite foil on a POS liquid force "happy foil". My buddy lent me his liquid force rocket foil, which was easier, but nowhere near the armstrong kit I have been riding - night and day.