Search results

1. M

Varial RIP

PU blanks are fairly low tech. The raw chemical materials can be combined into two separate liquid mixes and stored. When they are mixed it is "self blowing" (my terminology) because the cross linking agent isocyanate foams when it kicks off the polymerisation process. The liquids can be mixed...
  2. M

Varial RIP

yeah, I think hydroflex started off as Bufo surfboards from Germany. XPS foam that had the fibreglass lam punched into the foam at intervals (or something like that). I think this demo exaggerates how strong it is - rigged with 12oz glassing :LOL:
  3. M

Varial RIP

that is a good thing to do with any stringerless blank, particularly if they were thermoformed rocker with springback issues like Sharky was saying.
  4. M

Varial RIP

That's what I was told anyway by the shop that sold it to me - a place which did a lot of aeromodelling supplies. So XTR use the blue coloured from DOW? I would have thought they would use white or grey XPS for cosmetic reasons. There are a number of manufacturers of XPS - Owens Corning is the...
  5. M

Varial RIP

ok, so I was on the right track when I first suggested that rectangular slabs thick enough to accommodate rocker were being supplied. I also said "or maybe as Sharky alluded to, they are thermoformed - needs a high temp to avoid springback, doesn't sound cheap. " So Evonik say it can be...
  6. M

Varial RIP

or maybe as Sharky alluded to, they are thermoformed - needs a high temp to avoid springback, doesn't sound cheap.
  7. M

Varial RIP

I've never seen a varial, so based on descriptions of the foam it might be SAN or PMI (Styrene acrylonitrile or Polymethacrylimide), brand names Gurit Corecell, Evonik Rohacell and CA composites PMI, The lowest density of Corecell is 65 kg/m3 which is 4.1 lb/ft3 so too heavy for a blank. The...
  8. M

How many surfs before you ditch a board?

cure temperature rather than length of cure more important for epoxy. Take the boar home and keep it somewhere warm for at least a few days. This is likely to yield better results than a cold cure over the course of say a week. Those timeframes are just ballpark guesses and how I would treat a...
  9. M

FLOW BAR Invented by a surfer, for surfers

when full body weight is too hard for whatever reason I think some form of assistance is a good idea. The last month and a half I've been working on pistol squats which are impossibly difficult for me without assistance. I don't think that device would help with those - resting my hand on a...
  10. M

*** Official Rip Curl Bells Beach Pro Contest Thread ***

yes, they finished and the commentary mentioned the better swell prediction that will be arriving wednesday. Tide became too deep for the bowl on that meagre swell. They must have their reasons for not letting it continue at Rincon which can be good small wave surf at high tide.
  11. M

Lower Back Pain

@One-Off so your QL version is just like that but leans sideways? Efficient stretch in that it does a lot of things in one pose. The triangle stretches the abductor which helps put sideways load on one QL without much bending of the spine. I have never been prescribed neck stretches
  12. M

DHD MF Eclipse

Available to order in your size?
  13. M

DHD MF Eclipse

@casa_mugrienta yes, the vast majority of boars I see are either local brand in close proximity to where they are built or the big brands in plain PU/PE. I've seen two Albums, one a couple of years ago and the other more recently. I spoke to one happy Album owner in the carpark because we had...
  14. M

Lower Back Pain

@One-Off I was given those exercises on an instruction sheet and they weren't named. I just looked up your exercises and one of them does seem to be the cat cow. The other one is not a bridge - upper back and rear pelvis remain on floor as lower back moves gently off the ground. Only pelvis...
  15. M

Lower Back Pain

I had to look up QL - its an abbreviation for a pair of back muscles. I looked up a QL bend and saw a youtube of someone standing with a dumbell in one hand and bending sideways. I discovered that I have inadvertently been exercising the QL muscles - the yoga triangle pose. A difference between...
  16. M

DHD MF Eclipse

@Hazrus, as far as I know Victoria doesn't produce any of the big brands, its just boutique shapers, some of them shaping by hand and factories with machines doing local little known brands and boards for surshops. Maybe Maurice Cole gets some made locally, when he is here, but he is sort of...
  17. M

DHD MF Eclipse

Maybe not enough surfboar building in the UK. The British made lay up resin, gel coat resin, woven roving and chopped strand glass are interchangeable for making kayaks, dinghies and boats, but not surfboars. Chopped strand takes too much resin, the rovings too coarse or the wrong weight - I...
  18. M

DHD MF Eclipse

That's interesting, the British pound is very slightly overvalued compared to the US$ on the Big Mac index, I would have thought that due to the US$ being the unofficial world reserve currency it would command a higher value based on that meaning just about every other currency would be...
  19. M

DHD MF Eclipse

Yes, @Black and @pterodroma , the Aku machine directory listed Ocean Magic as one the 2 UK factories and that's where I got the Pyzel price from and assumed they must be made locally. So blanks, surfboard grade resin and glass are being imported. Its not that the UK is incapable of...
  20. M

DHD MF Eclipse

:LOL: And I have to look at twenty photos of a 6' 2" to find out its not a 5' 6". Can you help me understand why UK surfers are prepared to pay 188 great British Big Macs for a locally built Pyzel? According to the Aku machine directory there are two machines in Cornwall. Does the UK blow...