Search results

1. R

Best foil for beginners, 2022 version?

I agree on the mid aspect for learning. More stable than HA wings and your jibe, tack and foot switch progression will go much faster.
  2. R

Wingfoiling In The Cold, wetsuit advice????

Yes, it's called the Lewis Hunting Response, check out this iKitesurf post. I think if you do it right you can warm up your fingers before the barfies set in. But it works either way, if you're patient enough to take a short break and get the blood flowing.
  3. R

Impact vests

I have a couple of Billabong vests I bought for wake foiling (required by law). I often wear one winging and it does help with warmth on cold days. One of my buddies got speared in the back and it poked a hole in his vest but did no damage to him. I like the extra flotation as well. I took a...
  4. R

I recently switched to 3mm 5-fingered gloves for winging as the water warms here in New England. I can tolerate the 5 mm lobster style gloves as long as the wind is consistent enough to allow copious harness use. My fingers still get cold in the 3 mm but I can tolerate it until I have a chance...
  5. R

Progression Project

I am also a glutton for almost any foil content. The PP sometimes gets too involved in numbers like 980 vs 1210, which only makes sense if you know what manufacturer(s) they're talking about. I much prefer the episodes where they're discussing concepts or technique or historical stuff. I met...
  6. R

Foilfeed

Heavy conditions, much heavier than video can capture I am sure. Like Juan says, it would be nice to have a harbor or rivermouth for access.
  7. R

I use a 4/3 suit in April/May, with a hooded vest if it's a cold day.
  8. R

Foil Froth Fever

I am as stoked as ever, but I've only been foiling for 14+ months and winging for 8. Summer is the doldrums for wind in the northeast US so we're doing well to wing one day a week (even then it may be marginal). Living 1.5 hours inland means I spend a lot of time behind boats, which is a blast...
  9. R

Armstrong riders experiences

The new HA925 is the real deal. I just got it yesterday. Unbelievable pumping and gliding. This clip is my very first pull on it: After I had a few more pulls and got used to it I pumped twice as far as I ever have gone. It turns really well too.
  10. R

Leash for foil

Keep at it and let us know how you make out.
  11. R

Leash for foil

I predict you will find this is not the case. We don't use a leash when wake foiling and on a windy day it can be a royal pain in the ass to chase down a runaway foil board. When your board eventually catches a swell it will run way faster than you can swim. Best wishes I've been using a Kaohi...
  12. R

Fast forward a few months, how are you liking the 1125? I have been holding off since I figure the day after I buy it Armstrong will release a 1400 HA or something like that. I picked up a 1550 V2 and have really enjoyed it for winging and some of my wake sessions. It doesn't have the low stall...
  13. R

Post your Foil Pics HERE

It’s really fun doing DWers with a wing. Fall off and you can get started again. I would love to progress to this level and have nothing in hand though. Small board, small foil and just ripping the chop and pumping between bumps. Yes please
  14. R

Cheap Aliexpress Foil Review

Yes, that looks to be the same. I paid $378 with free shipping and $100 off for getting an Amazon VISA card. I sold my Slingshot foil on a kite surf classified site (when one of my friends expressed interest I kind of talked him out of it). It sold right away at 1/2 retail price so the guy got a...
  15. R

Cheap Aliexpress Foil Review

I held off writing this until I had some water time. I bought a cheap Chinese foil (under $400) off Amazon for something new and different to experiment with. It was cheaper than I could have bought a single front wing for my existing foil system. Here's the link...
  16. R

Ban foils in surf areas

Interesting article here: https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/why-hydrofoils-should-be-banned-from-crowded-surf-zones Some of the comments are a bit ridiculous; I.e. “foils are for big waves” and the video of Jeff Clark makes me think WTF was he doing, besides not watching where he was going.
  17. R

Thanks for the report. I bought the 1850 and 1250 a month ago but have only winged a handful of times on the 1850. I am loving the Armstrong quality and lightweight, low drag foils. I tried to wait until spring but was in a shop in FL and once I put my hands on them it was over. I am confident...
  18. R

Surfing with Wing Foil

colinelz - get behind a boat to get your foiling dialed in. I spent last summer and fall foiling on a lake as much as possible (I bought a boat as soon as I started foiling). Get competent so that foiling feels second nature; work on pumping, transferring across wakes, etc. It will make your...
  19. R

So I tried to wing a prone board.

Check out Larry Foiler on YouTube. He has a couple of really good videos showing how he does it. He does them strapless, which must be significantly more difficult. In some of the comments he mentions that it took him a LOT of tries to get it dialed. I think the secret is to just keep trying and...
  20. R

So I tried to wing a prone board.

I'm a rank beginner that doesn't know squat but i do know being overpowered is better than underpowered.