Search results

1. ChaseTMP

Geoff McCoy RIP

I never had one of his boards, but desperately wanted a Lazor Zap when I was just getting into double digits in the early 80's. I picked up a t-shirt from him while in Oz with my family and remember wearing it to the first day of 6th grade feeling too cool for school. RIP Geoff!
  2. ChaseTMP

Random, Kelly paddling out in an Isurus wettie at Margie's.

I thought Kelly's OK suits were made by Buell. He's paddling out in an Isurus branded suit (Opening round, 3rd heat).
  3. ChaseTMP

Varial RIP

A buddy has an Album on order with Varial foam and Infused Glass. We had been discussing the apparent liquidation and ceasing custom orders through their site. My buddy asked Matt Parker what was up and his response from yesterday was (copy pasted): "Ya Varial is done. Such a bummer. They only...
  4. ChaseTMP

XL fins anyone? Gabby content

Watching the contest yesterday in sh^t conditions Winki, it came up that Gabby rides XL Performers in front with a L rear. He always looks like he has so much more drive than his competitors. I know he rides a lot of volume for his size and that helps his apparent zip/skate through sections, but...
  5. ChaseTMP

Chemistry The 23 model

I haven't seen this done yet. Looks kinda of interesting. Jason the shaper rips, so I have some faith it goes as intended. I've never ridden a Chemistry, but I've always liked their branding. Greg's son Parker was on them for a long time locally and always talked highly of them...
  6. ChaseTMP

HPSB 2034

I'm watching the semi's with Ethan and Crosby and their borts look so dialed-in. I was thinking how different would their borts look in 10 years? I wonder if there will be some seismic shift in design or just subtle changes like we've had for the last 43 years.
  7. ChaseTMP

Waxing a tailpad?

I used to put some wax on my tailpad back in the mid-to-late 90's when I was doing some comps, probably because I saw one of the the Momentum crew doing it and thought they must be in the know. I recently saw Kolohe do it in the 1st episode of SITD and it reminded me that I used to do the same...
  8. ChaseTMP

AI Shapes, are they being done yet?

Just watched the most unsettling show I think I’ve ever watched, “Unknown: Killer Robots” on Netflix. After the show ended I spun-out for a while thinking about how many things I love will be impacted by AI. I don’t know if I’ll ever like an AI generated song, painting, building, but the...
  9. ChaseTMP

Mainland Mex All Inclusive With Decent Shortboarding No More Than A 30 Minute Drive

Looking to book a relatively last minute trip for the first two weeks of August before our 16 year old starts her Junior year at Redondo High. Wife prefers all inclusive resorts. We've done the Cabo thing numerous times and Monuments is almost always too fat and Zippers/The Rock mostly feels meh...
  10. ChaseTMP

Anyone try AU Fins?

I've peeked at them a few time online and the copy seemed like a bunch of doublespeak fluff. They sponsored Carlos Muñoz for a quick second. Surprising to me, was Owen Wright in his last CT contest (Rip Curl gave him a wildcard) was running the twins with a Mick Fanning center in his heats at...
  11. ChaseTMP

Eye Symmetry

A local who rips and coaches the Mira Costa surf team has me pretty much convinced I need a Rapture model in my life. It’s hard to think about getting a step-down when the waves have been pumping for over two weeks, but during one of the smaller windows I was pretty amazed how much...
  12. ChaseTMP

Hard Surfboards (Kaimana Henry)

I was stocked to see Balaram win the Pipe Masters on one of his shapes. Anyone ridden any of his designs? I had been wanting to get boards from him and Bret Muramoto, but I haven’t done a winter on the North Shore since 1999 and I barely get my 6’ Ghost wet locally. Kai called me into my best...
  13. ChaseTMP

Goofyfoots, are you right or left handed? Poll

I started thinking about this after hearing a Stab Mag podcast where Nathan Fletcher said he was in the minority as right handed goofyfoot (which I am) and it made him look to different frontside air grabs. I have a pair of boardshorts that Rob Machado designed, which I really like, aside from...
  14. ChaseTMP

Joao Chianca's US Open of Surfing CI bort

I saw a quick interview with Britt Merrick that Joao's board was a Fever where they used a poly blank with a "thin stringer" with Varial's Carbon Infused Glassing. Joao evidently loves the board and they went through several different builds to end up with what he's been riding this event.
  15. ChaseTMP

Powerdrive Twin Fins?

Has anybody tried these? I'm wondering how they would go in my 5'7 Stamps Kai-zen that's a couple of months out.
  16. ChaseTMP

Kauai closest fun waves to Princeville next week, Kealia?

Wife booked The Westin Princeville Ocean Villas for a week starting next Tuesday. Of course I missed/missing the best south swell in a long time which would have been fun at Ammonia’s or outer Poipu. I told her we’re on the wrong side of the island for it being summer, but got the “not every...
  17. ChaseTMP

Vans’ Hanna Scott 5mm booties. Anyone have a pair and can share a review?

I live in Redondo Beach (LA’s South Bay) and haven’t worn booties around here in 20+ years. I received a Vans GC from my wife/14 year old for Xmas and since I spent > $75 (through yesterday), I got a $25 credit towards another > $75 order. Stab’s Mikey C. loved the Hanna Scott round toe 5mm...
  18. ChaseTMP

JJF fin testing

https://stabmag.com/elsewhere/john-florence-searches-for-the-fastest-fin-possible/ Not too much info, but JJF's fins at the end of the video where he's talking to Bob Hurley look a little FCS' H4 indebted.
  19. ChaseTMP

Haydenshapes' Psychedelic Germ 10+ years later

I had a 5'8" 11 or so years ago that I loved, rode it for over a year an a half as my primary board and stupidly sold it to fund a custom Rusty Barking Spider that ended up being a dud. I wondered if a replacement would bring back the stock, and after riding the replacement for the last three...
  20. ChaseTMP

Haydenshapes Black Friday boards

Just a PSA, that if you ordered one, you should be getting a call soon. I just grabbed my 5’8 Psychedelic Germ in FF. Feels great under the arm, but the black rails/bottom show that it’s sand-through city. It’s definitely the lightest Future Flex I’ve owned . This is my sixth one in about 11 years.