Search results

1. T

Mitch McConnell's speech today

I think it is pretty solid and displays good leadership, which was in short supply today. 8 minutes, but worth it edit - this was before the morons stormed the gates
  2. T

I'm sure it'll get dumber, but this is hard to beat (SFBay Stay at Home Order related)

but wait, that's just the SF District 6 Supervisor's take on things, the source material is way better: Keep to your household You can keep doing activities by yourself or people you live with. You can shop for essentials. You can get healthcare and go to the dentist. As of December 10, the...
  3. T

Some tips on getting through the EDD maze (unemployment related)

"California may have paid up to $1 billion in fraudulent unemployment claims filed on behalf of prison and jail inmates in what prosecutors are calling “the most significant fraud on taxpayer funds in California history.” The state paid more than 35,000 claims under state prisoners’ names, with...
  4. T

12-7-1941 "a date which will live in infamy"

Thanks to those that served on that and the following long days ahead, not many of them left now
  5. T

Why hasn't Trump or any Governors addressed this grave threat to our Nation's Health (Super Spreader related)

Seemingly nobody is focused on isolating and eliminating the most obvious super spreader this time of year, WTF?
  6. T

*** Official Rules for Thee, Not for Me Thread ***

a lot of ground to cover on this topic, here is an opener https://www.foxla.com/news/la-county-supervisor-dines-at-restaurant-hours-after-voting-to-ban-outdoor-dining
  7. T

Happy Veteran's Day

Thanks to those that signed up and put everything on the line :jamon:
  8. T

Meanwhile just outside Paris (beheading related)

Apparently fundamentalist Islam has rejoined the fray https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54573356
  9. T

CA Assembly Bill 3121 - Thoughts on reparations?

Emperor Newsom the signed Assembly Bill 3121 into law on Wednesday. The bill opens the door to the state paying reparations to Black Californians, especially those who are descendants of slaves. It specifically calls out insurance companies...
  10. T

Happy BDay PlasticBertrand

Hopefully you are in Baja eating fabulous sushi and scoring NW swell while simultaneously p0wning the cons :cheers:
  11. T

The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved

http://grantland.com/features/looking-back-hunter-s-thompson-classic-story-kentucky-derby/
  12. T

*** The Official Burning Man 2020 Thread ***

The in person event is cancelled but I'm hoping some folks are deep out there going for it anyway like they did in the early days up there If you want some aural stimulation https://bmir.org/ just started broadcasting this morning DIY manburning on Saturday I guess so don't set the country...
  13. T

Minneapolis Part Two

A guy committed suicide on the street (I'm not posting that video), then a rumor started that this was a police shooting and on comes the looting, now the National Guard are called in and there is a curfew...
  14. T

How are the major cities near you addressing the "Defund the Police" movement?

There is a decent breakdown for the Bay Area here: https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Defund-the-police-sf-oakland-berkeley-san-jose-15444031.php tldr: San Francisco - 10% or $600 million of annual budget goes to police, no clear stance on how much money or what parts of police...
  15. T

Big Sur tribe regains land 250 years after being removed

Figured I'd post here as well as in the much more highly selective and even keeled politics forum A nice break from the relentless shitshow that is 2020 "In a deal rich with historic significance, the Esselen Tribe of Monterey County closed escrow to purchase 1,199 acres in Big Sur as part of...
  16. T

Big Sur tribe regains land 250 years after being removed

A nice break from the relentless shitshow that is 2020 "In a deal rich with historic significance, the Esselen Tribe of Monterey County closed escrow to purchase 1,199 acres in Big Sur as part of a $4.5 million acquisition involving the state and an Oregon-based environmental group..."...
  17. T

This should help address the issue of homeless camps on or near California freeways

Yes, I'm guessing Caltrans could have handled their sweeps better and maybe kept the personal items available for pickup (if they didn't in fact do this). But I'm also guessing what comes out of this is Caltrans stops trying to maintain their properties by keeping the homeless out of them...
  18. T

SF Mayor on a progressive movement made up of people who are mostly white and feel that they know what’s in the best interest of Black people

From Vogue of all places, it is pretty interesting and while I'm not current on all of her policies and think she's overstating the city's actions with the homeless, I like some of what she has to say: "Right now, you’re speaking on race and inequality in very direct, powerful terms. And, yet...
  19. T

Harpers Magazine publishes alt right hate speech treatise, falls on wrong side of history

"Our cultural institutions are facing a moment of trial. Powerful protests for racial and social justice are leading to overdue demands for police reform, along with wider calls for greater equality and inclusion across our society, not least in higher education, journalism, philanthropy, and...