Search results

1. D

Hamish Graham Designs

Erbbers, I am in NC and mainly get boards second hand. The big names are the wisest and best options due to availability, consistency and resale. A Hamish Graham quiver has popped up for sale. I have memories from the 1990's of Hamish Graham and Tom Curren for some reason. I think I remember...
  2. D

Maurice Cole Reverse Vee variants

I have a 5'11x20x2.65 beefy EEV shorty from Cole. It has his slightly adjusted hard edge from roughly 6" past the fins to the nose. I had a Mermaid of his with the true hard edge nose to tail and I had some nice moments on it but then I would fail on cut back or foam climb as if I have never...
  3. D

Greg Griffin RIP

Had a MC Mermaid with hard edges nose to tail with a single concave running through. I had some great carves but I also had amazing surprises that made me think I had just learn to surf. My present MC EEV has hard edges but not all the way to the nose. It does not have the trade offs but has the...
  4. D

Can we talk about Channel Islands?

I am one of those MTF fans too. Maybe there is link. both have little exit rocker.
  5. D

Can we talk about Channel Islands?

The Sashimi in 1999 was a great board for me on the East Coast. First West Coast shaper I had. First CI I had. It was good for me at the time, but haven't ridden one in 20 years.
  6. D

Lost 1996 Round Nose Fish?

Thanks for the comparison.
  7. D

US made fins

Thanks. I appreciate the information.
  8. D

US made fins

I am looking to know which fin companies (big and small) make their fins in the US. I am aware that Futures is a US company and at least the boxes are made in the US; Fins Unlimited and True Ames are US-based companies, but I am not sure about where they are manufacturing their products. And if...
  9. D

Fcs vs futures

I have preferred futures due to the solid base of the fin connected to the board. I also preferred that they were American made. I also prefer the MB2 fin in Futures over all other trifin templates. But I mainly buy used boards off of guys who get customs. One guy only gets fcs2 on his customs...
  10. D

Lost 1996 Round Nose Fish?

Please update on the differences in performance vs. fish qualities of 96 RNF vs. Redux. I have a RNF Redux and I like as twin with trailer and thruster. I like the elevated wing of the RNF. Curious on the difference of the wingless and more narrow tail of the 96. Thanks.
  11. D

Hard edge rail full length

had a Mermaid (6'0) with hard edges tip to tail. The curves of the board and its foil was so beautiful. I wanted so much to love the board. Had some of the best turns and trim lines of my middle aged surfing life on it but then I would completely ruin a more basic turn. It was love/hate. It was...
  12. D

mature Dante reviews?

Thanks for the feedback.
  13. D

mature Dante reviews?

I apologize for not wading through the wetsuit thread. It is too bulky and time consuming for me. To the point, have any of you feedback on the Matuse Dante, the hoodless version (3/2 or 4/3) that you could share? Thanks. I have used their Tumo and Hoplite for 10 years (got them cheap and...
  14. D

EC keg ride, Stretch 2x4 and it's comps...

I'd stay with the Stretch single to double and perfect rockers and go for the 2x4. I have had all of the Stretch single to double "buzz" boards and the 2x4 is a natural step up from the super buzz or buzz saw for the conditions you described. I have found Stretch's rockers are perfect for the...
  15. D

Pyzel Ghost?

Thank you, Pyzel.
  16. D

stretch boards support and board pron thread

That might be true - a higher ratio of misses compared to say Stamps - but I have simply not had a missed Stretch board. I have also worked on the same bottom contour platform - Buzz models and 2x4 and F4 before that - and I found they all worked for me. This is just my anecdotes. I also have...
  17. D

Pyzel Ghost?

Pyzel, your Ghost design is a great board for the NC Outer Banks when it is good. I concur with Brett Barley's "feelings" on the board. My comments about what makes your Ghost "feel" the way it is does is to figure out what boards work the way I want them to so that I can make educated choices...
  18. D

Pyzel Ghost?

Best one of his videos and best review of the Ghost. Also my state, so I'm biased. His views on the board are exactly what I think of it. It is a great design for Hatteras and especially the Lighthouse. I wonder what Jon Pyzel would answer for the reason that it "feels" the way it does. I...
  19. D

Black Dark vs. Spine Tec vs Stretch CFT vs. standard EPS

I have been using epoxy builds for the past 10 years for most boards (not my best wave boards and step ups). I have the most experience and preference for Stretch's EPS Tech now called CFT. I have had a great build by Channel Islands which was their stringer EPS with standard glass. I got a...
  20. D

Florida hpsb inquiry

I am 45, 5'10, 190-195 and surf NC.I have a Ghost for our better days in NC. My son is in school in central FL and have surfed N. FL on visits. While I have not surfed N. FL when it is maxing, it seems that it will be quite different than Hatteras and NC Outer Banks. Generally speaking, It seems...