Search results

1. W

Searching for Tom Curren

Going go surf memories at Roosevelt High School, now that brings back memories. I watched some great movies there, including Five Summer Stories and Pacific Vibrations. The classic night there was when Hansen Surfboards presented a surf movie while doing a promotion tour in Hawaii for the then...
  2. W

Hawaii- Done

This particular area has always felt sketchy to me. Used to hit the surf spot "Flies" in the morning before work or classes at UH. This was when the old Tuna Factory at Kewalo Basin was still in operation. The returning aku boats used to dump the trash from their catches prior to entering the...
  3. W

Explanation of Localism

Yes, this is "the guy" who had all the fins liberated from his crew and himself during the night. Nice move by whoever took the fins. I find his rant pretty entertaining, since he makes his living by selling surf goods to the same people he is complaining about. I have met him, but do not really...
  4. W

Hawaii- Done

Years ago, I found out the hard way that a close friend of mine is very allergic to box jelly fish. We were surfing Bowls and he got hit. He started looking pretty bad. This was back in the day when the Kaiser Hospital was located on Ala Moana Boulevard, and we got him out of the water and took...
  5. W

Hawaii- Done

John is a very interesting individual. His lineage is that he is a fifth generation descendant of Kahooilimoku and William Carey Lane.who were married in 1853. Kahooilimoku was the daughter of a family who lived in the Waikiki area. I am confidant to say that John qualifies as a true Waikiki...
  6. W

Andy Lyons For Mayor!

I just love to pull out the old Mike Tyson quote. "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" Perhaps, one of the most truthful statements ever laid down. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I have seen this played out far too many times in my life. My Wife says working the Clubs in...
  7. W

Andy Lyons For Mayor!

Good point, and I agree, that "training in a martial arts gym can give you a false sense of security about street violence". We used to call martial arts students, whose skills could not translate real life situations, "Dojo Ballerinas". These types become quickly disillusioned when they become...
  8. W

Hawaii- Done

Thank you for posting this. I did not know this. The Dr. was a good man and I always enjoyed the interactions I shared with him. RIP.
  9. W

Hawaii- Done

Well, kind of saw no charges coming. If the family wants justice, and I think they should. get a lawyer and file a civil case. Take it out of the hands of the Hawaii criminal justice system and before a jury. Would be interesting to find out what occurred behind the scenes to bring the decision...
  10. W

Hawaii- Done

Not sure if Aikau is on ice or not. I do know that he has completed a rehab program, with the help of some acquaintances of mine. What I am following closely is how he is going to be charged and what charges District Attorney Alm is going to pursue. IMHO, Alm seems to have a tendency, in...
  11. W

Perhaps The Best Ma'alaea Footage Ever...

Just curious, were you on Island when the Mcgregor house was still standing?
  12. W

Lopez

Every one stocked on hard goods with their Covid Relief checks. Plenty of things to ride, and no more Covid checks to spend?
  13. W

Lopez

Please, do not get me wrong. I always liked Gerry. In the early 70's we used to duck out of the Bolt shop and head to Evergreen Bakery on Kapiolani Boulevard for the fresh baked rolls. Personally, I never had a problem with him in the water, never in the water with him much. Have not seen him...
  14. W

Lopez

I never have been in the water with Gerry much. I am a regular foot and tended to (and still do) surfed places less in the spotlight. In the 70's, while going go to UH, I pretty much frequented 3's, 4's (with the right swell direction), and Kaisers. 3's was my to go spot after school and you...
  15. W

Hawaii- Done

Definitely good days. You could have seen why Kahekili Beach is referred to as "Airport Beach". Interesting place to land and/or take off.
  16. W

Hawaii- Done

It is going to be interesting how Penn does in the race. Definitely seems to be an growing undercurrent of support for him. My Son dropped off a Penn for Governor T shirt for me this weekend. Definitely drew positive comments at the beach with the Grand Kids this weekend.
  17. W

Hawaii- Done

The increase of Residents since the 1960's is a bit overwhelming. Figures that I can find show the increases for Oahu and Maui. Oahu 1960 population was 500,409 Oahu 2021 population is 1,000,890 Maui 1960 population was 35,717 Maui 2021 population is 165,386 Agreed that there has been a...
  18. W

Hawaii- Done

I guess it is a personal point of reference. For me the end of Maui's West Side was the building of the Honoapiilani Highway. Prior to that the drive to Honolua Bay from Lahaina was to take Lower Honoapiilani Road. The old road definitely made it more of an effort to drive to the upper West Side.
  19. W

Hawaii- Done

Thank you for referencing this. From the latest information I can find, the Military is the second largest sector of the economy in Hawaii. Figures given were 8.5 of the GDP and $7.7 billion. Less than half of Tourism (21%). The latest I can reference for Agriculture has the industry coming in...
  20. W

Hawaii- Done

I agree that it is impossible to calculate down to the dollar, but how are the coming up with the average spend? Exit polls? I did find some figures for May of 2021. The State figures give a total of 1.1 billion dollars spent by tourists that month. The total tourist count they give is 629,681...