Search results

1. J

DIY kit?

haha, dragging family to wind spots = no bueno. Everyone hates wind, except the wind rider :-) lifelong surfer transitioned to wind ... she's a fickle mistress, it's way worse than trying to fit in a surf around a busy life. It's constant scheming and plotting ... then getting skunked half the...
  2. J

DIY kit?

yep it's doable to DIY. Buddy of mine who has played with RC made up some foil drive equivalents, he bought a 3d printer for part making...under a $1000 for a decent one I think
  3. J

DIY kit?

"Unaware of what year it was, Joe wandered the streets desperate for help. But the English language had deteriorated into a hybrid of hillbilly, valleygirl, inner-city slang and various grunts. Joe was able to understand them, but when he spoke in an ordinary voice he sounded pompous and fa*gy...
  4. J

DIY kit?

As an early adopter, I am far from those early stages ... but will never forget how filling that humble pie was. I don't think there's any shortcut. Other than a few freakishly athletic buddies, everyone I know has done the seemingly endless shame-walks and foil-mares that define this journey...
  5. J

DIY kit?

Another Not gofoil but maybe ideas https://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2404813&sid=e74fcc8ee30bb066f4128f4b4f7a0c6c
  6. J

DIY kit?

Do some more searching in youtube, there's a few others who have posted their methods for removing ... maybe another will work better. For me, this method worked fine, but sounds like you're more stuck. But to avoid splitting: I think you need to have the 2x10 the other way, as wood can split...
  7. J

DIY kit?

Tip on wing removal: I had some really really stuck ones ... but they all always came off eventually. I also DIY'd a number of wings and made the mast connections as you described. Though with a layer of tuck tape underneath the wax (thin plastic tape for house air-sealing). Making a...
  8. J

DIY kit?

Great to hear of your positive steps. Wind sports isn't like surfing, it's not likely you can succeed by doing it your way and just trying harder. Especially in a light wind location: success requires maximizing wind potential and having the right gear. That means following the herd, which...
  9. J

M2M Post race highlights

Ah, the 8m seems key....it was super light wind if he's on that. I find winging downwind very challenging in light wind, as you not only get no power from the wing, you also may have to hold it up. My guess is in 30kt+, a wing wins this, as you could pretty much just stand there going straight...
  10. J

M2M Post race highlights

Results: https://www.webscorer.com/race?raceid=321273 Interesting that the fastest sup riders are faster than wingers. Only a handful of wingers were faster. And curious that a couple were 40mins ahead of the pack.
  11. J

My journey into wingfoiling

Connecting winging to surfing experience: "this is the very reason why you don't want to go too small on your first board". Yep, same deal trying to learn to surf on a 5'10" 27L performance shortboard. Add 1-2 YEARS to your learning curve vs a longboard, fun shape, or sup. "The wind has been...
  12. J

Nice! Soon you'll find it's only worth the bother IF it's the conditions that freaked you out today. And then you'll look back at this post and try to remember what was so challenging? :) "still can't jibe". That can mean a few different things, the term comes with some baggage. At its most...
  13. J

A week in somewhere with solid wind and you're a pro. Add north carolina and south padre island and san fran to the list of windy spots not that far away.
  14. J

My advice: go cheap to start! There's lots of servicable gen1 and gen2 wings out there, more or less being given away. You'll trash your wings learning anyway. But if not, sell them later to the next noob, basically a free rental. Though if you do go new, also seek out deals, there's some...
  15. J

That's some good rebranding right there. As there is no shame in being out there doing it! :shaka: The shame is the closed minded surfer types who can't get their heads around how the wind and foils open up a world of fun beyond groveling with a crowd at the same old same old.
  16. J

DIY kit?

yah! Good haul. Big board with big gen1 wings is by far the easiest way to learn. That M200 is a beast, lifts and stays up in nothing. But super slow. The Iwa is a decent step up, needs more wind, but much more turn-y, but also slow compared to modern gen. You probably won't use the kai. This...
  17. J

DIY kit?

that gofoil set up is a pretty good deal with the board and wings included. The GF are gen 1 but fine for learning. You can upgrade to gen 2 higher aspect for cheap (GL and NL wings) as people are basically giving them away now. Once you get into new masts and new wings it's $$$.
  18. J

DIY kit?

that's good advice on location...a solid week in maui, hatteras, hood river or la ventana, even without lessons, you'd have it down. The learning curve is quite short but it needs some intensive focus to get over the hump. I have a buddy who has been trying to learn for a year...spends so many...
  19. J

DIY kit?

funny how "the simplest and easiest wind sport to learn" gets so complex so fast. I guess it was simpler when we started 3-4 years ago. There was 1 or 2 wings available and you had to build or modify your board DIY. So you figured it out with what you had. And that ended up being a great...
  20. J

DIY kit?

Yep, that's fair warning about big wings for light winds. Many (possibly most) wingers would prefer to quit than ride in situations that require a wing this big. It really does present some difficult logistics that can kinda wreck aspects of what makes it fun....big heavy wing to maneuver...