Search results

1. P

Racquel Welch Done

I found her strangely sexless, despite her obvious charms. One of the points of a being a sex symbol is that there has to be just that slightest hint of availability. Raquel, to her credit, always held herself at a distance.
  2. P

*** Official Hurley Pro Sunset Beach Contest Thread ***

Best part of the contest besides Italo's air drop (think it was Italo, anyway). What did that poor board do to him? That kind of childish crap from a 30 year old man is just silly. I think Kolohe would have been happier if he'd never been a pro surfer.
  3. P

*** Official Billabong Pro Pipeline Contest Thread ***

December always better than Feb, no?
  4. P

*** Official The Eddie Big Wave Invitational Thread ***

That was pretty cool. Every time I think I'm over Slater's trip he surprises me.
  5. P

Pat Curren RIP

He and Tom have this aura of mystique around them that's just irresistible. What exactly WAS he doing between, say, 1965 and now? Did he have a straight job? Was he surfing a lot? Not at all? Who knows. Only Pat probably knows and he isn't talking. (I suspect the truth is fairly mundane but...
  6. P

Order of Operations: Brushing and Flossing

Brush to get the big gunk out, then floss, the quick brush/rinse to get squeaky clean. Then fluoride mouthwash. 2 minutes total.
  7. P

Why are Alex Honnold and Tommy Caldwell so much smarter than Kelly Slater and Shane Dorian?

Ugh, sorry to hear that. You come off a climb with throbbing muscles, bloody and torn hands. And that's in the best case. I like 'em both, but they fill different needs. Climbing scares the sh!t outta me, whereas I surf for fun and relaxation. Granted, you could probably flip the two if you...
  8. P

Why are Alex Honnold and Tommy Caldwell so much smarter than Kelly Slater and Shane Dorian?

The pleasures of climbing are far more cerebral than those of surfing. To climb means repeated failures, often in bad weather, with extreme discomfort if not pain. Whereas surfing -- worst case, you're at the beach hanging out. I've done both, and climbers are to a person much more...
  9. P

Weight loss is harder than rocket science.

The older I get, the easier it is to gain weight, even at the same level of activity. Very odd. Not that I'm overweight -- anything but -- but I notice that I need to eat much less to maintain my usual weight, which is 155-165 lbs (winter vs summer). I don't know how someone who was already...
  10. P

Order of Operations. Morning Coffee

25 years of this for me. I am seriously disturbed by any deviation.
  11. P

Dang, my kid didn’t get into any public CA University with a 4.2 GPA that was applied to.

No, not a scam. You're paying for the brand, just like anything else. It only matters if employers see you as more capable, and sadly many still do. And yeah, the networking is still powerful also. That is why the Ivy League is a goal for so many, especially first/second-gen immigrant kids.
  12. P

Dang, my kid didn’t get into any public CA University with a 4.2 GPA that was applied to.

Grade inflation -- anything over a 4.0 is a "goes to 11." Remove the SAT requirement, double the US population in 2 generations, quadruple the price of a mid-tier private college -- and here we are. There are not enough low-cost public universities, but "taxpayers" don't want to fund them. We...
  13. P

Need a New Desk Chair

I just picked one up from an ex colleague. Free for the taking. Excellent chair, ugly as heck.
  14. P

***** Official 2022 Sunset Beach Pro Thread *****

Makua is certainly better than most. I like Ross ok too. The problem is that they work for the WSL rather than a network, so never is heard a discouraging word. I think I might like Sunset better than all but macking Pipe, as an event to watch. It just exposes weak technique and rewards board...
  15. P

Kelly Slater looking husky/DONE?

She seems like a solid woman. He must be a strange dude to live with, though.
  16. P

*** Official Billabong Pro Pipeline 2022 Thread ***

Chianca charged but wow does he have an ugly style. JJF is the master but I can't help but think that his injury issues have left him at about 80-90 percent of where he was in 2016 or so. That's a real shame.
  17. P

Are we still beating this dead horse? Just enjoy it for what it is and stop comparing them to the men. It's a women's surfing competition. Do you think that the women's 100 meter dash, or the women's Wimbledon final would be better if the women were performing at the same level as the men? Or...
  18. P

Jack may have surfed TOO well in that heat. And how does KS keep finding backdoor waves when no one else does? Love the "condensed heat" video format. I waited till it was done, then spent 30 minutes watching every ridden wave, more or less.
  19. P

RIP Sunny Garcia?

It's similar to the Michael Schumacher injury. His family has released exactly zero usable information on his condition in what, 8 years? It's their right, of course. I personally would love to know how Sunny is getting on but you have to assume that nothing has changed.