Search results

1. One-Off

Why would you get a tattoo?

When I was teaching I did a unit on Polynesia and one of the art projects we worked on was tattoo design. I went into the Polynesian origins and how it initially was associated with sailors. I also gave the students a little warning and showed the kids two videos before we commenced- I know...
  2. One-Off

Florida stand down. Jersey got this one.

Another stupid game I would play, and this one I did as an adult, was to climb up the mast to the first set of spreaders, and jump or dive off to the leeward side. The tricky thing is you can't push off. If you try to push off you just push the mast away from you. That's why you did it on the...
  3. One-Off

Is Home-schooling the Safest Choice?

I think every K-12 teacher will tell you that it is rare that you have a successful student without support from home That gets harder and harder to do when you are on a "pacing plan" and are required to check off bullet points related to the upcoming state standardized testing. See my above...
  4. One-Off

Florida stand down. Jersey got this one.

"Turn on the bilge pump!" "What's a bilge pump?" Well, on one of my first forays to sea in a boat, about 6-7 years old, I found a perch right at the bow. It's kind of instinctive a place to go- the "I'm king of the world" perch. The seas were big that day, rolling long interval swells, and...
  5. One-Off

Is Home-schooling the Safest Choice?

There is an element of education that happens on the playground that home schooling cannot replicate IMHO. At the risk of opening a can of worms- Can someone really be taught to be gay? Isn't that just sort of an innate thing?
  6. One-Off

“Insufficient Privileges to Post Threads Here…”

:eek: The Doctor is in!
  7. One-Off

Sprinter vans

I saw my dream van during my run today. I'm a sucker for black rims.
  8. One-Off

Best tasting bottled water

Best bottled water was when I filled my bottle at the drinking fountain at the Sequoia National Park visitor center drinking fountain. So good. I would fill every bottle we had before going home. Then one year I get there and the drinking fountain was gone. They’d moved it back near the...
  9. One-Off

***The Official Running Thread***

Today I found a new room in my pain cave- Barefoot running. Getting ready to run I realized I’d forgotten my sandals. I didn’t want to skip the run because I had already skipped the 26 mile run this week to surf Malibu (I got skunked, every good wave already had someone on it, every in between...
  10. One-Off

Disposable contact lenses in the water

Been wearing them for decades in LA urban runoff, including days at Malibu with the river running. No problems.
  11. One-Off

Sprinter vans

No one would ever load a van with 2000lbs up high, but in case you do- That said, I was looking at low roofs because the high roof ones just seem so damn tall. You'd definitely break limbs if you fell from the roof loading stuff onto your $3000 rack (the "Sprinter" prefix for accessories is...
  12. One-Off

Sprinter vans

Room for me and my boards… and my wife and my daughter and all our luggage and camping gear.
  13. One-Off

CI Eco Carbon Tech video

I forgot to put the screen shot I referred to in my last post. These were some strength numbers. I have no frame of reference to compare them. They do mention that is is the strength of a single filament. That was what puzzled me. A powder to me does not imply filament. How long are they...
  14. One-Off

Have you ever bought shoes on Amazon

My last two pair of running/hiking shoes. The Trail Gloves I got by mail and luckily they fit great. As a family we kind of swear by Merrell. Have only had good experiences with them. That said I've heard nothing but good things about Altra Lone Peak if you like wide toe box.
  15. One-Off

Sprinter vans

Sprinters are delivery trucks and were never intended to go off road. At most they can wander down a forest service road or access a BLM camping area. A little extra clearance is not a bad thing, nor all terrain tires, but they are not a rock crawler. I have Geolandars on my Vanagon. I don't...
  16. One-Off

Sprinter vans

What's wrong with KO2s? I'd say more than half the pick ups in LA have KOs and about 20% of SUVs too.:shrug::roflmao: This is a fun video (kind of old, neither power plant is currently available, also Transit at least seems to be manual)-
  17. One-Off

Sprinter vans

Yeah sure. Base cost- $1,045,000. :roflmao: https://earthroamer.com/product-builder-2023-sx/
  18. One-Off

Sprinter vans

Maybe the previous owner fuct with the chip? Or your speedo was off? 92 is pretty fast for a commercial van. I have a sticker on my Vanagon's passenger window that says, "Do not open window at speeds in excess of 100 mph." :roflmao:
  19. One-Off

CI Eco Carbon Tech video

I did find some strength numbers, but again they are supplied by the vendor with no info about the test. I'm always curious what what the matrix (eg- resin) being used is? Well, actually I screen shot this bit because this one does say "single filament" strength, which implies independent of...
  20. One-Off

Sprinter vans

"Little" being the operative word. Way too small for our intended use. All those Japanese Vanagon wannabes. From what I've gathered every Ford dealer can work on the Transit as it's the same engine as the F150 (and there's a few of those around). Every town in the USA has a Ford dealer...