Search results

1. SurfDoc

Shin splints

First time exercises and over doing it can cause horrific shin splints. I got them in high school tennis one year after a winter lay off. Excruciating. Ice/heat, ben-gay, lots of massage and lotions and a couple weeks of gentle return to activities should cure the discomfort.
  2. SurfDoc

Hamstring injury that won't go away

Re-injury of the hamstrings is common. Rest, daily stretching (but don't be nuts and try to over do it, just stretch to the vague sensation of tightness and leave it at that, don't push it!), gentle massage, alternate ice/heat when it flares up and hope for the best. It can take several months...
  3. SurfDoc

Ankle Brace for High Ankle Sprain

Try the brace. If you have too many symptoms then consider surgery.
  4. SurfDoc

Inguinal hernia surgery.

Hernias, well they're a pain. Think weak tissues and tears that allow abdominal contents to push through the opening. Mesh is often advisable over simply suturing the weak areas closed for extra support. Any surgery generally means trimming of tissues, fulguration (burning) of tissues to limit...
  5. SurfDoc

Knee arthritis

Recurring joint fluid is a sign of chronic inflammation in the knee joint. As it is a weigh bearing joint and subject to a lot of motion healing can take months or years. A good result following drainage and a steroid injection can be a good sign but the risk of recurrence is high. Excercise and...
  6. SurfDoc

AORTIC DISSECTION

The sad truth to this push for performance and mass is the massive amount of misinformation, hype, marketing, and narcissism that wreaks havoc with logic, sanity, and health. A good buddy of mine died listening and believing every "health guru" who came along and tried literally dozens of...
  7. SurfDoc

Heart Health

In reality it is a complex issue/equation. Regular exercise + low animal fat diet (meat, eggs, cheese, even fish, milk, ice cream, cream cheese, should be reduced significantly) + more fiber will help. If you already have plaque then statins are a must with rare exceptions. Yes, there is a tiny...
  8. SurfDoc

Heart Health

YIKES!
  9. SurfDoc

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

More likely a pinched nerve in your cervical spine. Might be time for an MRI of your neck.
  10. SurfDoc

trigger finger

Massage those tendons and hope the injections help, otherwise you might need tendon release surgery.
  11. SurfDoc

Can we talk about calisthenics?

Cautious weight training in the elderly is fine. Personally, I think it’s better to concentrate on cardiovascular and supplement it with lighter weights and higher reps.
  12. SurfDoc

Shingles

As for shingles of the face that can be brutal. Calamine is worth a try. A mild topical anesthetic cream could too. Plenty of rest and a healthy diet. Good luck.
  13. SurfDoc

Shingles

That looks fungal.
  14. SurfDoc

Elbow Tendinitis

More rest, simple range of motion flexibility maneuvers.
  15. SurfDoc

subacromial shoulder bursitis?

Hard to diagnose or guess based on what I read here, but in my world I’d examine carefully and at this point consider the steroid injection. Voltaren gel is also a consideration.
  16. SurfDoc

Eversion Ankle Sprain

Eversion injuries of the ankle are a lot of force. Either you damage some of the medial ligaments or you have compression injuries to bone laterally. Having that much pain suggests an exam might be wise.
  17. SurfDoc

Eversion Ankle Sprain

Interesting I worked HSS IT department today!
  18. SurfDoc

2nd time torn labia

Labia or labrum?
  19. SurfDoc

Dead arm syndrome

Sounds like you freaked out your deltoid? All better by now I hope.
  20. SurfDoc

Collapsed lung

Tall skinny folks can have some propensity for pneumothorax. Trauma is one cause, but even a small air containing space in the lung surface can leak. traumatic pneumothorax. This occurs when an injury to the chest (as from a car wreck or gun or knife wound) causes the lung to collapse. tension...