Search results

1. jory

***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

I hesitate to encourage people to buy fire wire but honestly the cj nelson thunderbolt outlier is a hell of a lot of fun. The 7’6 and 8’ are basically a vaquero with a less aggressively hully bottom shape. You still get that hully feel and trim speed but it feels much more like a regular single...
  2. jory

CI Mid Ride Report…

The thing is, Mid length is a convenient on trend hashtag marketing term but it actually covers far too many variations of boards to be accurate. Anything that's 6'8 - 8'11 gets lumped in there when in reality theres a huge amount of things you can shape a board to do in that range. The CI Mid...
  3. jory

***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

Wise words…… https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/podcast-surf-mastery/id1088660076?i=1000554669848
  4. jory

CI Mid Ride Report…

Wise words….. https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/podcast-surf-mastery/id1088660076?i=1000554669848
  5. jory

CI Mid Ride Report…

The vaquero is a hull designed to harness speed in a lined up wave and go in a straight trim line. It will do that on a small or large face. The ci mid is designed to draw smooth lines on a decent sized face. you should try it on a head High day as thats What it is designed for. You might “get”...
  6. jory

CI Mid Ride Report…

To be fair I don’t think you’re the only one. It’s not big enough to have much natural trim in tiny waves but it’s too big to fit on a tiny wave face and pump around for speed like your 5’6 Take it out somewhere with a nice lined up head high face and enjoy the long swoopy lines and effortless...
  7. jory

CI Mid Ride Report…

And you are surprised why? It’s not a groveller, it’s not marketed as such. In fact if you listen to anything Devon Howard says about it, he says eggs are for shoulder high plus and you should ride a longboard or a mini - simmons or fish or similar below that. The CI mid itself is a...
  8. jory

All you guitar

I think vox are generally loud for their labelled wattage. I’ve got an ac4tv that’s loud enOugh for band practice! 30-50w is plenty, personally think single channel is fine but master volume is essential
  9. jory

All you guitar

Actually, you’re right, there’s something special about playing loud through a nicely overdriven tube amp. There’s a warmth and a dynamic reactive feel to your playing that is aweSome. I also think a good amp flatters a bad guitar more than the other way around. There are a lot of small tube...
  10. jory

All you guitar

Depending on your neighbours / family attitude, a 1w tube amp is plenty loud. FWIW I play 90% of the time at home through a Vox amplug through headphones to keep the rest of the family happy. When they are out I plug in to a nice tube amp....... The AC10 is a good call, it’s got good “top...
  11. jory

*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Just back from a Totally splendid week in Tignes, France. So good to be back in France and on snow after a Covid induced two year break. Mostly sunny, couple of days of pow turns, great food & wine & one very stoked daughter. I love the alps!
  12. jory

Cold hands/nj surfing

to be fair they look less weird when you’re wearing them but yes, they will keep you hands clean in all manner of dirty jobs!
  13. jory

Cold hands/nj surfing

It’s similarly cold in winter here. I’ve used these for the last 15 years. You can wear thick fleece gloves underneath and they don’t get water inside so they are light paddle in. Much better than any neoprene gloves I’ve tried and last for years...
  14. jory

Mini Simmons vs/or Plasmic?

FWIW I’ve ridden an ocean racer. It’s pretty performance as mini simmons go............... But it is still a mini simmons................. Personally I think learning to log is fun and opens up a lot of marginal days
  15. jory

Mini Simmons vs/or Plasmic?

Mandala superchunk is a good option. Round nose Belly up front but spiral vee and a quad. Good lateral speed like a simmons in junk but turns more like a quad fish.
  16. jory

Wavegarden Bristol

it says no pics due to staff illness for the 2nd Jan now. They normally have them up within an hour or so. there should be pics from your first trip in the December section though here: https://imagecabin.thewave.com/f502136324
  17. jory

Wavegarden Bristol

https://imagecabin.thewave.com/f818395120
  18. jory

Wavegarden Bristol

Stoked you enjoyed it! advanced plus is definitely an improvement on the regular advanced, it’s got more push for sure. always tempted to try the intermediate wave on a log - could be fun. there will be pics of your session here: https://imagecabin.thewave.com/f502136324
  19. jory

Wavegarden Bristol

I’ve been about 5 times since it opened, always on the right. Some thoughts. I’ve had a lot of fun, it’s well organised, good mellow vibe and you get more waves in ab hour than you would at my local beach. There’s a certain amount of performance anxiety associated with it to start with. It’s...
  20. jory

needessentials - anyone familiar?

Had a 3/2 Kinda cheap and cheerful, not especially warm and the seams didn’t last well. Might work for so cal, not sure I’d bother again for here.