Search results

1. J

Learning the basics?

I started early on curve for all the foil sports. There was no used gear and new too expensive, so we improvised. First sup foil was a concerted 9.t sup! First surf foil a diy beast must have been 60L. First wing foil a converted 7.6 door sup. But in retrospect it was quite a bit easier to...
  2. J

Post your Foil Pics HERE

Agreed. Our local crew is fantasizing about tow-in's, watching the insanely rad videos from around the world. Problem is, we just don't have the set ups that they do ... outside reefs with passing waves that barely break, leading to a long inside section for pumping magic. Unsurfable waves...
  3. J

Post your Foil Pics HERE

Following up Hdip post in Learning thread "last week at Fort point a ski boat towed a foiler into a wave on a glassy day. The guy ended up falling at the end and the board washed in. Surfer came in and drug the board up on the sand. Grabbed big rocks and proceeded to "stone" the foil board."...
  4. J

Foil Froth Fever

Bad luck continues....yesterday I got run over by a chick on a longboard, went right over me in white water. I was wearing a helmet, but didn't hit head. The fin stopped on my thigh, cut a 4" gash in wetsuit. Luckily no cut on leg. Hurt like crazy, but able to walk it off, kept surfing for...
  5. J

Learning the basics?

SF...yup...,.the kite the bay guys look good to get connected with! I am sure it won't be cheap, but you will get ahead of this. Being already competent prone surfing, you just ideally need some orientation with what a foil feels like. 1 or 2 boat sessions, then you can be up and riding...
  6. J

Learning the basics?

are you seeking surf (prone) foil or sup foil? Assuming surf/prone, how much surfing experience do you have? I think being a competent surfer, able to popup on a shortboard is pretty much crucial -- without that, my advice would be learn to surf first. Same with SUP, though overall I think...
  7. J

Post your Foil Pics HERE

Super old! Maybe a 2 or 3? Newer ones probably have corrections and all sorts of gizmos -- wave size enhancing filter? It would be fun to have one of the max or insta360 type cameras, I like how they erase the selfie stick. But to be honest, mostly gave up on the self filming, it's inevitably...
  8. J

Post your Foil Pics HERE

This is embarrassingly lame compared to what you guys post, but what the heck. I got a surprise session at a spot minutes from my house. It doesn't break very often. Can be pretty ultimate for foiling, with weak waves that can break a long time on the right day. This was not that day, but it...
  9. J

Foil Froth Fever

I have gath with visor too, I find at times the visor comes in handy -- though more often for vicious hail storms than sunshine where I live. Only half joking. Though I find it does kind of distort visuals while riding, sunglasses work better. I wear the gath sup and wing foil but find it is...
  10. J

Foil Froth Fever

I have had some time to think this week, as I have my first significant foil surf injury. First ride on my fancy new KD stab ... got a little cocky on a late drop, went over the falls, got the tomahawk chop just above my ear. Yes the stab is sharp right out of the box ... 8 stitches (through my...
  11. J

Foilfeed

that's pretty epic. I am chasing the pump monkey game pretty hard, but I fear I am not going to get to this level. So, short of that, I would be all over attempting that on my 3m wing! The issue though is getting past the white water. Need either lulls or a beach feature that allows getting...
  12. J

Learning to wing foil in light wind

Funny to see how worlds collide in wing foiling, a mix of surfers, sup'rs, kiters, windsurfers, etc. Each with a little different view on things and different goals. Something kiters say is "I have to learn to ride toeside" ... because they immediately learned to go back and forth with...
  13. J

Learning switch...just do it. Fair number of kite foilers (me included) never bothered to learn switch, as you can just ride toeside back out. You lose 25% upwind capability maybe, but it works. However, it gets hard on your body to be twisted around and riding switch gives your muscles and...
  14. J

Foil Froth Fever

Long time no post! Season transition up here in PNW. Generally little to no surf in Juan de Fuca strait for May-Oct. Definitely no foil waves. But dependable daily thermal winds, so wing foiling has been the go for a few months. It fades in August/Sept, we have a little doldrum period of...
  15. J

Hey wow, I must have blinked and missed a month or two...Hdip is back onto the wind chasing! Right on ... once you've got it down, will change your life to be STOKED when it gets blown-out cstreet: my path has been kiting ... sup foil ... surf foil ... wing. The magic for winging is as a tool...
  16. J

Cheap Aliexpress Foil Review

Thats helpful, thanks for posting. The amazon link is unavailable, but pretty sure this is same one on Ali: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001888309048.html I am not averse to the cheap china gear, but the quality is so variable, that my rule is "never without a first hand review". I...
  17. J

Post your Foil Pics HERE

A few random shots from very rare "summer" swell here last weekend. Pretty stoked to surf foil again, forgot how much I love it, after a lot of winging lately. Looks so cold and grey compared to your pics above LOL
  18. J

Surfing with Wing Foil

Enough wing for your wind is key! Underpowered SUCKS. Smaller boards...bigger sup foils are so easy and fun. Small boards add performance, but at the cost of reduced ease of use. My 5' diy is approx 75L (I am about 75kg), it is doable to knee start but just barely, needs a lot of wind...
  19. J

Learning to Wing

Meh...if you're already proficient foiling, and have a big board, the learning curve shouldn't be too steep. Lessons can't hurt, nice to have someone expert to give you pointers ... but I think I you can get by without. I gave a land orientation to a buddy the other day and I was surprised...
  20. J

Learning to Wing

IMHO you don't want a board that big. It'll be helpful for a few sessions for very basics then it'll be a pig. I have mixed feelings about hybrids generally ... in aiming to be useful for multiple applications, the design tradeoffs likely mean it's not optimal for any of them. I am building...