Search results

1. Icu812

Official Bird & Nature Post

Wow! I was foraging around the other day and found a cluster of these--red-capped butter bolete--this was the biggest one, 4.25#! Ate some fresh and dried the rest by the woodstove for later use. Very tasty 'shroom!
  2. Icu812

Santa Cruz - livin' the dream!

Exceptionally flat yesterday--you could water ski here...too bad abalone season ain't happening anymore...dungeness are though...
  3. Icu812

Really dead, really stinky whale on the beach yesterday...and the ocean behind me sooo flat, barely lapping at the shore.
  4. Icu812

Crude Humor (NSR)

Once again this year, I’ve had requests for my Vodka Christmas Cake recipe so here goes. Please keep in your files as I am beginning to get tired of typing this up every year! (I've just made mine!!!!) 1 cup sugar half pound butter 1 tsp. baking powder 1 cup water 1 tsp. salt 1 cup brown sugar...
  5. Icu812

Isn't that just a perfect looking little Porcini mushroom? Tasted good too! Our earlier 'atmospheric river' followed by warm weather is turning out to bring on a fantastic mushroom season--lots of boletes, just found my first chanterelle, hopefully more of those plus hedgehogs coming. Oh boy!
  6. Icu812

How hot...???...

WOW! That's intense! Being a firefighter myself I can't imagine having to deal with that..oh, and BIG powerlines right next to it. Oh, and toxic fumes too...
  7. Icu812

*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

Wow, Afghani pressure cookers? Who knew? But I do like my Jetboil for car camping plus we keep one in the big fire truck with some cup o' noodles etc. and coffee for those overnight fires.
  8. Icu812

MLB 2021

Yeah I just turned the volume down thus missing the chop, the Joe Buck (worst announcer ever), and the oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh thing...
  9. Icu812

MLB 2021

I was rootin' for Dusty...cool dude...a buddy of mine grew up with Dusty in Riverside and he'd get us tickets to go to games at Candlestick...then we'd meet Dusty after the game in a nearby parking lot and everybody would give Dusty a 'gift' from Humboldt...my son was around 8 or 9 at the time...
  10. Icu812

Anna's Hummingbirds are still thick around here--crappy picture taken with cell phone through window.
  11. Icu812

Dead and company

Living in Northern Cal I missed all of that but have always been a huge fan. Only saw Boingo once down in San Jose at Great America, they played in the Redwood Amphitheater. Gave up 14'@14sec swell that day too...just to keep it surf related...
  12. Icu812

Dead and company

My buddy was going to all the Dead shows down there and if it was me I would've at least gone to one of Elfman's Nightmare Before Christmas shows at the Banc of California Stadium...that looked pretty good. And the last song he brings Bartek out there for Dead Man's Party...
  13. Icu812

Different strains....

Exactly this...all that other stuff is just so complicated...my son-in-law works for Pax, the company that makes the little portable vaporizer...works fine..I think? But only holds a little bit of weed...at one time I even had one of these...geez, so complicated...put ice in the neck, put the...
  14. Icu812

Different strains....

I suggest learning how to roll with Club no-glue papers. They're tricky without the glue but they are super clean papers and they allow you to really taste the 'strain'. Trick is you have to tear the edge before you 'wet it and stick it' so to speak..
  15. Icu812

Different strains....

Mr. Doof hit all the right points...there are just so many variables within strains, where it's grown, etc. etc. Cracks me up that there are so many OG cultivars...and now 'Cookie' ones too. I remember back in the '70s when my friends got some seeds from the Hindu Kush Mountains in...
  16. Icu812

What was your worst surfing injury?

I don't know all the finer details of this but the guy is still a major charger up here and the sad irony is that the guy who saved him got pancreatic cancer and died a few years ago. Miss him tremendously.
  17. Icu812

What was your worst surfing injury?

I've had to get stitches a couple times--first time surfing excellent waves up here in northern cal, buddy and I are both scratching for a set, he bails right in front of me, entangled in the white water, board hits me in the back of the head, got a big opening. Cold water kind of cauterized it...
  18. Icu812

A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

I smoke salmon in a Weber...works pretty good 'cause you can shut the Weber down pretty tight. I'll go grab some fresh Alder branches and cut 'em into small chunks, soak them for a minute in a bucket of water while I get some coals going. Then just put the salmon on an aluminum boat, skin side...
  19. Icu812

A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

Got on a day trip outta Shelter Cove today--beautiful day, little swell running, surf was happening too...thought it was gonna be pretty much bottom fish all day. Well, limited on bottom fish pretty quickly so thought we might as well try some mooching for salmon since we still had time left...
  20. Icu812

Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

Raspberry Parfait gone polyploidy...