Search results

1. daave

YOLO ALERTS

Have you ridden the Patterson yet? I only keep asking because I wanted to YOLO that one :) it disappeared from my cart and (not surprisingly) ended up on this thread. Ended up getting the 6'1" IF15 that they posted shortly after. Same dims. Don't know whether i'd prefer a 6'0" or 6'1" but the...
  2. daave

Futures F6 Thermo/FCS II DHD Glass Fins

Two fin sets for sale. I’m in LB NY, if you want them shipped, add $5 F6 never used (these:https://futuresfins.com/products/thermotech-f6) $25 FCS II DHD Glass Fins Size L Ridden less than 5 times. These are big fins… construction is really nice. Look like new. Wish I had more use for them. $80
  3. daave

The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

For cheap suits, I'm still pretty happy with Vissla. They're stretchy and comfortable and don't leak like other similar suits I've had (xcel, needs, billabong). Was happy with my 7mm boots from last year so I also got some mittens and a pair of the slightly higher end 5mm boots. I still think...
  4. daave

Wetsuit: attached hood, yay or nay?

Just get a 5mil. Unless you like 5-6 month breaks each year. If you're using a hooded 4/3 its going to be cold out anyway. No reason to limit yourself. With the right equipment it really doesn't feel that much colder.
  5. daave

IME Billabong has really small hoods compared to other brands. Good design but it’s tight if you have a big head.
  6. daave

I think the ear growth still happens with plugs. I am not a Dr. and don't have any real research. But I think the plugs stop infections and water issues - the hood helps with the cold water/bony growth.
  7. daave

There are a couple decent detached hoods (O’Neill and Xcel) but they’re still not as good or as comfy as the real deal. You also can’t really pull them down the same way.
  8. daave

YOLO ALERTS

@kool-aid Have you ridden the Patterson yet?
  9. daave

Double Dank

https://www.ridershack.com/surfboards/used-surfboards/used-511-ci-og-flyer-surfboard-31594.html Bonus - looks like the same dude might be selling its big brother with matching pad.
  10. daave

I've always assumed the seams were a little more solid with the same thickness of rubber coming together.
  11. daave

Close enough. Visslas maybe a touch roomier. They both fit my wide feet. Narrower ones, like O’Neills, do not work at all for me. Also, Fwiw, my xcels felt a little tighter than in years past.
  12. daave

Bought a pair of Vissla 7mm boots midway through the winter. Love them. Feet were getting cold in my Xcel drylocks (new ones too - pretty disappointing after using them for 15 years). The Visslas are really comfortable, no velcro bs. Good amount of support from the rubber pieces (no flopping...
  13. daave

Daniel Jones Twin

Which shop? Not poaching - would just like to check one out.
  14. daave

Varial foam Article/Ride Reports?

Damn that’s a bummer Aruka. Sorry to hear that. They grab anything else?
  15. daave

Under sink water filter?

My city has terrible water and getting a little sick of dealing with the 5 gallon jugs. Any recommendations?
  16. daave

Brian Bulkley Surfboards

It is 6'4" x 19.8" x 2.5". 34L. He called it a retro step up or something. Rails aren't retro at all but it has a slight beak nose and a flatter deck up front. Tail is pretty pulled and very foiled. Front half of board feels a lot thicker than 2.5 and back half a lot thinner...but it's really...
  17. daave

Brian Bulkley Surfboards

18. daave

Done with Xcel. Need a new warm hooded 5/4

You do have to be somewhat careful with the smoothy. I can change in my shower after most of my winter sessions at home. I'm sure that makes a difference. I'll also say the neck gasket stuff is a little more bulky than some suits. But it kind of goes well with a full smoothy/fully lined suit -...
  19. daave

Don’t have too many great shots of the suit but here they are. Mine sounds completely different from Aruka’s. It had slimmed/tapered cuff things that worked really well. Lasted a solid 3 seasons for me as well. Front zip entry. All of these things are customizable - from cuffs, entry, liners...
  20. daave

Cyber makes hooded 5/4s. Hood is attached. Had one from 2015-18. It was by far the warmest 5 mil I’ve ever had. I’ll try to dig up some photos if anyone is interested.