Search results

1. J

Album Surfboards

How's the lightbender? I considered it as opposed to the Twinsman, but worried it was too close to the Plasmic. I was trying to keep the board length as short as possible. Me at close to to 5' 8.5", with short legs and more torso, have probably made the Plasmic different than most by surfing it...
  2. J

Album Surfboards

I don't know if one exists. I brought it up to Matt in trying to figure out the next board that I liked the look of the blunt nose Plasmic that I saw on IG and hence the blunt-nose Twinmans was suggested -haha!
  3. J

Album Surfboards

I am 5' 9", 180lbs, 49 years old. Dimensions are stock. I didn't change the dimensions for my second one, because of how well it worked. In time I may adjust but not at the moment. When I got it I actually waited to surf it until the waves lowered to about waist high and it was a blast. As the...
  4. J

Album Surfboards

I recently got a 5' 6" Plasmic with NVS uprights. First twin for me and I absolutely love the feel. It has become my DD and surfing it in waves that I shouldn't. The board is fun and has flow. It can do a lot, but I love how it gets up to speed but without being too much. There is this unique...
  5. J

JS warehouse Oceanside retaliation

Not trying to provoke anything, but confused by this response... I am confused by the restaurant analogy, I like local restaurants, and nearly 100% of the time when I go to the local restaurant, I see the menu, and know what I paying for without any entrance fee. Only once you know the place...
  6. J

JS warehouse Oceanside retaliation

I was not going to get involved but here goes... I am a relative newbie (one of the guys that many of you despise at the moment, but I am surfing my own breaks away from people). I am having a blast and loving it, and figuring out what boards allow me to do what. I learned that most boards are...
  7. J

CI Mid

For performance, the SS&B has more. The Huntsman still performs very well, just different. You have a bit more control with the SS&B, whereas with the Huntsman if you try to make it do things its not meant to do, it ejects you :)! You can get away that more with the SS&B. The SS&B is faster...
  8. J

CI Mid

Thank you! I bought a 6' 8" SS&B earlier this summer, and it is a solid board but didn't really appreciate it until recently. Over the summer/early fall I focused most of my attention on figuring out my shortboard - board, size, length, volume, fin set-up, etc. During the summer and early fall...
  9. J

CI Mid

kool-aid - thanks for the review, good stuff! Out of curiosity how does it compare to the SS&B? I believe you have the same length in both. cheers!
  10. J

XTR

What are folks thoughts on the Plasmic - that one piques my interest? How would define it besides fun - haha!
  11. J

Tomo MPH

A short follow-up....well after trying to buy a number of used Cymatics from SoCal on Craigslist with no one was willing to ship up the road to central Cali. And online stock being non-existent and told 3-4 months wait, I bought the only Cymatic in my 2hr driving radius - Its a 5' 10". Got...
  12. J

Volume Forward Performance Boards

That's awesome - great to hear! Do you think the lower volume board helps at all with this position? Curious if you tried a few different boards.
  13. J

100% agree - can't paddle the wave speed! I know waves, but relatively new to surfing. I don't understand volume benefits because we can reach the wave speed! Yes paddling out, etc is easier with volume, but wave catching based on my understanding is independent of volume. Yet many people say...
  14. J

There are a lot, a lot of studies that show "depth-limited" breaking. We use this from video to infer the water depth. We also use this to map the bottom for satellite images. The wave period is related to the phase speed as well as the depth, that why the instability occurs at the...
  15. J

There are a lot of incorrect statements in this video. His estimate of wave speed is wrong, though I agree it is still fast. It is not based on the height it is based on the water depth. Phase wave speed = sqrt (gravity * depth in meters) for the shallow approximation. If you assume gravity...
  16. J

This is from their summary - still lots of fun questions to discuss " These data indicate that changes in surfboard foil have little effect on the mechanics and efficiency of paddling. Further, recreational surfers demonstrated the ability to fine-tune their prone position to achieve a...
  17. J

Fore-aft distribution of volume in a short surfboard does not affect ...
  18. J

See SurfSimply
  19. J

Tomo MPH

Thanks again everyone! The honest feedback has been very helpful and it definitely made me think about this more throughly. I sort had an obvious (doh - right in front of your face) thought, I should just go down in dimensions with the hydroshort. I like the board, it has been suggested as a...
  20. J

Tomo MPH

My local jumps... Nice, and on the Evil Undead! One of my all time favorite bikes was the Uprising - couldn't believe what that bike could handle. I have ridden with a few time with Kevin Walsh (Evil Bikes owner) in Bellingham - Chuckanut! What would you recommend for the next board? A few...