Search results

1. ehiunno

Epoxy over PU (Epoly, Etech, etc)

I appreciate everyone's input here, thanks. Perhaps to keep this from turning into a thread specifically about R. quality, I'll ask another question. If epoxy/PU doesn't come with any significant disadvantages, why have shapers tended to put epoxy over EPS blanks? Why use EPS at all?
  2. ehiunno

lol I take it you're not a fan of R., duly noted. I guess that's what I'm looking for - feel like PU but more durability. It's not really a question of access it's more like if you're spending $700 on a board what's another $50 for something that's going to last a lot longer?
  3. ehiunno

What are people's experiences with epoxy resin over a PU blank? I've seen this construction mentioned in passing but it doesn't seem all that popular. R. is pushing it pretty heavily calling it Epoly, I've seen someone else post some boards from Earth Technologies that are epoxy over PU. I...
  4. ehiunno

SoCal winter thunderdome: Blackbird vs. Ghost

Well sh!t, sorry for steering you wrong! I guess it's possible you got a bad can. Maybe give regular-old contact cement a try?
  5. ehiunno

Step-up recommendations

I'm in NY and I just ordered a 6' 4" x 18.9 x 2.55 (~32.8L) R. Blackbird to sit above my 5'11 ghost. We've just had too many swells this season where the ghost would have been fine if the conditions were a little better, or I wasn't so tired from surfing for 3 hours yesterday, or etc etc. I want...
  6. ehiunno

Yeah I'd do one coat on the pad to seal the bottom, let it dry for like 5 minutes. Then one coat on both the pad and the board, wait until both are tacky and stick it down. How long to wait depends on the humidity etc, 30 sec to 5 minutes or so, keep an eye on it. I thought I recalled it saying...
  7. ehiunno

Yeah definitely give it the two minutes or whatever the can says before you try to stick it down. And definitely spray both surfaces. You might need two coats, especially on the pad since it's a bit porous. Did you try to stick it down anyways? Even if it doesn't feel crazy tacky to the hand it...
  8. ehiunno

Bezt 3mm Booties

I have been using Solite's for a few years now and I'm a big fan. I don't have enough experience with other brands to say they are definitely better but I do like them a lot. My 3mm pair is 3? years old now and still going strong, but I've switched to a new pair of their 7/8mm ones for the...
  9. ehiunno

Help! What do I do?

I'm late to reply but for me it's step 3 that's the problem. If you + your hands are super cold getting your shirt and jacket oriented and on is a huge pita. The robe you just toss on and then everything slows down and you can stay warm taking your wetsuit off without stomping it into the...
  10. ehiunno

Help! What do I do?

Then you're naked :ROFLMAO: But if RF is into towels does that mean everyone else is going to join team poncho?? :unsure:
  11. ehiunno

Help! What do I do?

It covers more of your body (hoodie to knee). Plus it's just less fiddly overall, you don't have to worry about it coming untied while you're rushing, etc.
  12. ehiunno

Astrodeck

$60 for a pad?? This is getting out of hand I do like that the board sock is $69.69 tho
  13. ehiunno

Help! What do I do?

Real talk I use this collapsible water bladder I got on Amazon for $8. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0855HBHMB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_CQl7Fb3F1F4XJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 I fill it with hot water from the sink and wrap it in a towel. Unless I'm out for 4+ hours it's still hot when I get back to...
  14. ehiunno

Rusty's talk to your shaper Live Instagram series

How are those sized relative to your usual shortboards? I've been toying with the idea of ordering an R.BB. I probably won't since it would be spring before I would actually get it, but it's fun to think about.
  15. ehiunno

Rusty's talk to your shaper Live Instagram series

My take is that no one knows what an intermediate is anymore I used to think it was someone who could do basic cutbacks and re-entries on a smallish board. Now I guess it's someone transitioning off an 8' soft-top? Ugh
  16. ehiunno

XTR

For the curious, I measured the rails on my OTR 5'11" Ghost (2.5" thick) and my custom XTR 5'9.5" Shadow (2.375" thick). I kind of expected them to have a similar rail profile since the shadow has a less knifey rail but is 1/8" thinner. The rail profile looks very similar between the two. I'm...
  17. ehiunno

XTR

@Muscles Did you get in touch with XTR? I know you bought the board a while ago and it sat waiting for proper waves, but I'm curious what they would say. It's likely that the foam is hard to shape, but that isn't going to cause a board to come out half an inch thicker than it's supposed to...
  18. ehiunno

XTR

3 7/16?? Glass should add about 1/16" How does that even happen? Clearly XTR didn't add almost half an inch of glass. How do you possibly cut a board to be 3" and end up with one that's 3.5" before glassing? Someone must have cut the wrong file - is that on XTR or Pyzel? Did the finishing...
  19. ehiunno

Hit it with a heat gun or hair dryer (carefully), slowly scrape it up with a razor blade while applying heat. If you do it right you can get the old pad off without tearing and you can reapply it with Super 77 or contact cement
  20. ehiunno

AM 1 fins for Ghost

AM1 in Futures are medium and large in FCS. So stupid. I run the Futures AM1 in my 5'11" ghost, as do many others. They work great.