Ideal age to perish from this earth.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Read Lionel Shriver 'Should We Stay or Should We Go' for a funny/scary/depressing treatment of that question.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Everybody's different. My parents and my inlaws are all in their early 80s. The difference in the quality of life between my parents and my inlaws couldn't be more different. My parents are both healthy and very active. On my wife's side her mother has many health issues along with dementia and her father's life has become a pretty miserable routine of visiting the nursing home and dealing with insurance companies, dr's offices and nursing home bills while not taking care of himself.

I think the difference comes from keeping active. You could never nail my parents down. Always on the go and busy. At 80 they lived like they were 50. My inaws on the other hand at 50 lived like they were 80. Stay young, don't buy rocking chairs.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
75. Or maybe 78 if you're really thriving at 75. Nobody thrives at 80. That looks grim.
Despite living very healthy & active lives for 76 years and having a genetic history free from ailments, my Mom just died from a 6 month battle with pancreatic cancer and my Dad has been diagnosed with parkinsons. It seems like at 75 the odds of health problems and no longer being able to live and feel like you used to shoot up. I hope I get to feel youthful right up to my last day, even if it means missing out on decades of watching world events unfold on TV.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
if I follow my fathers parents track - I’ll be making the great grand kids sloppy joes at 95.

if I follow my mothers - doing well into 80s would be a nice feat.

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I see people in their mid fifties that should just call it in.

I see street urchins in their twenties that will never produce anything of value so they might as well go take a swim with a pocket full rocks.

Others are pushing 90 and getting sh!t done.

For me it’s no more than 10 years after my wife dies. If she goes first I’m selling the house then running off the rails until the wheels fall off.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
When I become a burden on anyone, that is when I hope I check out. My mom is 78 going on 88. Needs a cane. Rotates from the recliner to her rocker on the deck when the weather is nice to her bed. Waiting around to die. Her sister is 88 and just stopped her globe trotting ways due to cancer. My dad was 83 but his last 4 years were awful.

At 54, it makes me sad and depressed how little life I have left. I try not to think about it too much because I am really only working part time and have a hot young GF, still surfing, drinking amazing wine and loving my life.

Reactions: Eimeo

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
As long as you can. I'm hoping for 120 years of good mobility, then we'll see what our new AI rulers do with me.

My mother is 82 and all of a sudden everything is going to hell. She had surgery this week for a growth in her lung. Waiting for the biopsy results. She also has early stage Alzheimers. She worked out and ate well. Worked for the FBI until she was 75.

My dad, on the other hand, drank a lot, has never really exercised much, and is also 82. Now taking care of my mom. He'll probably live to 85 without issue and then die peacefully in his sleep. He does take a lot of naps. Maybe that's the secret.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I’ll be 79 in a few months. My wife takes a hickory stick to my ass if I’m not up, walking 2-3 miles every morning. The only thing that bothers me more than anything is watching my friends and neighbors pass or face the consequences of their diseases. Time seems to slip away much faster and we get closer to the end. John