A chat about the AM1/AM2 fin template.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I don't want to misquote, but I think GG said the popularity of the AM was due to the rise of boards with heavy tail rocker.

I think the AM is quite different than most other templates.

There was a time the the K2.1 was very popular.

GG's looks like a hybrid of the AM and k2.1
K2.1 is my favorite quad set. Still trying to replicate them in Futures. WCT fronts are the same but the rears….

Reactions: Havoc and sdsrfr
Oct 30, 2019
I am ignorant about fins - despite doing many experiments. my poorly informed opinion about AM2s

* not so good in a groveler type of board, in weaker waves ... sticky, bring a heavy feel to the turn ... not fun ... switch to "small" chippa Wilson fins ... much better. less drag - everything quicker. maybe AM1s ( if that is the smaller version ) would have had the same effect.

* same rider, same type of board, bigger punchier waves - AM2s improve. boards like the ghost. nice hold - predictable response. not necessarily exciting but if you are trying to get tubed, that's not necessary. just want the hold on the drop, the bottom turn and through the critical sections. AM2s do this well. they turn the wave power into down the line speed. and if you have the leg strength - you can translate that into a big powerful wrap after you exit the barrel. and the AM2s dont get in the way of that ... if you fail here its either you or the board - not the fin.

* they can go ok in bigger boards too - like midlength 6'10 to 8'0 ... if they are the stiffer fabrication. experience with both quad and thruster here. both are fine. am talking like an "average" type of midlength here --- fuller bodied board that can benefit from fins that give the rider more control.

complicated topic b/c it's rider+board+fins+waves and all the variations therein .... ymmv ...

tl:dr - I always have AM2s around - need em as a baseline. but they are rarely if every my favorite fin for a given board if I've experimented.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Have to say, the last time I used AM-2's, in a Pyz2, the board felt really dead and slow.

Easily the worst fin set I have used in that board.
Yeah, it kinda blew me away - two sets of fins, relatively close, could feel so different in the board.

I was certain it would have more drive with the significantly larger side fins of the AM1s vs the Jordys but this was 100% not the case.

It was total dogshit while the Jordys are epic.

Removable fin systems, Asian sweatshops, and surfers with disposable income have provided shapers an easy out - "Try a different set of fins".

Greg Griffin RIP really had the right idea - there is going to be an optimal fin for a board, the two work as a unit - amazing how this is not part of the shaper's equation anymore.

Reactions: sh3 and ehiunno

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Removable fin systems, Asian sweatshops, and surfers with disposable income have provided shapers an easy out - "Try a different set of fins".

Greg Griffin RIP really had the right idea - there is going to be an optimal fin for a board, the two work as a unit - amazing how this is not part of the shaper's equation anymore.

it sounds like fins were part of the equation with the board you’re talking about though?

i’ve always thought AMs were designed for rincon. I like more upright fins with more tip almost always. But if the shaper says “try with these fins” and you try every other fin instead…

Reactions: sh3

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I don't want to misquote, but I think GG said the popularity of the AM was due to the rise of boards with heavy tail rocker.

I think the AM is quite different than most other templates.

There was a time the the K2.1 was very popular.

GG's looks like a hybrid of the AM and k2.1
Interesting comment, and it makes sense. I've recently discovered that I prefer boards with pronounced tail rocker, so it tracks that I love the AM2's.

slickjc

Nep status
Jul 1, 2004
so. cal.
Am's are a good starting point . i usually prefer a more upright fin like the older Kellys, K2,1.
k 2.1 quad i like too. not too big.

John Johns are good too.

Am black stix are good.

Am's for point break or larger surf.

Reactions: ReForest

Scott Ando

OTF status
Nov 12, 2002
Santa Barbara
Visit site
I think this is due to the popularity of CI in CA.

Seems like a logical choice so people use them.

To me they have always felt dead and not engaged.

What I've noticed almost universally in every board is they seem to lack drive.

I used to wonder if this was due to the lack of area in the tip
So I tried the Captain Wade Goodall fin (all glass, very similar to AM but more tip and smaller rear) - loved it in pumping waves.
Hmm.

So today, Jordys (M) taken out of my P2 (the board and Jordys are like pease and carrots, replaced with AM1s.
I'm thinking overall the templates are pretty similar so should yield results that resemble one another.
Not so.
So bad - not engaged, less speed, poor highlining.

I really tried to figure out what was going on and TBH it just feels like the rear fin is not there, which really doesn't make sense, but I don't know how else to explain the feeling.

Now admittedly the surf was crap - stomach high with some chest high sets, windblown closeouts. But the Jordy felt so different and so much better, much more engaged at every moment. Despite being quite smaller.
Could be a visual bias. According to Jordy and Futures Jordy fins are simply re-skinned AMs with the trailer slightly larger. Even Jordy continued to choose AMs, when they should work the same. It was just in his head.