How do you size your mini-guns and guns?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
start using them for 8'0" + boards

og stretch gun fins, all 4 equal sized with 50/50 ish foil

no drama and feel great

We're derailing the thread a bit, but that's what fin discussion is for.....

80/20
60/40
50/50
symmetrical
flat

why? What makes them better in a larger board for larger waves?

Last edited:

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
my understanding is that flat foil fins = better for generating speed, as you get closer to symmetrical foil you get less speed off the fin and more control, which is more useful at bigger wave high speeds

tbh the thought of fin experimentation in big waves freaks me out and i've run those for years cuz i know they work

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
marc showed some prototypes he was working on last couple times i was by his place and honestly i wouldnt want to try one in waves of consequence.

im probably biased because everytime i see an edge board ridden in the wild by an average surfer they look tentative and un-intuitive under foot.

dont get me wrong. marc is the ultimate craftsman and like all his boards they are beautiful. those guns are trippy for sure but they do make sense.

still charging, esp. at my pedestrian level, is such a head game. 100% not interested mavericks and the bigger wave spots i do hit up, its only on simple designs i have full confidence in.

that take off btw was all twiggy putting himself on the spot. was surprised how high in the water the board rode for the design. mike, the guy who designed that gun, was a protege of marcs when i met him. they have been working on those edge guns with various fin configurations for at least the last 5 years. marc loves his singles married to the edge bottom. i wonder how that twiggy gun was finned.
One of the few people that I know that surfs mavs regularly swears by Marc’s edge guns. Said Wallace’s don’t work as well for him. I agree, it’s hard to wrap your head around it bc they don’t look like they would work AT ALL.

Reactions: doc_flavonoid

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Perfect. Definitely gonna need some dims on that, Bob.

I updated it as best I could but I don't have it in front of me. I'm pulling them from zooming in on a photo they sent me when it was still on the finishing rack. It could be 21 1/4" or 21 3/4" tough to tell in the photo.

I think it's 64+ liters. :waving:

Reactions: tacos and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah it looks narrower than my 7-10 paddi but maybe thats just the nose width. I dont think my paddi has that much volume either.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Yeah it looks narrower than my 7-10 paddi but maybe thats just the nose width. I dont think my paddi has that much volume either.

From the few paddilacs I've checked out, this doesn't narrow out quite as dramatically in the tail as those do.

Question:

Do ya'll put a pad of any kind on yours?
I'm not looking to rip turns on the thing, but knowing where my back foot is sometimes would be nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
From the few paddilacs I've checked out, this doesn't narrow out quite as dramatically in the tail as those do.

Question:

Do ya'll put a pad of any kind on yours?
I'm not looking to rip turns on the thing, but knowing where my back foot is sometimes would be nice.
I haven't put a pad on my 7'2 Chilli Faded 2.0 or my 7-10 Paddilac.

My thinking was that since they are both pretty long, foam forward designs I wouldn't be surfing them with my rear foot directly over the fin cluster much. That has proven to be true just looking at where my wax marks are. Even when I do get my stance way back there I've never felt like I was missing a pad because the turns I'm doing are pretty slow and drawn out.

That said if it makes you feel more comfortable to have a pad, even if you rarely use it, it's worth it.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

It's pretty full. The rails are a little fuller in the front half than I imagined when I ordered it, but they are more reasonable in the rear half. I told them I needed something that would paddle really well that still had a tuned/performance rail/rocker. I'm imagining stroking in earlier rather than tiptoeing in late.

Hopefully, it's exactly what I need, but duckdiving will be a bitch.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I put pads on all but my biggest guns (8'8" and up). There's a sense of security with that for me. Not for ripping turns and such, but to know I'm all the way back if that happens. On the bigger guns, I dunno... I just know, you know?

For quads, I've used the EA quads (they're pretty small actually) for some time with a 60/40 rear foil, I believe.

I'm actually pretty interested in the JJF quad gun fins as it's got a bigger back fin, versus what I ride now. More of a twiner style set up.

Reactions: oeste858

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I put pads on all but my biggest guns (8'8" and up). There's a sense of security with that for me. Not for ripping turns and such, but to know I'm all the way back if that happens. On the bigger guns, I dunno... I just know, you know?

For quads, I've used the EA quads (they're pretty small actually) for some time with a 60/40 rear foil, I believe.

I'm actually pretty interested in the JJF quad gun fins as it's got a bigger back fin, versus what I ride now. More of a twiner style set up.

I bought a used 6'10" that had one of these on it. No kick, no arch, pretty long. It looks pretty kooky but I've actually realized I kinda dig it.
That being said, I'm standing over the fins much more than I would be on something a foot longer.

Reactions: sh3

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
View attachment 173691
View attachment 173692

7'10" x 21 1/4" x 3 1/8" (I think. It's not in front of me). Didn't get a photo of the foil. It's pretty beefy, bit of a beak up front.
o_O:drowning:
This is a thing of beauty, Bob. At 7'10", the question is would you pad it? I guess I would, but that's me. If it were over 8', I probably wouldn't. #aspergersyndrome #onthespectrum #ocdforlifebruh

Reactions: Aruka

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Anyone riding bonzer5 guns?

Got a line on a 7'7 x 20 x 2 7/8 b5 for a really great price. - S cloth - immaculate condition.
50 yr old cracker looking to size up for DOH+ ish long period water moving days east coast plus some travel.

Interested in opinions.

@Maz -congrats on that JK. Super sick board.

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
I've got a 7'2 that I've taken out a few times in DOH surf. I like it. Holds a really good line and can really lock in on a carve. It does occasionally feel a touch stiff, but I'd prefer that to the opposite.

Think it's the Russ Short model, but not 100%. I bought it off a friend of a friend for $100 at a garage sale.

Reactions: Aruka and kpd73