Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I'm thinking about getting one.

What are the do's & don't

I don't like hanging wires all over the place

Reactions: Havoc
Feb 20, 2024
I bought this one back in November. It's 79$ now which is the best I've seen and what I paid during holiday sales. I used the suction mount and put it behind my rear view just to the passenger side of the rear view mirror mount so it's hardly taking up any extra line of sight. Tuck the wires behind trim. My car has a dash and center console 12v outlet, but the one in the console never turns off so I use the dash outlet which comes on and off with ignition. Only visible wire is right there at the outlet then goes behind trim. You can hardwire if you want nothing visible. Search youtube for examples and how-to's.

All the apps apparently suck, but this camera you can do everything without the app. I never even downloaded it. The only perk I'm missing is I have to pop out the micro sd if I want to transfer footage. With the app you can wi-fi it to yo phone. Takes good video. At night too. A few of the reviews say it's not a true 4k, but it's clear enough for me.

If you or anyone buys this dash cam, watch this video. It's more of a tutorial than a review, but it covers everything and he gets right to the point and covers everything.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: Chocki

RayG

Nep status
Dec 3, 2002
Astoria, NY USA
Used a Viofo in the past. No issues with quality and simplicity. Wire routing is a piece of cake if done right and you have a power outlet in a convenient place. Run the wires under the trim edges along windshield to the side of the dashboard to the outlet. Fortunate to have a power outlet in glovebox of the Subaru that can be fed from the BACK of the glove box.
One important tip- get one that uses Supercapacitor Batteries. they are not affected as much by extreme heat of being in the sun all the time on the windshield. Be careful to mount it in such a way as to not interfere with any camera related safety systems. The Subaru has the EyeSight cameras on either side of the rear view mirror with the Frit pattern between them. (Newer models have a third camera there), so it has to be placed on either side. FOV is wide enough that is shouldn't be a big deal.

Oh- one other thing I forgot about. If there is an opportunity to record GPS, Speed, etc... turn that off. If, for example, you are hit by someone else for whatever reason, Even if they are 100% in the wrong, some officials and/or Insurance Co's may see that you were 'exceeding the speed limit' and then have grounds to deny claims based on that info. Only save date and time, etc...

Last edited:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Had a couple viofo cams now. I run front and back because I occasionally need photos for work and the rear camera gives me a 2nd angle. It's not that useful though. I wouldn't buy a rear cam again. Front is 90% as good as a dual camera setup in my mind. As said above. Tuck the cord under the headliner, down the trim in the A pillar, under my mat on the passenger side, plug into USB port near cup holders, never think about it again.

There are debates about the legality and whether or not you should record audio with your video. The biggest benefit to having audio recorded is you can read a license plate # out loud so that you have a record of it. They're not always legible on the camera. The downside is the audio can be used against you in a court of law.

Feb 20, 2024
I have miles per hour and audio turned off. A great feature would be if you could easily toggle on and off voice recording, rather than having to open up the menu.

• Dislike
Reactions: Chocki

RayG

Nep status
Dec 3, 2002
Astoria, NY USA
I have miles per hour and audio turned off. A great feature would be if you could easily toggle on and off voice recording, rather than having to open up the menu.
If I remember, the Viofo has a button to turn the mic off or on. HOWEVER- it would depend on how easily you can get to the unit. If it's buried behind the RVM, then you'd have to feel around for the right button. But better than scrolling through a screen menu