Stem cell injections

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Well, that’s what I get for listening to the Doc who operated on me. I probably met 1/2 the offensive lineman in the NFL in his waiting room.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Your meniscus healed? I was told that was impossible. :mad:

I was under the impression that they don't "heal" as in "growing back", but as in the swelling and pain will subside and you can carry on unimpacted. Obviously that depends on the tear, location, and nature of the injury.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
I was under the impression that they don't "heal" as in "growing back", but as in the swelling and pain will subside and you can carry on unimpacted. Obviously that depends on the tear, location, and nature of the injury.
Pretty sure @bluengreen tore his from the bone and it reattached on its own and is now near 100%.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I have thought seriously about the T supplementation. My doctor raised the possibility of increased chance of forming blood clots. I talked to another doctor who stated something like, "Who mostly gets blood clots? Young people with high T or older people with lower T?" My other Doc raised the possibility of testicles like raisins that have given up any T production after supplementation and going bald. You start looking this stuff up, and you can find a Doc to tell just about whatever you want to believe. But if you have a better quality of life but it shortens your life by say five years? My father died at almost 95. Fvck those last five years. I could give that a miss.
The thing in old age is 3 servings of 40 grams of protein to trigger syntheses.

This is baseline but it's hard to do if you are trying to eat lower calories.

You loose 50 % of your muscle mass from 40 to 80.

That tidbit haunts me.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Can you comment as to why? Is it different than a guy doing PRP? I know nothing about it. Back Dr. said no go for me on Lumbar Disk replacement due to Facets being no bueno. thanks
She’s been doing it 1995 for starters. She’s one of the pioneers of PRP. She’s one of the innovators of the current protocols. She literally wrote the book on it.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
She’s been doing it 1995 for starters. She’s one of the pioneers of PRP. She’s one of the innovators of the current protocols. She literally wrote the book on it.
must be a short read

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The funny thing to me is part of the recovery is no strenuous activity for 2 months? A long period of time. I forget the exact timing. So is it just taking 2+ months off that is helping him or the stem cells? I am not a doctor.
That wasn’t the protocol that I was given. I took a week off, full rest. Another week of moderate stress then back to full power.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Stem cell treatment works really fucking well for a lot of people. We don’t really have it done much in the US because of right wing religious fanatics are afraid that aborted baby parts might be used for stem cell research.

We should be 20 years ahead of where we are but for those dummies.

But go ahead and mock it because ONE of the thousands of people who have had great results with is someone you don’t like (for “reasons”).

That seems like a really intelligent thing to do.
It would seem to me that technology that literally grows back cartilage (otherwise impossible), fixes degenerative joints, slows aging etc would be Nobel prize worthy, yet so far it’s a treatment largely relegated to back alley clinics in Central America.

I’m 100% in favor of medical innovation. I’m not a fan of money-wasting, life-threatening procedures that have been studied and have not been shown to provide any lasting benefit over known treatments or placebo, particularly when performed in TJ.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
There are over 2,500 clinics in the US doing stem cell work. It's just that there is no insurance coverage so it's a cash deal. And like a lot of things, you can spend 50 grand on something here that you can get south of the border for five. (With all the risk south of the border medical care entails)

There's some promise re the therapy.

"Stem cells: What they are and what they do

Stem cells offer great promise for new medical treatments. Learn about stem cell types, current and possible uses, and the state of research and practice."

Stem cells: What they are and what they do - Mayo Clinic

And you can find a fair number of people who claim they were helped. Whether that is higher than placebo I don't know. But I'm three for three on people that had positive experiences. Standard being pain reduction/elimination.

If it did work, think of all the anti-inflammatories/pain medications that would take a financial hit? I wonder how many billions per year that little industry niche is worth?

I've got one hip that X-rays really ugly but doesn't hurt that much. I still work out hard on it. I make no concessions to it so far. But the writing is on the wall. I've considered trying a stem cell Doc that is in town here. It's a risk. Financial and medical I suppose. I can afford it. But I'm cheap. I hate paying money for nothing. I'm mostly worried about "do no harm."

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I've got one hip that X-rays really ugly but doesn't hurt that much. I still work out hard on it. I make no concessions to it so far. But the writing is on the wall. I've considered trying a stem cell Doc that is in town here. It's a risk. Financial and medical I suppose. I can afford it. But I'm cheap. I hate paying money for nothing. I'm mostly worried about "do no harm."

No doctor you would ever want working on you would recommend treatment for an asymptomatic hip. Like spinal MRIs, if you scan a guy over 40, you'll see damage. If the damage isn't impacting you in any meaningful way, keep going. It's wear and tear, not a tumor.

Now, if your hip hurts, and it looks mangled, there's some pretty straightforward solutions that are widely accepted and minimally invasive. Replacement and resurfacing have been done for a long time and typically recover with great results. It's not a knee. And it's covered by insurance.

Griffin and Kelly had them in the last year and are both in the water.