Blacks

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The cliffs down there are collapsing on the regular over the past weeks and despite the obvious evidence people are still posting up directly beneath.:socrazy:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
You get some Canyon sets yet @bluengreen ?

I haven't surfed Blacks much. When I was probably 12 I surfed it on a biggish West swell. My dad was a kneeboarder in SD County that was a bit of a tube hound. I got super rattled and wanted to go in. My dad told me to paddle in and a canyon set swung through right as I took a few strokes. I spun to sprint back out the back whie I watched my friend, his dad, and half the lineup get smoked. My buddy's dad (RIP) broke his board bailing under it, my friend got washed in. I almost cussed my dad out. Then I sprinted in.
Not yet. I missed the good swells with surgery recovery and then holiday travel. I'm not really keen to trek all the way down there for anything average.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
after work i used to be able to get in the water by 3 07 - 3 10 and would go down there religiously m - f and get some super fun days w no crowds - people not making the walk down that late if wind on it and as long as there was some swell could always have fun -

heard those afternoon empty sessions are a thing of the past these days

blacks in the winter and indo in the summer was a great schedule

such a great wave and those sunsets off the canyon - magical place

382948B3-C0B8-4AF3-B8F6-1CA3AD17A804.jpeg

Last edited:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I think those empty sessions anywhere are a thing of the past.

I used to surf my local with less than 10 people when it was firing. Now the parking lot is packed before sunrise and there's 50 people on it at first light.
You can still get it "empty" and epic. That's the magic of the place.

@Varyness, There are perfect barreling rights off of North Peak. You have to be careful though as they put you right in the death zone if a set comes. If there's a kelp blanket, it can be really scary. You surfed Sunset so it should be cake walk. Reality, up to head and a half, there are very good rights down the hill. Once it gets past that, you do take beatings.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I've surfed good uncrowded Blacks a few times over the past few years. Luck, timing.
You can still get it "empty" and epic. That's the magic of the place.
Agree. Had a very memorable fall day probably 2 yrs back by now. Buddy and I alone on the south peak. sheet glass, 70s air and playful.

HH chip shots on a conveyor belt. Giggling back out as my buddy got into the next one.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I've surfed it 1000+ times. It is a surf spot that rewards effort. It's a big playing field, so analyzing what is starting to happen where, and getting on it when it is just starting to happen will yield results. Then paddle away and let the pack vie for what they just saw you doing. You've got to move around, preferably away from guys who are tougher to get waves from.