DIY kit?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Ouch. Learning to foil has a very steep learning curve. If you can make it a few more sessions I promise you that your skill will start ramping up quickly and it becomes super fun as opposed to the lugging furniture up and down the beach that it feels like right now.

It's been the non-windy season. We're coming into spring. Just give it through spring before you make any decisions.
no shame and no big deal man.

i was in ventana from Oct 31 - dec 23. foiled my brains out.

NOT A BEGINNER FRIENDLY SPOT

most of my group of foiling friends have been at it for a 2-3 years. i started in may and i'm almost caught up with them. i'm nailing 80% of my jibes and foot switches. one of my buddies keeps egging me on to start toe side tacks.

when said buddy and i were in ventana, we commented to each other many times that it's not a place to try to learn to wing. when norte's blow through, there's a lot of swell and chop, making it difficult to get on the board and get going. then when you're going - it gets gnarly. my ass was puckered tighter than a drum several times doing downwinders. you might get lucky and find a light wind day or two, but i really wouldn't suggest it.

on the drive down, we passed by salton sea and it looked like a pretty fun wing foil spot. how far would your drive out there be? if you want to fly someplace to learn for a wing, i'd go to hatteras.
Thanks guys. Honestly, Cabrillo seems like the best spot to learn where I am. The thermals are pretty consistent in the summer and if it only takes a few days to learn, maybe I can just get a hotel there overnight. My parents live in HB which isn't far.

I still would really like to learn this but the learning curve is steep. A lot of advice is bad (it's good on here). Seems like they need to beef-up the light wind training equipment b/c so many places lack consistent wind. Seems like they could make inflatable bumper collars for DW boards as light wind training wheels so you can remove them when you get the hang of it.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
As an early adopter, I am far from those early stages ... but will never forget how filling that humble pie was. I don't think there's any shortcut. Other than a few freakishly athletic buddies, everyone I know has done the seemingly endless shame-walks and foil-mares that define this journey.

One way to shorten the learning curve is to talk to locals about gear and locations and timing. The wind community is so much more accepting and inviting than surfing. Everyone was a wind kook, it's part of the code that you help other kooks. And also that you look out for them, as your new buddy did. You'll do the same once you're expert.

The second part is once you ask for help, follow it. As a surfer, I tend towards doing things my own way in my own time, leave me alone I'll figure it out. Took a long time to realize that wind chasers are expert risk managers. They don't congregate because they like each other (though they do) but because they have assessed, through 1000s of repeated trials, that that spot at that time with that gear maximizes the probability for success. They still get skunked, everyone does ... but after a while, there's more success than failure.

It'll come, but like all good things, they don't come easy.

Finally, this forum's a good one for lots of stuff, but I think you can get lots more wind specific help elsewhere. Kiteforum, standupzone, seabreeze all have wing divisions that are more active (though not as active as they used to be...the age of discussion forums seems to be waning).

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
You can take discussion forums out of my cold dead hands! I will not go to social media and shout into the void!
"Unaware of what year it was, Joe wandered the streets desperate for help. But the English language had deteriorated into a hybrid of hillbilly, valleygirl, inner-city slang and various grunts. Joe was able to understand them, but when he spoke in an ordinary voice he sounded pompous and fa*gy to them. " Idiocracy :)

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
This looks pretty rad.
it looks really fun

my foil crew and i talk all the time about how much fun downwinding looks. i've chatted up a bunch of people who've gotten into it and it takes soooo much time. there's a gal who's a good kiter and winger who documented her process of learning last summer. took her over 100 hours of water time in good conditions to be able to get it.

• Wow
Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
it looks really fun

my foil crew and i talk all the time about how much fun downwinding looks. i've chatted up a bunch of people who've gotten into it and it takes soooo much time. there's a gal who's a good kiter and winger who documented her process of learning last summer. took her over 100 hours of water time in good conditions to be able to get it.
Seems like it would be nice to have a boost up onto foil in low wind but those foil drives are expensive. A guy on YouTube made one.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
yep it's doable to DIY. Buddy of mine who has played with RC made up some foil drive equivalents, he bought a 3d printer for part making...under a $1000 for a decent one I think

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
My wing buddy is there today. He's giving lessons now if anyone is interested. He has the lake conditions dialed.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
My wing buddy is there today. He's giving lessons now if anyone is interested. He has the lake conditions dialed.

He really does have it dialed. I'm starting to understand the mindset of guys who play wind sports - they're ready to go on a moment's notice. I probably could've made it yesterday but ended up taking the kids to the beach. The surf was anemic even for my 13 year-old and my other two got bored b/c the fish weren't biting. Makes me wonder if I could've dragged them along to Perris. The oldest one, probably not.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
He really does have it dialed. I'm starting to understand the mindset of guys who play wind sports - they're ready to go on a moment's notice. I probably could've made it yesterday but ended up taking the kids to the beach. The surf was anemic even for my 13 year-old and my other two got bored b/c the fish weren't biting. Makes me wonder if I could've dragged them along to Perris. The oldest one, probably not.

You can fish at lakes. I got an inflatable row boat like I had for the the pool when I was a kid and my 9 and 11 year old had fun floating out in the lake and jumping off it last summer. Everyone needs a life jacket though.

Wind forecasts are so much more annoying than surf forecasts. You can never really trust them.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
haha, dragging family to wind spots = no bueno. Everyone hates wind, except the wind rider :)

lifelong surfer transitioned to wind ... she's a fickle mistress, it's way worse than trying to fit in a surf around a busy life. It's constant scheming and plotting ... then getting skunked half the time and feeling bitter that you not only missed it, but also burnt a ticket at home for nothing. Damn, makes me feel bitter thinking about it.

But the highs are great when you score! And hopefully, when you're in a decent spot and prime season, there's a daily dependability that allows you to actually schedule a balanced life like an almost normal human. The ultimate luxury is starting to feel a little bored with the same old day after day, needing to mix it up to keep it interesting. I am looking forward to summer.

Reactions: averagejoe

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
haha, dragging family to wind spots = no bueno. Everyone hates wind, except the wind rider :)
i've tried bringing the wife along and she hates it. windsports can be a total relationship wrecker if you let it. i am fortunate that our good wind season coincides with my slower season at work. i get in most of my sessions during the week and i'm home before the wife. she actually encourages me to stay later when i drive over to the bay area so she can have an hour alone after work.

from march through september, the forecasts are usually right on and the days are plentiful. rarely get skunked. it's hard right now because we're chasing storms and the forecasts are usually off in some way and i've been skunked a few times. the focal point right now is the half moon bay harbor. super flat water with strong sw winds around storms. most sessions are setting up and/or breaking down in the rain. water is cold af. it's an hour and a half drive each way. and it's my busy time of year. i'm thinking about breaking down and going back to surfboard riding once a week just to scratch the itch.

Reactions: PRCD