Never forget…

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
So in your fantasy world without economic expense, Americans watched the deadly pandemic on the news each night, seeing the death count, hospitals overrun, and story after story of personal tragedy, and they just ignore it all and send their kids to school, go to the office every day, and enjoy happy hour at Cracker Barrel on the way home.

You have a rich fantasy life. (y)
All overreaction driven by the government and pushed by their media arm

I'm so happy you're starting to understand how this all works when you're trying to argue the other way

So in your fantasy world, not only does the US government ignore the pandemic, they somehow force all other nations to ignore the pandemic.

You have a super rich fantasy life. :bowdown:
The US is a leader. If a large population and large geographic country that's also the richest and most powerful in the world doesn't fall for it, our minions end up following us

For instance, in your rewrite only "dementia patients on oxygen" died of covid. That you feel the need for hyperbole indicates that you do care on some level though. Feelings are nothing to be ashamed of.
Such a reach. You're not doing well here

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Do you actually think that if there were no lockdowns people would have ignored the pandemic and gone about business as usual? You can’t actually think that, seriously.
1,000,000% It's what they do every other winter when there's a new virus

Incidentally, even the Trump administration extended the lockdowns. If there was ever an administration that would have tried to prevent them it would have been that administration. So how could they have possibly been prevented?
BUH DRUMPF

The states made everything worse

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
so @Ifallalot says "old people are going to die" and @estreet concludes that @Ifallalot does not care?

well, maybe @Ifallalot indeed does not care. i cannot see inside his head.

the only thing i can tell you for sure is that i also acknowledge that "old people are going to die" and believe that fact has a bearing on what resources we as a society expend on their care. and i do care about old people. but i also care about young people.

and i would not trade away a significant part of young peoples' futures in a futile attempt to extend a relatively small part of old peoples' lives.

that seems like a bad trade to me. apparently a majority of people think its a good trade. jolly for them.
The people in power are old, so they make decisions like a gerontocracy

The people in thrall to these old people go right along with them.

Reactions: schex

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Perhaps he doesn't have the free-will to consider the topic rationally.
Highly amusing this was applied to someone who used to rationalize based on a Bernie-adjacent ideology and is now somewhere between tradcon and anti-"degeneracy" libertarian ideology.

Please die because the boat you were on was sunk by orcas.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
The people in power are old, so they make decisions like a gerontocracy

The people in thrall to these old people go right along with them.
yes and yes. just amazing to see how their realities are constructed on the propaganda that the gerontocracy fed them.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
All overreaction driven by the government and pushed by their media arm
So in your new fantasy world politicians and the media aren't allowed to push overreaction. Just out of curiosity, who controls the government and the media in your new fantasy?

The US is a leader. If a large population and large geographic country that's also the richest and most powerful in the world doesn't fall for it, our minions end up following us

• Haha
Reactions: slipped_disc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
No way would I have been completely unchanged March/April 2020. I for sure would have chillaxed on the busier grocery shopping times, still would have worked from home for two months....

I can tell you what change number 1 would have been - I'd have surfed and surf fished the fucking sh!t out of it. The surf wasn't amazing, late March and April are usually pretty good relative to some other months - especially Summer - but the weather until the Memorial Day blast furnace heat wave that year was fucking Elder God tier. Sooooooo many good conditions days. Soooooooo many good days to get on the MTB trails in the closed parks.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Covid was a 1st world cluster of epic proportions.

I really hope we learned from all of the BS the WHO, CDC, fed and worse, state/county/city guvs pulled on everyone with their little tests of absolute power over the general public.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
In 2021, 5k died of the flu and 700k died of covid.

Now I believe you when you say that you're not good with big numbers.

Even "Free Florida" had lockdowns. :oops:
For a month or two.

While CA kept up the charade for two years