Brad Gerlach Wave Ki

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Jamie O'Brien has given coaching to pros for pipeline. I would guess some of that would be location specific advice. I should be open minded about whether coaching could say help me in tubes, because lessons for hp surfing was really eye opening to me. There was even an explanation and lesson for the backside floater. But I'm reluctant to do tubes. I've had the board travel up the face of the wave and hit me in the face!

Some people naturally surf properly, but don't know how to explain the biomechanics of it. Then there are/were people like me who didn't surf properly, because they didn't understand the correct biomechanics. I did the lessons with a neighbour and as he said to me "people can know that someone looks good, but they don't know why they look good".

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Beach break L & R's head high with some hollow waves, backside floaters are way more dangerous than being in the barrel. I've been injured on bs floaters more than anything, ankle, knee, hip, butt on fin, ribs, shoulder, split ear canal, compressed neck, concussion. If you surf shallow reef and all you can do is get barreled, then certainly the ratio would change but that's not typical for most surfers.

Last edited:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Beach break L & R's head high with some hollow waves, backside floaters are way more dangerous than being in the barrel. I've been injured on bs floaters more than anything, ankle, knee, hip, butt on fin, ribs, shoulder, split ear canal, compressed neck, concussion. If you surf shallow reef and all you can do is get barreled, then certainly the ratio would change but that's not typical for most surfers.
You are doing a different sort of floater to me. There is the over the roof of the barrel floater and there is the over the white water section floater. I'm only trying the latter on mushy waves. I have bottled out of all over the roof of the barrel opportunities and can imagine they would be dangerous.

I thought at the time that the lesson would be too advanced - I'd never done one, although I had figured out frontside floaters and once in a while managed them. The whole thing was choreographed on a surfskate with details such as arms in a t-position and in line with body which in turn is inline with board (unlike normal surfing with a more chest facing forward position). Compared to say practicing the tiger/superman sequence it felt a bit contrived. We were using a line drawn on the tarmac to "simulate" the float section. I suppose it did get the details into my memory and to my surprise I actually achieved one that lesson, the instructor got it on vid and showed me, but he never got around to emailing it to me and has since left the country and now living somewhere with tropical waves! Managed a little one this arvo - more lefts than rights and I happened to remember my post from yesterday.

Reactions: ehiunno and teeroi

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
Wound up watching that Ombe video. There's some useful information overall, but I don't think the framing of flight, freeze, fall or position works. It seemed like they were struggling to figure it out most of the time, too.

I do think focusing on the psychology in barrel riding is important. Most the barrels you miss are probably from fear making you take off too far on the shoulder or hesitating on the paddle and getting stuck in the lip. But watching people in a wave pool and trying to judge their headspace isn't helpful in understanding how to fix that imo.

Also, I couldn't stop thinking of this when the dude kept saying "you need to do less"

1693254309726.png

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I started my own surf imrprovement program today (gunna use OG coach Martin Dunn), with the null hypothesis.

Which was surfing a few little zippers - I was having fun enjoying the sunshine, Bluewater and marine life and sliding a few on the Bonzer octafish.

Straight away from seeing the footage I could see my small wave technique was lazy, lacking in effective energy and not utilising the speed points on the wave.

Speed generation in small surf has always been my weakest point- especially after I spent decades chasing barrelling lefts.

Kinda fun, kinda lame to try and improve that.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I started my own surf imrprovement program today (gunna use OG coach Martin Dunn), with the null hypothesis.

Which was surfing a few little zippers - I was having fun enjoying the sunshine, Bluewater and marine life and sliding a few on the Bonzer octafish.

Straight away from seeing the footage I could see my small wave technique was lazy, lacking in effective energy and not utilising the speed points on the wave.

Speed generation in small surf has always been my weakest point- especially after I spent decades chasing barrelling lefts.

Kinda fun, kinda lame to try and improve that.
martin dunns program is still relevant. may start up again

Reactions: sjlist

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
... .
will it be remote coaching where you send him vid? No good in person coaches available? I had to google null hypothesis - so you starting with the expected outcome that coaching will not have any effect on your surfing? Bonzers don't look like small wave equipment to me, but I know nothing about them!

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I wil send him vids and use his online coaching.

There are in person coaches but I don't have enough disposable to justify taking money out of the family budget for that.

Rather go to G-land than have someone tell me to wave my arms around.

Luckily I'm pretty good at self analysis and have zero ego about it anymore.

Reactions: Mr J and JDJ