Stab in the dark 2023

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
So Italo un-knowingly eliminates the board from the shaper he is/has been sponsored by for 14 years (Timmy Patterson). Is he currently riding Timmy's boards? If so their relationship could turn a little frosty. Hang on I think its already been mentioned they are being made by Brazzo ghostshapers.
Anyway begs the question have any of the pros that have featured in this series over the years changed to the winning shaper's boards post test?

Last edited:
Reactions: paunch23

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
The CI looked noticeably better under his feet than everything so far.

On another note, Italo's crew is like a NASCAR pitcrew. I'm beginning to see the relevance of the animated cars.

Reactions: ReForest

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
So Italo un-knowingly eliminates the board from the shaper he is/has been sponsored by for 14 years (Timmy Patterson). Is he currently riding Timmy's boards? If so their relationship could turn a little frosty. Hang on I think its already been mentioned they are being made by Brazzo ghostshapers.
Anyway begs the question have any of the pros that have featured in this series over the years changed to the winning shaper's boards post test?
Jordy?

Reactions: sdsrfr

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Italo rides a lot of volume for his size. Internet is claiming he’s 148 lbs and he’s riding 26.6L here.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
what appear to be super fun and punchy beach break conditions
Fernando de Noronha, at least in the youtube clip I watched, with the island and the waves wrapping and wedging. That's a dead ringer for my idea for "artificial reefs". A nearshore structure that turns shapeless walls into wedges galore, vs attempting to put Lowers in the South Bay. Seems like an ideal setup in sand zones to turn closeouts into skateparks, and I'm sure corals, kelps, shellfish, birds, seals, etc. could colonize. South Bay needs nearshore rookeries for the Rampy Plover, the Punty Plover, the Peaky Plover, the Wedgey Plover, the Bowly Plover....Heal the Bay, Save the Planet, Nuke the Gay Baby Oncoming Sections for Curren.

I kind of like Italo's surfing. I can't identify with airs but 90% of the waves I stand up on, the first thing I do is pump 2-3 times, and I like his top turn/re-entry surfing.

Reactions: Aruka

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I can't really decide between the CI, Lost, and JS as far as what I liked best
He PUSHED that CI on his carves and it held. I could see him becoming a CI enthusiast.

Crazy that that the lost was semi ghost shaped
Just shows how tight the ship is at the biggest shapers. I'm actually not that surprised. Italo liking his ghost shaped TPs more than an actual TP kind of speaks to that.

The more I watch italo surf and listen to his commentary the more I don't really care for him
I kind of dig his surfing in this crap, and you have to admit that straight air on the CI was awesome. I was like, "Holy sh!t - Italo just did a straight air." Then they and he commented on that. Cracked me up.

Now, with that said, I'm not much appreciating him the more he talks. Chest puffing, braggadocio and such... which might just be cultural thing. I said this to a friend recently who might read it again here: Italo needs a better handler/manager. Having it be his childhood friend is a nice nod to loyalty, but a terrible move for business and relationships. He needs a little bit of PR work. I like Italo, so it bums me out.

Scott Ando

OTF status
Nov 12, 2002
Santa Barbara
Visit site
tweaked model they ran last year (CI pro I think). @Scott Ando would know for sure.
CI Pro with relaxed nose and tail rocker, talking less that 1/8" on both = CI 2.Pro.

With surfing at this level that curve change does make a big difference. How that 1/8" less curve is placed in the rocker is determined by a year's worth of constant tour level feedback.

Meaning it's not just a stab in the dark .... errrrrr

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
CI Pro with relaxed nose and tail rocker, talking less that 1/8" on both = CI 2.Pro.

With surfing at this level that curve change does make a big difference. How that 1/8" less curve is placed in the rocker is determined by a year's worth of constant tour level feedback.

I see what you did there....

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The CI looked noticeably better under his feet than everything so far.

On another note, Italo's crew is like a NASCAR pitcrew. I'm beginning to see the relevance of the animated cars.
I think its the EPS Construction that he likes. He said that in the beginning too. Not to take away from the designs (that i'm sure has a lot to do with it).

Also, Italo admittedly said he could surf a door. So it's hard to judge how a board looks different on him, when he surfs all of them exactly the same. Super wide stance, jumping up and down on them like a monkey to get it going, short bottom turn, then huge punt or snappy turn.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
from episode 1 it sounds like timmy hasn't shaped him a board in quite awhile. Left up to the Brazillian shapers that work for patterson

I'd imagine they own the license in Brazil, which Italo's management should have been trying to negotiate a piece of.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House

Even An intermediate level surfer is going to feel that diff. An 1/8” diff in tail rocker - whether it’s a change in the flip/bend at the tail block or overall curve is not insignificant.