"Look at Me" Lifestyle

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I remember a time when the fishermen were dropping the fish guts that attracted the seals that attracted the sharts.

blame the fishermen!

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
<I am glad Subway (miraculously) doesn't have selfie(s) with a sea lion(s) behind him and would have otherwise remained in the thread and posted said selfie(s)>
See even when I don’t derail a thread with some fascinating and vaguely related personal anecdote, (with or without a selfie) you guys KEEP YANKING ME BACK IN. :)

MIXED MESSAGES PEOPLE. THEY DRIVE ME NEARLY AS MENTAL AS UNSOLICITED ADVICE

I tell cool stories cause I have cool stories. Show off! Attention Whore! Spot naming private club joining coastal elite laptop class MFer!!!

I decline to tell a story: “QUICK SOMEONE TAG SUBWAY THIS THREAD SUCKS AND DESPERATELY NEEDS A LINE OF PURE UNCUT BOLIVIAN SUBWAY POWDER”

I just set off the smoke alarm puffing my vape in the men’s room of the admirals lounge in Miami. They sent someone to investigate, but by then I’m over here eating jerk chicken soup and rice crispy treats like what? What are those flashing lights? And a loudspeaker saying “do not worry, the alarm is being investigated” lol

staff member walking by says “oh it’s someone probably just smoking in the bathroom”

I would normally say “lesson learned” but we all know that would be bullshit :)

Reactions: Truth

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006

I believe both Los Angeles and Newport require boat owners to take steps to keep sea lions off their boats. Most places do I believe. Chugging a beer and doing a flip seems rather a humane method of keeping those sea hogs from sinking your boat/dock.

Last edited:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006

As an owner of both a boat and a dock they get little sympathy from me. Plus they scare my pitbulls.

I had one about that size chase me out of the water one time. He came up on the beach. The sun was going down and my boat was anchored about two hundred yards from the beach. Not a good time.

Last edited:

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA

As an owner of both a boat and a dock they get little sympathy from me. Plus they scare my pitbulls.

I had one about that size chase me out of the water one time. He came up on the beach. The sun was going down and my boat was anchored about two hundred yards from the beach. Not a good time.
Pu$$y!

Kidding, kidding.....I kid.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I like seeing the sea lions, but to be honest I would be more afraid of being close to an agitated male one out in the water than a juvenile great white shark just passing by.
Not sure I'd go that far but I get what you are saying.

Elephant seals are way more of a concern.

Years ago surfing N. of town Santa Cruz we paddled out at Greyhound Rock with only 4 of us and no one else anywhere to be seen. One of the best surf days I've ever had. It was perfect conditions glassy and head high to overhead A frames. Just could not ask for a better set up on that day.

But, I was being harassed by a youngish elephant seal almost the whole time. I was not familiar with this spot or area so I asked my buds that live up there if there was any need for concern... "not unless he bites you" was all they said.

I was crapping my pants the whole time but turned out just fine. I was also scared shitless the whole time because the water was so black and the bull kelp boils kept popping up all around me I was afraid it was a white shark for sure. LOL.

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California

Years ago surfing N. of town Santa Cruz we paddled out at Greyhound Rock with only 4 of us and no one else anywhere to be seen. One of the best surf days I've ever had. It was perfect conditions glassy and head high to overhead A frames. Just could not ask for a better set up on that day.

But, I was being harassed by a youngish elephant seal almost the whole time. I was not familiar with this spot or area so I asked my buds that live up there if there was any need for concern... "not unless he bites you" was all they said.

I was crapping my pants the whole time but turned out just fine. I was also scared shitless the whole time because the water was so black and the bull kelp boils kept popping up all around me I was afraid it was a white shark for sure. LOL.
That's full on adult sharkie territory there. Blame the elephant seals (i.e., food) for that.

Reactions: keenfish

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I like seeing the sea lions, but to be honest I would be more afraid of being close to an agitated male one out in the water than a juvenile great white shark just passing by.
Yes, I just loved it several months back when one was porpoising directly at me from a long ways away. Part of me was worried about the actual seal (also been chased out of water before) but also what was behind it? Held my ground, decided any sudden motions would only make things worse and situation happily resolved itself. Big sucker too.

• Wow
Reactions: keenfish

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory

my buddy got bit by one and we all laughed at him , we are assholes.

there was one that hung out eastside SC for a while and liked to bite and pull on peoples leashes, so many freak outs hahaha

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
I remember a time when the fishermen were dropping the fish guts that attracted the seals that attracted the sharts.

blame the fishermen!
Great for flounder fishing on the east coast...can't tell you the amount of times I've caught more gassing the boat up on the docks rather than in the creeks.