The Official OBSF Support Group

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Point Reyes Buoy up to 8@18 already. SF is showing 7@19. Yikes.

Who's giving it a go today? Looking gnarly but not that good. Costs benefit analysis not favorable.

I'm eyeing a window in the afternoon when the tide and swell drop.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: tacos and Aruka

JLW

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 7, 2004
Point Reyes Buoy up to 8@18 already. SF is showing 7@19. Yikes.

Who's giving it a go today? Looking gnarly but not that good. Costs benefit analysis not favorable.

I'm eyeing a window in the afternoon when the tide and swell drop.
It looks like a lot of work, even by big Ocean Beach standards. I saw a couple guys paddle out in the morning and only saw one wave ridden among 4 guys in a 40 minute window. Not very organized, although that could change with the tide. I'll take my chances at some more protected options down South. It's too bad, really. I haven't used my 8'0" since January...although a big part of that is because I'm a bit picky (aka kind of a pussy) when it comes to surfing big Ocean Beach. I only surf it bigger than 12' faces when it's ultra-clean and groomed.

When I was younger it was kind of exciting and novel to get the sh!t kicked out of you at big Ocean Beach. Now it just feels like a lot of effort. Once again, maybe I'm just getting old and soft. But idk... When you catch 3 waves in a 2 hour session, and most of them are closeouts or shoulder off out to sea, is it really even surfing?

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
I got to Noriega around 10am just to watch and saw a few out in the line-up, a couple people picked off some of the rights, pulled-in and got pinched, pretty gnarly. Also saw basically the whole pack out there get caught inside and cleaned up. Was crazy to see just how big it was with someone riding the wave.

I drove back up to VFWs and watched for a little, watched a couple guys get denied and only 2 other dudes outside. I had no aspirations of being a hero but figured I’d give it a shot paddling out since it was smaller—just more walled up there. Lost count of how many waves I duckdove but just kept my head down. It finally let up a little and I thought I might have a split second chance to actually make it outside. Mother ocean decided against that and next thing I knew a closed out set was about to break a little over 10 yards away from me. I ditched and swam as deep as I could, got pounded, dragged, held under, pushed deeper, pounded some more, kept reminding myself to stay calm but then thinking wtf I‘m still getting worked? Had to take a few strokes to get to the surface thinking–okay I made it through that in one piece. By the time I got ahold of my board the next wave was about to break on me, this time was thinking: (1) fuck, (2) I hope my board doesn’t break, (3) if this one works me like the first, what the fuck am I doing? Wasn’t as bad. Got back on my board and duckdove the next couple waves until it let up a little, had a split second thought of just maybe I could make it outside, but then came to my senses and headed in. Considering it just further part of my acclimation to real waves and figured the erBB crew would like to hear (and jeer) about how I got denied at the smaller part of the beach. (where’s the tomato smiley?)

Stoked to read about anyone else’s attempts today.

Looking forward to some beers tonight, gotta play host this weekend to some friends coming to town so I’ll be missing tomorrow but maybe will give Sunday afternoon a go.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Yeah, Kool-Aid and I gave it a go together at Lawton around 1 p.m. Was not THAT big but walled and gnarly, with maybe 1 lull every 20-30 minutes. Ended up bellying in after getting close to the outside bar but no cigar. Never felt gassed and out of paddle strength, but sense of futility set in after maybe 20 minutes of pounding. Walking back to Lawton watched that same stretch of beach continue to detonate for the next 10 minutes straight. I headed up to Moraga solo and tried again with the same result. Bummer. Gonna beg the wife to let me try again tomorrow.

Last edited:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Yeah, Kool-Aid and I gave it a go together at Lawton around 1 p.m. Was not THAT big but walled and gnarly, with maybe 1 lull every 20-30 minutes. Ended up bellying in after getting close to the outside bar but no cigar. Never felt gassed and out of paddle strength, but sense of futility set in after maybe 20 minutes of pounding. Walking back to Lawton watched that same stretch of beach continue to detonate for the next 10 minutes straight. I headed up to Moraga solo and tried again with the same result. Bummer. Gonna beg the wife to let me try again tomorrow.
True story. Got denied twice in the morning and once in the afternoon.

Sucks not to make it out on the first big day of the year but I can't remember a time I've ever seen it that consistent at that size.

Talked to a few regulars who said it really was luck of the draw.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Seems more like an abusive boyfriend.
Use whatever analogy makes sense to you. :unsure:

I relate to the bipolar ex-cheerleader who is now middle-aged. She rarely puts out or cleans up, but when she does, she can be wonderful. 90% of the time you look at her and remember the good times not what is right in front of you, cold, disorganized, mean-spirited, and relentless.