Explanation of Localism

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
With 70+ to 80 degree water.

Avocados are expensive here, not like Oregon but $4usd/kg. That’s close to the luxury item cost. Thanks Carla Hills, Billy Clinton, and that mamavergas Carlos Salinas de Gortari. Avocados won’t grow on the beach here and the rest of the state north of us doesn’t produce until you cross the Río Balsas into Michoacán. Big industry there. Bigger than reefer. I’ll give you two guesses who controls it.

We will get avocados a kg at a time and they ripen perfectly with some attention and then get a load that stays hard as a rock and gets skunky as soon as it starts to soften.

If I could stand freezing my nuts off for the majority of the year Oregon would be a good choice. Chop firewood, li dat.

We’ve had people from Oregon camp on the beach this time of year forever (hi Qsurf, missed you by a click so many years ago on Thanksgiving no less) year in and out. Their camping spots are now fenced private property.

No traffic signals yet...

Nobody is holding a gun to your young head, you live where you live because there are more positives than negatives.

Surf was in the good to very good range this morning and sounds lively tonight. So there’s that.
Aguacate vato. Dat chit is almost as expensive as good Mota here. 8€/kg.

They ripen perfectly, always, along as you place them into a brown paper bag, with a couple of nanas and some tomatoes that are just past ripe, but not yet rotting.

8€/kg though? And they come from one island over only.

We're told we have the most expensive shopping basket in Spain. I'd believe that, except I head up to Madrid every so often and see that's not true.

We do sleep very calmly at night though... doors and windows open, once left my keys on the car door in the street, a neighbor took them and placed them in my front door. Noone has guns here, except the hunters. At most we get some stabbings at the Latino clubs over a hot 'tamale' who danced with someone she shouldn't have. Theft is non existent, except petty stuff, car radios, Surf boards, etc...

TBH I have no idea why someone would willingly live where they can lose their lives by being in the wrong place at the wrong time and high crime rates around. Surf or no surf.

:shrug::crazy2:

Back on topic, a typical "local" here cannot even pronounce the town name where they reside, as they are either English, German or Italian. It's like fooking Disneyland of Surfing. Except the fast pass is held by those who know where to sit and how to catch waves, the rest just flounder about in the twisting long line waiting, and at worst hang out right in the middle of the "ride" trajectory.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Yeah east coast is different. It's usually a select zone that lights up vs an entire stretch of coast. So you have pros and rippers tuned in from New England to Florida ready to pounce on an individual spot because of surfline.

But I was literally just in south Beach and it was 6-8 foot, dredging, and makeable and there were literally 15 guys out over a half mile stretch. There was dozens of surfers on the sand making excuses about going out.I bet Outer Banks gets like that a lot too.
Haha South Beach (the 2 times a year it breaks) cannot be compared to the Hatteras and the Outer Banks when it comes to surf and its surfers. Not even sure what you're trying to say.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Ditto. I was comprehensively challenged myself. Finally a bump today, not enough to share much though. I'm glad you guys are stocked today doh! Play nice.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
So your parents met here huh?
No, your mom told me

And your pathetic bash on SB shows how tiny your d!ck is. … the surf here [EDIT for clarification: by here, I’m not talking about Florida, I’m not even on the East Coast, never been to SB, or OBX] makes your waves look like typhoon lagoon, doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to bash n brag

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
She's actually from Newport, I digress.

Go back to your hole - IE the politics forum

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
No, your mom told me

And your pathetic bash on SB shows how tiny your d!ck is. … the surf here makes your waves look like typhoon lagoon, doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to bash n brag
The surf in South Beach??? that's delusional, It gets good maybe 5 times a year...Done feeding the muppet troll

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I knew him from the art community in Laguna before I moved down here so I got a pass. I don’t know about him over on your side of the pond but his newcomers orientation here was legendary.
Got some of his artwork from when it was sold in laguna. Cool little shop on PCH across from main.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Ditto. I was comprehensively challenged myself. Finally a bump today, not enough to share much though. I'm glad you guys are stocked today doh! Play nice.
I havent even walked down the block to look at the flat grayness. It’s rainy and 50. is there a bump Titty bump out there? If there is surf, I’ll surf. Other than that I was thinking about tattoo

now, Here me out bros, and feel free to mock, I’m used to it. Long story short: I’m a direct descendant of Anne Bradstreet. Same family line as Richard Henry dana Junior. A literate family tree to be sure.

so, I’m not a huge fan of text tats, but now that I have the merchant brig pilgrim, and a giant iceberg Dana may have encountered rounding the horn 2x, I want a tribute to gramma Anne. she wrote countless lines of verse, I have barely scatched the surface. But she was a puritan who actually loved her husband. He is/was my namesake, incidentally, and one of the leaders of the settlement that would soon became known as Boston, and was a cofounder of Harvard) so much of her (very long and old fashioned) poetry was dedicated to religion, love, marriage, and such.

However, this famous line jumps out at me for obvious reasons. could be super cheesy as a tat, but perhaps not if worn by her actual descendant? Basically, I’m building an homage to 500 years of somewhat well documented and intersting family history. here is the line= flame away, or, tell me to go get it inked, and I’ll go find an artist this afternoon and get it done whilst watching futbol

“If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
Anne “gramma” Bradstreet c. 1650

thoughts? this is a solid quote for life in general, but perhaps even more so now

also, if you love geeking out on history, read her Wikipedia or whatever. Fascinating woman, quite literally at the birth of Boston. Progressive, in her own quiet way.

Legend has it home girl would literally compose 1000 word poems in her head, revise them (again, in her head) to make sure the structure and words were just so, before even putting chalk to slate

Reactions: Witchipoo
Oct 19, 2022
That's funny he had to tell other longboarders to go away. Localism... sort of like being a redneck but just in a different state.

Reactions: ajmojave

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
“If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
Anne “gramma” Bradstreet c. 1650

thoughts? this is a solid quote for life in general, but perhaps even more so now
i think that would look great on your lower back

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Perhaps the back, just under the shoulder blades. First two lines on the left, the other 2 on the right

I mean, my middle and upper back are prison shredded now, so, theres that

xxx

Nep status
Nov 18, 2006
I lived in the same location for over 40 years, walking distance. As a grom, I earned my place in the lineup. As I aged, the lessons taught to me were passed down. My younger brother and his friends didn’t get a hall pass. Fast forward 30+ years. Hair and suit dry, getting ready to paddle out and I get accosted by the cops about an assault in the water. I’m telling them I haven’t even paddled out yet, ie dry suit and hair. They have the “injured” party try to identify me. Nope, not that guy. The comedy part is it wasn’t a beat down, the kid got a DING in his board!

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
not a fan of anne bradstreeet - but were you named after her dead grandchild?

On My Dear Grandchild Simon Bradstreet, Being but a Month and One day old
No sooner came, but gone, and fall’n asleep,
Acquaintance short, yet parting caused us weep;
Three flowers, two scarcely blown, the last i’ th’bud,
Cropt by th’ Almighty’s hand; yet is He good.
With dreadful awe before Him let’s be mute,
Such was His will, but why, let’s not dispute,
With humble hearts and mouths put in the dust,
Let’s say He’s merciful as well as just.
He will return and make up all our losses,
And smile again after our bitter crosses
Go pretty babe, go rest with sisters twain;
Among the blest in endless joys remain.