A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
So just for fun and speaking of football size Tuna we had a bonanza of Yellowfin Tuna on a private charter aboard Apollo back in 2017. Out of San Diego fishing in N. Mex waters.
This charter was a company trip my buddy from out of state put on. Mostly rent rods.
We found a school late in the day that wanted to die and when that happens it's on like donkey kong.
I was high stick this trip (of course). :)
Hooked 21 and landed 19. This all took place over about 2 hours.

Jeeeez, haven't the deck hands ever heard of a deck hose?
Man, that's a lot of poke.

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
My youngest daughter has been tagging along frequently this season; she's gotten really good at catching schoolies in the back bay and tog fishing the canals, but a slot-size bass for her has eluded us for some time. Today she bested me with this 37" from the surf while I brought home a dainty 28.5". Sienna and dad Thanksgiving day stripers.jpg

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
My youngest daughter has been tagging along frequently this season; she's gotten really good at catching schoolies in the back bay and tog fishing the canals, but a slot-size bass for her has eluded us for some time. Today she bested me with this 37" from the surf while I brought home a dainty 28.5". View attachment 142611
What do you throw in the surf for that - Dead bait on the bottom or jigs, swimbaits etc?

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
What do you throw in the surf for that - Dead bait on the bottom or jigs, swimbaits etc?
Unless I'm on my kayak live-lining bunker or absolutely desperate to find a fish when none are evident, I'm a lure-man for bass. Lately I've been on a surface-plug kick; these fish (almost all my fish in the last week) fell to a 5.75" Savage Gear Panic Pencil Popper in the "Green Mackerel" color worked over schools of peanut bunker corralled in the wash by bass. I also like the Stillwater Smack-it.

Paddle tails worked around the perimeter of bunker schools sometime can entice reluctant fish to bite (or when surface conditions are too choppy for surface plugging)- I like the Z-man Diezel Minnowz when conditions are calm and Tsunami Swim Shads when there is current. I also do well with the Yo Zuri Mag Darter and a bunch of random crank baits (Bombers or Rapala X-raps), particularly in the back-bays.

Reactions: Aruka and wedge2

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Unless I'm on my kayak live-lining bunker or absolutely desperate to find a fish when none are evident, I'm a lure-man for bass. Lately I've been on a surface-plug kick; these fish (almost all my fish in the last week) fell to a 5.75" Savage Gear Panic Pencil Popper in the "Green Mackerel" color worked over schools of peanut bunker corralled in the wash by bass. I also like the Stillwater Smack-it.

Paddle tails worked around the perimeter of bunker schools sometime can entice reluctant fish to bite (or when surface conditions are too choppy for surface plugging)- I like the Z-man Diezel Minnowz when conditions are calm and Tsunami Swim Shads when there is current. I also do well with the Yo Zuri Mag Darter and a bunch of random crank baits (Bombers or Rapala X-raps), particularly in the back-bays.
Yeah I jig big Keitech swimbaits on 1 oz jig heads when we mark schools on the bottom (and they aren't hitting on the troll) and do well. Always have an oversized spook topwater tied on just incase. Also, soak big bunker for red drum in hatteras in the fall, though that's not as fun. Have a cousin in Ocean Beach, need to check that fishery out when I visit, and maybe find a 7'0 to get wrecked in OB ;) :shaka: :shaka: ;)

Reactions: hackeysaky

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Broke the week straight of days with fish yesterday. Mostly from the boat but should have let you know I was in your hood @hackeysaky on Monday. Got into a good bite on the North end of your town from the beach. No slobs but a lot of fun sized fish. Hoping it turns on up the street soon.
View attachment 142963
@surfer57 I was out Monday as well. I think I remember briefly spotting that boat in the distance. Feel free to reach out for reports and arrange a rendezvous next time you run north; I'm usually in the yak in the foreground (unless there is wave action to negotiate on the way out and in; for that I have a yellow Scrambler 11). Usually have my phone with me as well.

saks kayak.jpg

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Yesterday (12/02) fired out front mid-morning. I wound up crushing the barbs on my favorite topwater plug in order to turn around the releases quicker to get it back out there. Wound up bringing this fat 32" home, later found four full-size bunker in its belly.

12.02.22.JPG

12.02.22 striper.jpg

12.02.22 32in.jpg