5 dead, 18 injured in Colorado nightclub shooting....

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I just saw on tv that the boyfriend of the daughter of the man who stopped the gunman was one of the people killed

I think that the guy who stopped the gunman has a man-bun

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I think there's not a bit of inconvenience calling a person he/she or him/her regardless of what they were born with between their legs.

It's a bit like not shitting all over someone's religion regardless of the fact they believe in some sort of fantasy.

It's just assholish and lacking respect for another human. Kinda like when someone doesn't want to be called by their first name, instead their middle name, you respect that.
You finally said something smart, it's a shame that you continued to type.

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I have a hard time remembering names. Always have. Now I'm supposed to pull up the name and then cross reference the name with that individual's list of preferred pronouns?

Screw that. Screw pronouns.

"Hey! You! The one in the Raiders shirt and a tutu wearing eye makeup and lipstick? Take your hand off my ass please..."
It's really not that hard not to use names or pronouns in a casual conversation.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
At a local coffee shop a couple weeks ago was the most recent.

I said “thank you sir” then he gave me sh!t for for misgendering him.

This was by all outward appearances a dude, facial hair and all. Clearly a gay dude but a dude none the less.

I was being respectful by calling him sir. That was my intent, to be respectful. He was the one who started the confrontation.
People often say dumb stuff to me, I just ignore it, b/c I can. You don't have to listen to people just because they're talking

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
It's really not that hard not to use names or pronouns in a casual conversation.
maybe it takes practice
At work, I refer to someone as “she” and someone else as “he” although they both would rather be referred to as They. i don’t do it out of disrespect. I do it out of habit.
i notice others do as well
but I’ll keep trying to form new habits

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
maybe it takes practice
At work, I refer to someone as “she” and someone else as “he” although they both would rather be referred to as They. i don’t do it out of disrespect. I do it out of habit.
i notice others do as well
but I’ll keep trying to form new habits
It's tough to teach an old dog new tricks isn't it?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
At a local coffee shop a couple weeks ago was the most recent.

I said “thank you sir” then he gave me sh!t for for misgendering him.

This was by all outward appearances a dude, facial hair and all. Clearly a gay dude but a dude none the less.

I was being respectful by calling him sir. That was my intent, to be respectful. He was the one who started the confrontation.
What kinda psycho calls a coffee shop person 'sir'? :roflmao:

Was thank you not enough?

How did he "give you sh!t"?

PS it irks me when people call me sir and my pronouns are pretty conventional.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I have a hard time remembering names. Always have. Now I'm supposed to pull up the name and then cross reference the name with that individual's list of preferred pronouns?

Screw that. Screw pronouns.

"Hey! You! The one in the Raiders shirt and a tutu wearing eye makeup and lipstick? Take your hand off my ass please..."
this is the way

yes/no

please/thank you

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I had a woman give me sh!t one time for holding the door open for her. I can't help it, it's the way I was raised. I still do it, and that one particular woman is the only one that was ever offended. Other than her, pretty much all smiles and thank yous.

Which brings up the whole toilet seat thing. Am I being a chauvinist if I put the toilet seat back down? Or is putting it up to pee chauvinist behavior? Somebody give me the 411 on 2022 urination protocol in mixed gender bathrooms.

Reactions: Ifallalot

schex

Miki Dora status
Jun 9, 2015
OB/Point Loma
What kinda psycho calls a coffee shop person 'sir'? :roflmao:

Was thank you not enough?

How did he "give you sh!t"?

PS it irks me when people call me sir and my pronouns are pretty conventional.
I was raised to call all my elders either sir or mam unless they told me otherwise
I still do this

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I had a woman give me sh!t one time for holding the door open for her. I can't help it, it's the way I was raised. I still do it, and that one particular woman is the only one that was ever offended. Other than her, pretty much all smiles and thank yous.

Which brings up the whole toilet seat thing. Am I being a chauvinist if I put the toilet seat back down? Or is putting it up to pee chauvinist behavior? Somebody give me the 411 on 2022 urination protocol in mixed gender bathrooms.
I hold the door for men and women.

If a woman is offended by this out of some weird “I’m as capable as a man” just punch her in the stomach to remind her that she serves at the pleasure of men.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
So you went out of your way to use a pronoun?

I've gotta be honest, I've never been confronted with this issue. I've worked with gays, a few trans, and pretty much everyone else and it literally never happens to me. I'm even old enough to use the "thank you, sir" line all the time too.

Aside from the coffee shop, when else has this occurred?

And TBH, if someone yelled at me for making a mistake about something like this, I'd probably tell them to fook off. But not because they want to be called something I don't get, but because they acted like a shithead. The better way to handle it is "you're welcome, but if we meet again I prefer to be referred to as ____. Have a great day."

PS - did you notice how often I used "they" in the singular? And how it made sense?
Out of my way to use a pronoun? Wtf are you talking about.

Yes, sir
No, sir
Thank you, sir

Thats been rolling off my tongue for almost 50 years.