Explanation of Localism

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'm sure if you were some old guy surf dude on a budget with no health insurance spending long stints in tents or in a dusty trailer you'd totally start up with a bunch of aggro Santa Crews blow ins in remote Baja. For someone who has travelled as much as you have and who freely admits he's not a 6'4" middle linebacker, this is a pretty odd take.

My guess is the average person who can be in BFE Baja and chooses a longboard spot can't punch out an entire Eastside crew of 20-somethings, and is possibly at an age where getting your shoulder dislocated or your knee kicked the wrong way = DONE surfing.

IMHO most people do passive aggressive things in response to an abused power dynamic where they have no other recourse.
Pretty much spot on. I'm not sure when this CJ stuff happened but I've spent a lot of time at scorps and the locals are mostly old, retired longboarders. There used to be some mex kids who were fun to surf with but I think they've mostly left for greener financial pastures. We still have a place there but I don't go during the surf season because it's mostly a longboard wave and when it does fire it's pretty overrun. Before they paved the road, before the town had electricity and when it required hours on a horrendous washboard road to get there, I scored the place 10/10 with pretty much just the locals out. When the sand is set up perfect and the minus tides are on and a big swell is pumping from precisely the right angle the place is as perfect as any wave I've ever surfed.

Last time I was there on a big swell the sand was all funky and the crowd was sweaty and thick. The wave was a shadow of it's former self. It was like seeing my highschool sweetheart, my first love, now with some stretch marks, a drug habit and a vacant look in her eyes, getting gang banged by a bunch of hairy old men.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I love you man and I know I'm probably in the minority on this but 4 guys traveling together is too much. I would never roll around my local area in a group of 4, so why would I do it in someone else's area?

Like, I go surf Norcal and I get vibed just for showing up alone and taking scraps. And then I go to Baja and there's 8 guys from Eureka traveling around in a group and bumming everyone out. I don't get it.

Maybe it's different if you are doing a boat trip or surf camp trip. Or maybe I'm missing out on something grand...Seems like a nightmare though. We'd probably end up surfing a small mushburger because one of the guys is scared of the heavy tubing wave down the way...
i normal travel with one or two friends . we have same taste in waves and travel experience.

boat trips are different no matter what you will be with a crew. I got lucky with the group I went with.
two rippers, two psycho chargers and the rest of us competent enough to hang.

i don’t know about all boat trips but on the one I was on if you asked to go to pussy waves skipper would not be pleased

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Ice picking the tires too passive? Shoot them out with a .45.

Electricity and paved roads ruined surfing.
If I wanted a crew to leave a drive-to spot in Baja, the last thing I'd do is flatten the tires. Half the other visitors should have been posted up on the road out of town with battery-powered air compressors, plugs, and cans of fix-a-flat for good measure.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
If I wanted a crew to leave a drive-to spot in Baja, the last thing I'd do is flatten the tires. Half the other visitors should have been posted up on the road out of town with battery-powered air compressors, plugs, and cans of fix-a-flat for good measure.
Have you ever tried to fix a shot out tire with a can of fix-a-flat?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Well kicking their ass would not have been as effective as stealing the fins, you can still surf with a black eye. Lot harder without fins
I'm not talking about a black eye.

I don't think it needs to come to that.

Like I said before, it usually only takes a few people to emphatically tell someone they're being a dipshit and to fuck off.

Also, this was 2007 (lol) and I can't imagine any of the people in that young crew had an ounce of muscle to flex.

If there was someone to be scared of in the bunch it was likely JAH.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
No but if it got a longboard goon squad out of pointbreak town I'd flay parts of my nutsack to help patch the bigger holes and glue them in place with fluid from my gouged out eyeballs.
It would be better entertainment watching them try to get out of the situation.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Pretty much spot on. I'm not sure when this CJ stuff happened but I've spent a lot of time at scorps and the locals are mostly old, retired longboarders. There used to be some mex kids who were fun to surf with but I think they've mostly left for greener financial pastures. We still have a place there but I don't go during the surf season because it's mostly a longboard wave and when it does fire it's pretty overrun. Before they paved the road, before the town had electricity and when it required hours on a horrendous washboard road to get there, I scored the place 10/10 with pretty much just the locals out. When the sand is set up perfect and the minus tides are on and a big swell is pumping from precisely the right angle the place is as perfect as any wave I've ever surfed.

Last time I was there on a big swell the sand was all funky and the crowd was sweaty and thick. The wave was a shadow of it's former self. It was like seeing my highschool sweetheart, my first love, now with some stretch marks, a drug habit and a vacant look in her eyes, getting gang banged by a bunch of hairy old men.
5/7 bro. 5/7

10/10 around here just means someone served all 10 years of a 10 year sentence

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
lest we forget Chris Davidson already.

If stealing a group of people's fins solves the issue, it is the way.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
lest we forget Chris Davidson already.

If stealing a group of people's fins solves the issue, it is the way.
That was a long time ago and didn’t do much to enlighten him on visitors comportamiento.

That’s why I say immobilize the vehicle. Starve them out. Baja rules, not Pleasure Point.

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I always thought it was funny when dudes who acted like locals in one spot traveled to another.

I say "Don't be a dick just because you can."

But that is probably an expression my temperament and some maturity.

Last edited: