Twitter lol

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
so you can still use the site without paying (you will still see ads if you pay them), it doesn't serve as any mark of prestige or whatever other than telling others you pay them money, and it's not a lot of money so they need *a lot* of subscribers to start paying based on the inflated price. I'm sure they are a bloated company but getting rid of a bunch of useless project managers can't help that much. I don't get it.

Personally I'd refuse on principle/out of spite just because it would make me feel like an absolute mark to pay someone to use a service where the whole service is the users themselves. I don't think my internet posting is worth a ton, but I'm not paying someone to do it, jesus.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
so you can still use the site without paying (you will still see ads if you pay them), it doesn't serve as any mark of prestige or whatever other than telling others you pay them money, and it's not a lot of money so they need *a lot* of subscribers to start paying based on the inflated price. I'm sure they are a bloated company but getting rid of a bunch of useless project managers can't help that much. I don't get it.

Personally I'd refuse on principle/out of spite just because it would make me feel like an absolute mark to pay someone to use a service where the whole service is the users themselves. I don't think my internet posting is worth a ton, but I'm not paying someone to do it, jesus.
Firing 3,500 people at $200k total compensation each saves roughly $700 million, which would've yielded $500 million net profit last year instead of $221 million net loss.

He's doing it the right way - firing the most expensive people first then moving down the org chart.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015

That’s cause youre likely not famous and don’t have a lot of followers so no need to pay.

to journalist, professors, think tanks, political people, etc, their posts have far reaching effects and many followers. They use the platform to reach them. It’s the easiest and really only way. How else could they make a post and have it reach?

so Elon is banking on those people knowing it’s value, and paying 8 dollars for it

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I've always disliked Twitter and most of it's more prolific users it would seem. More holier than thou know-it-alls is what I really need in my life so if it's alright, I've got you guys okay? I often appreciate y'all's opinions too so fuck Twitter but I'm glad that guy's ruffling their feathers over there, fuckin kooks.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
BUT THAT ELON MUSK MAKES US SO MAD!:(:mad:

YET, Yet, yet i luv his 'Space'' sheee~it,
sooo gnarly, like this, from thee other day!!!
+
this too,
awhile back:

'Spaced':
have you a great day, Casa!
:shaka:

ps ~ add-in!
rw, err, ah i, well i used to "date" a cute chick from Connecticut,
many a year ago, she 'straight A' diploma~ed college girl,
R+R-1.jpg
when i finally got her out here to L.A., well she took her~self more classes, for ed~umacation, ya dig?
astronomy at UCLA wuz 1 she got really into, so i gotta see, with her, her pro~fesser + other studentz too,
well, usin' some gnarly UCLA telescopes that were located near Edwardz Air~Force Base,
+ with thee starz twinklin' bright, i got to see, it, in person, them ringz around Saturn,
{as that ol' Aerosmith song/vid 'Spaced', showz above, around thee 1:30 min' mark},
'twaz on a cold, clear, chilly, {burrrrr!}, winter night indeed,
many a year ago, but f**k, it wuz indeed: too cool!
i just wish i had my UGGz on,
ya know?

pss ~ i really hope that Elon + SpaceX can get me to 'Planet Claire''
b4 i die here on 'Planet Earth', for supposedly, no~body die~z up, over there ,
hahahha...
yow~za...
randy
:waving:

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Edit: oh my there was definitely some fat to trim.
So I actually work as a research contractor for the DOS/DOD/OGAs in the realm of conflict, stability, and peace operations.

Basically helping these agencies identify the causation of conflicts, fragile states, transnational crime, etc.

work(ed) with every intl org you can think of- UN, NGOs, IFRC, and host nation governments.

You get the picture.

Having been working in this space for close to 20 years. I’m confused and have no idea what contributions Twitter has made to any of it and have ZERO idea what their human rights teams did.

Maybe they did some good. But I haven’t seen it. But I can tell you with a fair amount of certainty the orgs on the ground actually working to advance human rights isn’t social media companies and def aren’t workers for social media companies posting about it.

The entire post of hers just reeks of someone smelling their own farts and completely detached from reality.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Take this article for example. Posted in that Twitter thread

What exactly is the “special tech”???? Taking a video of human rights abuses? You don’t need a special app.

The whole tech industry is bloated if there are entire companies created to “record” human rights abuses when phone cameras already exist….

Not too mention the whole problems that also come with people using their phone being located, exploited, etc.

Nothing more then grifters on a money grab

• Love
Reactions: 2surf and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Take this article for example. Posted in that Twitter thread

What exactly is the “special tech”???? Taking a video of human rights abuses? You don’t need a special app.

The whole tech industry is bloated if there are entire companies created to “record” human rights abuses when phone cameras already exist….

Not too mention the whole problems that also come with people using their phone being located, exploited, etc.

Nothing more then grifters on a money grab
Bull's eye. Very little of the "tech" industry is actually tech now. 90% of the "tech" money goes into software like Salesforce. I was just up in Sunnyvale and the young guys work for software ad revenue conglomerates like Twitter, META, and Google while the guys working real tech across the street at LMCO are all old. Much of the commercial electronics industry was shipped to Asia in the '90s and Aughts by guys like Tim Cook who used offshoring to improve the bottom line and climb the ladder.

The white collar software layoffs are about to begin in earnest though. You don't need all these people to maintain mature platforms like Twitter that don't operate in the black. META also blew $15 billion last year on immersive vaporware nobody wants. Google is firmly in its "Fat Elvis" stage and the search engine barely works now. It's time for white collar "tech"bros to experience their Youngstown massacre.

1667660086296.png

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
So I actually work as a research contractor for the DOS/DOD/OGAs in the realm of conflict, stability, and peace operations.

Basically helping these agencies identify the causation of conflicts, fragile states, transnational crime, etc.

work(ed) with every intl org you can think of- UN, NGOs, IFRC, and host nation governments.

You get the picture.

Having been working in this space for close to 20 years. I’m confused and have no idea what contributions Twitter has made to any of it and have ZERO idea what their human rights teams did.

Maybe they did some good. But I haven’t seen it. But I can tell you with a fair amount of certainty the orgs on the ground actually working to advance human rights isn’t social media companies and def aren’t workers for social media companies posting about it.

The entire post of hers just reeks of someone smelling their own farts and completely detached from reality.
You've uncovered the purpose of Twitter - managerial class information domain shaping using bot-amplified network effects. Almost the entire managerial class is on Twitter and they're the ones who carry out policy. If someone from some three letter agency or international agency posts a policy recommendation, they can use bots and networks to make everyone in the managerial class think it's a good idea and an already-settled matter of public policy. Thus, according to a "Castles in the Air" valuation, Twitter is almost priceless and that's why there's so much shrieking over Musk's acquisition. We can see now that much of its revenue was actually through three letter agency cut-outs, thus it was always worthless according to a "Firm Foundation" valuation.

Personally, I think it should be shut down. Along with John Robb, I'm concerned we're going to bot-amplify network effect our way into a "Guns of August" situation.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
But Twitter is Dorseys baby not Leons. Not enough Rednecks use it to make a profit. Its Lib driven. Leon better learn who his customer is and provide them the service they require oddawyze... MySpace
Tesla wasn’t Elon’s baby either. It was still an infant though, while Twitter is a decrepit old man.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Edit: oh my there was definitely some fat to trim.
these are the types of idiotic hot takes that poison discourse

first sentence bears no resemblance to retweeted content and the second sentence is even more egregiously detached from reality

are these people dumb or malicious...feels a bit more like the latter than the former

if we don't know what they actually did, how can we not like it?

consider this passage in the very article shared for example:

For instance, anonymity of the individuals collecting information is a difficult feature to balance with the demands of justice. Individuals recording the footage may want to stay anonymous because of genuine threats to their personal safety. They may not want their IP addresses or other identifiable information collected. Unfortunately, applying lessons learned from other sectors which also deal with sensitive data is not straightforward. As an example, healthcare data can be anonymised for research purposes without losing its value. Personal details such as name or other contact details are not relevant to understand how cancer can be diagnosed earlier. However, such details are highly relevant for criminal justice investigators, who want as much information as possible about the source. Knowing who has accused you, and of what, is a fundamental tenet of fair trials that we should not forgo–else we risk creating a Kafkaesque international justice system.

People using tools for documenting human rights abuses and the investigators making use of that information need to have full and transparent knowledge of what identifying information is being collected, where it is stored, and who has access to it. Documenters, survivors and witnesses need to be informed that for certain fact finding processes such as criminal justice, any details they supply may be publicly released or shared with other parties, including the defense. Anything collected can be subpoenaed by governments with ulterior motives, and it is open to disclosure if the organization preserving the data is not able to resist or narrow down requests for information when they are overbroad or put individuals at risk. If personally identifiable information has been collected, the anonymity of the source cannot ever be guaranteed.

sounds like mayhaps they have a group internally that helped to capture, anonymize, protect submitter, and then make that content actionable with relevant agencies around the globe, acting as the agent on behalf of the content submitter....assuming best intentions...of course

regardless, I can't believe they fired HALF the company

I mean...holy sh!t....and of course, advertisers pulling back is the fault of "activists" and surely has nothing to do with industry wide reductions in ad sales across all channels (paging @Subway) or the fact that Musk's statements and actions (like firing half the fkn staff) has created a tremendous amount of uncertainty about what the space is going to be like post acquisition

Last edited:
Reactions: vanrysss

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
these are the types of idiotic hot takes that poison discourse

first sentence bears no resemblance to retweeted content and the second sentence is even more egregiously detached from reality

are these people dumb or malicious...feels a bit more like the latter than the former

he states he doesn't know what they actually did, but definitely doesn't like it!

maybe we could take some time to avail ourselves of the information available about this group before we light the torches and pull out the pitchforks....?

consider this passage in the very article shared for example:

For instance, anonymity of the individuals collecting information is a difficult feature to balance with the demands of justice. Individuals recording the footage may want to stay anonymous because of genuine threats to their personal safety. They may not want their IP addresses or other identifiable information collected. Unfortunately, applying lessons learned from other sectors which also deal with sensitive data is not straightforward. As an example, healthcare data can be anonymised for research purposes without losing its value. Personal details such as name or other contact details are not relevant to understand how cancer can be diagnosed earlier. However, such details are highly relevant for criminal justice investigators, who want as much information as possible about the source. Knowing who has accused you, and of what, is a fundamental tenet of fair trials that we should not forgo–else we risk creating a Kafkaesque international justice system.

People using tools for documenting human rights abuses and the investigators making use of that information need to have full and transparent knowledge of what identifying information is being collected, where it is stored, and who has access to it. Documenters, survivors and witnesses need to be informed that for certain fact finding processes such as criminal justice, any details they supply may be publicly released or shared with other parties, including the defense. Anything collected can be subpoenaed by governments with ulterior motives, and it is open to disclosure if the organization preserving the data is not able to resist or narrow down requests for information when they are overbroad or put individuals at risk. If personally identifiable information has been collected, the anonymity of the source cannot ever be guaranteed.

sounds like mayhaps they have a group internally that helped to capture, anonymize, protect submitter, and then make that content actionable with relevant agencies around the globe

assuming best intentions...of course

I can't believe they fired HALF the company

I mean...holy sh!t....and of course, advertisers pulling back is the fault of "activists" and surely has nothing to do with industry wide reductions in ad sales across all channels (paging @Subway) or the fact that Musk's statements and actions (like firing half the fkn staff) has created a tremendous amount of uncertainty about what the space is going to be like post acquisition
my sector is growing, it’s the bigger ones taking the hits at least for now. Also we are not online/mobile so we don’t have these issues

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
monetization continues to be a bugaboo for the socials

watching facebook burn down this year has been DELICIOUS

lolmeta

Twitter operated at a loss for 8 of the past 10....firing half the company seems like a massive swing of the axe, though