Bobby Quad

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Felt up a 5’6 today. Liked it.

any ride report updates?
Have been riding mine a lot since I got it 2 weeks ago. 5'6 x 19 7/8 x 2 9/16 31.25l, so a bit thicker and wider than stock. Most of the grovelers I've had in the past had significant single to double concave. The booby has flat to double. It does not have the same sticky, drivey feel deep single concaves tend to have, but rolls from rail to rail really smoothly. It also has a bit more tail flip than I'm used to in my small wave boards, plus a hip. I think those two elements make it feel a bit shorter and more nimble than say a Puddle Jumper.

Overall I'd say it needs a bit more rider input in very small and gutless waves, but offers a really nice, skatey feel and surprisingly tight turns in the pocket.

I'm still getting used to it, hasn't been the most intuitive board I've ever jumped on - but I'm liking it a lot nonetheless.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Bit of an update on the ride report after seeing @spjones123 comment on another thread ("I thought it was going to be an easy to ride, loose, squirty summer board. The BQ isn’t a hard board to ride, but it‘s not easy to ride it well. Has a snowboard quality where it needs a rail engaged at all times.").

There have been some conditions where I have really clicked with the BQ, particularly in small but punchy waves. Smooth rail transitions and easy tail release were on offer. Small and soft and I'm having more trouble generating speed than on say a Puddle Jumper. A little bit bigger and slopey and I sometimes find it hard to hold a rail and the board feels too short. Probably lack of finesse, maybe too much tail rocker for such a short board. Long story short, I'm broken hearted because we had some special moments but will move on and give the rnf96 a go.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I dont know if this review is post-surgery but I'm guessing it is. The BQ doesn't look very good. I dont know if its the board or its Noel, but his backside turns look flat. I think the board might be too much volume for Noel (not sure)? Like, maybe he can't sink a rail? Not sure... but the board doesn't look appealing.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I dont know if this review is post-surgery but I'm guessing it is. The BQ doesn't look very good. I dont know if its the board or its Noel, but his backside turns look flat. I think the board might be too much volume for Noel (not sure)? Like, maybe he can't sink a rail? Not sure... but the board doesn't look appealing.
agree. bobby sure surfs it well and I've seen people I know surf it well so I think it's just no salad toss

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I know Noel is a polarizing topic here. But the dude just had full hip replacement surgery and he’s surfing better than I ever will. Give him a lil bit of slack.

it’s really really hard to make a living in a surf industry adjacent job. Like his videos or not, I give him max respect for at least trying and the hustle.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I like Noel. I think he’s a good dude. And I agree with spjones— it’s hard to make any type of income from surfing and Noel deserves credit for that. I’m just honestly critiquing the BQ review. I actually think the board looks fun and want to give it a try… but the review doesn’t make me wanna get one.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I know Noel is a polarizing topic here. But the dude just had full hip replacement surgery and he’s surfing better than I ever will. Give him a lil bit of slack.

it’s really really hard to make a living in a surf industry adjacent job. Like his videos or not, I give him max respect for at least trying and the hustle.
With that surgery people usually walk out in better shape than they walk in. I know a few who’ve total hip replacement and within a couple days they were better than they‘d been for years.