Shingles Vaccine.. Yay or Nay?

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Okay, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger after these stories...I'm going to do it mid week so I don't ruin the weekend!

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Yikes.

Poke in the eye with a sharp stick or a kick in the nuts with a blunt object?

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
About 20 years ago we watched my mother in law go through a terrible bout of Shingles. It was down both of her sides and on her breasts. She was loaded on opiods and crying all the time. I believe it definitely contributed to her declining mental state back then. Mrs. Pato and I both got the shots last year at age 55. Neither of us got sick from the vaccine but our arms felt like we had been kicked by a mule. That lasted about four days.

Apr 22, 2014
Is it one and done or do you need to get periodic boosters?
Two doses. Second one 2-6 months after the first. I waited 4 months. Reactions for me weren't that bad, but a little worse after the second dose. Still better than shingles. The stories here inspired me to get the shots.

Reactions: hammies

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
About 20 years ago we watched my mother in law go through a terrible bout of Shingles. It was down both of her sides and on her breasts. She was loaded on opiods and crying all the time. I believe it definitely contributed to her declining mental state back then. Mrs. Pato and I both got the shots last year at age 55. Neither of us got sick from the vaccine but our arms felt like we had been kicked by a mule. That lasted about four days.
So, get the shot before a forecast flat spell is what you're saying?

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I'm in .... for the dbl shots. Will check with my Doc when I get my blood reports back. Thank you, Gents!!
Gout is bad enough in the joints, 'specially in the knee's ~ :bricks:
I quit being a piggy drinker, couple of red wines, enuff.
with age, knowledge becomes useful ... supposed to, anyway

Apr 5, 2004
I got the shingles vaccine because of what family members had gone through when they had shingles. I didn't want to deal with that and I got it as soon as I could.

I had my first dose at the beginning of June. No noticeable effects for me.

Had the second dose in the beginning of September. It knocked me out for a day. Felt like I had a fever and left me feeling pretty weak. I was four weeks out from having Covid. I did a mountain bike race the same day I got the booster. I also had just gone back to work.

I have a feeling that the combination of things made it worse for me.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Wifey had it on her back, doc said it was a mild case, she said it was brutal.
We both got shots last year - for her it was no prob.
For me, shot 1 = 1 day of feeling lousy, shot 2 = I was straight sick for a couple of days. Still better than a mild case, IMO.

Reactions: keenfish