The Official OBSF Support Group

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
@Woke AF please don't post someone's phone number here. DM it to those who need it.

Problem is a lot of nefarious aholes out there, and also spam bots scan web pages all day looking for email addresses and phone numbers. Thanks and carry on.

Reactions: Woke AF

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
LM can be fun with very specific conditions re: wind, swell period, bars, crowd. Montara to the south is sharky, heavy beach break. North is Rockaway, which is also sharky, fickle and relatively heavy in the fall/ winter. If you are a beginner/intermediate or old timer with a quiver of 3-fin 9'0s, this is your spot. It provides refuge from sharks and heavy water.
What about P-Point? They seem to do a good job discouraging media .. . .

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I've seen SUPS out there, but nothing else. Shelter Cove is private property, so the only way to check it is to know a resident or paddle all the way out there. No idea what kind of tide, swell it needs to get like this:

Reactions: TeamScam

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I've seen SUPS out there, but nothing else. Shelter Cove is private property, so the only way to check it is to know a resident or paddle all the way out there. No idea what kind of tide, swell it needs to get like this:

Big west swell. It's a non-wave. Never been out there myself but very few people surf it and it's almost always SUPs or LBs.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
@Woke AF please don't post someone's phone number here. DM it to those who need it.

Problem is a lot of nefarious aholes out there, and also spam bots scan web pages all day looking for email addresses and phone numbers. Thanks and carry on.
I found dude's IG.

Thanks for the heads up.

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Figured I’d bump this thread and use it as it’s titled

I’m a recent blow-in from Southern California, living in SF now. I know, not even proper OB yet but this past Thursday was more solid than anything I‘ve paddled out in at Huntington in years :monkey:. I think last time I’ve been out in proper waves was a stormy, messy day at Uluwatu in 2017.

Recently bought a used 7‘0” (best I could find on a tight budget—back in grad school in my 30s, don’t ask), so I’ve ridden that a few times to get a feel for it. Before that my step-up was a 6’2” round-pin, which I never felt I needed in S. Cal.

Got a couple on Wednesday night as the sun was setting, mellow session, nice sunset. Saw some chick on a funboard caught in a rip and she paddled near me looking a little frazzled, I asked if she was good and she said was spooked and just keep an eye out for her. She proceeded to paddle up the beach a little and right in front of a 3 wave set that mowed her to the shore.

Thursday late morning, saw it had a little more size so I figured I’d take the 7’0” out. Bad timing on the paddle out, duckdove what felt like 20+ waves, finally got outside and got an idea what the reputation of OB being shifty and hard to stay in position was all about. Had trouble chasing down peaks/getting in position, dodged sets for a while too (hey, I’m a souther wimp getting used to actual waves). Finally decided fvck it, gonna sit inside and get a couple, ended up caught inside on the next set and got pounded halfway in, tired and over it.

Yesterday— saw it was a little smaller but more messy, figured I need some exercise so I rode my 6’2” and forced myself to sit inside and not out paddle outside when sets were approaching, just to take my lickins. Only caught 2 shitty waves in an hour and a half session, and actually had a decent time just sitting there taking waves on the head. A couple guys out but the only one I saw getting the set waves was on probably a close to 8’ board.

Definitely don’t think the 7’0” is enough (it’s pretty pulled-in too), and I see why wider/more volume boards are better for out here. Keeping my eye out for something bigger/budget-friendly.

What‘s up the with the water temps? Is it unseasonably warm? I bought a hooded 4/4 and booties, but I’m still wearing a 3/2 no booties.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

I’m a recent blow-in from Southern California, living in SF now. I know, not even proper OB yet but this past Thursday was more solid than anything I‘ve paddled out in at Huntington in years :monkey:. I think last time I’ve been out in proper waves was a stormy, messy day at Uluwatu in 2017.

Recently bought a used 7‘0” (best I could find on a tight budget—back in grad school in my 30s, don’t ask), so I’ve ridden that a few times to get a feel for it. Before that my step-up was a 6’2” round-pin, which I never felt I needed in S. Cal.

Got a couple on Wednesday night as the sun was setting, a mellow session, and a nice sunset. Saw some chick on a funboard caught in a rip and she paddled near me looking a little frazzled, I asked if she was good and she said was spooked and just keep an eye out for her. So she proceeded to paddle up the beach a little and right in front of a 3 wave set that mowed her to the shore.

Thursday late morning, saw it had a little more size so I figured I’d take the 7’0” out. Bad timing on the paddle out, duckdove what felt like 20+ waves, finally got outside and got an idea what the reputation of OB being shifty and hard to stay in position was all about. Had trouble chasing down peaks/getting in position, dodged sets for a while too (hey, I’m a souther wimp getting used to actual waves). Finally decided fvvk it, gonna sit inside and get a couple, ended up caught inside on the next set and got pounded halfway in, tired and over it.

Yesterday— saw it was a little smaller but more messy, figured I need some exercise so I rode my 6’2” and forced myself to sit inside and not out paddle outside when sets were approaching, just to take my lickins. Only caught 2 shitty waves in an hour and a half session, and actually had a decent time just sitting there taking waves on the head. A couple guys out but the only one I saw getting the set waves was on probably a close to 8’ board.

Definitely don’t think the 7’0” is enough (it’s pretty pulled-in too), and I see why wider/more volume boards are better for out here. Keeping my eye out for something bigger/budget-friendly.

What‘s up the with the water temps? Is it unseasonably warm? I bought a hooded 4/4 and booties, but I’m still wearing a 3/2 no booties.
the warmest time of year, don't worry. You will appreciate the rubber soon enough.

This isn't even proper Fall yet, for what the beach might offer or not:(

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Finally decided fvvk it, gonna sit inside and get a couple, ended up caught inside on the next set and got pounded halfway in, tired and over it.

Only caught 2 shitty waves in an hour and a half session, and actually had a decent time just sitting there taking waves on the head. A couple guys out but the only one I saw getting the set waves was on probably a close to 8’ board.
sounds about right. :p

Last edited:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

Got a couple on Wednesday night as the sun was setting, mellow session, nice sunset. Saw some chick on a funboard caught in a rip and she paddled near me looking a little frazzled, I asked if she was good and she said was spooked and just keep an eye out for her. She proceeded to paddle up the beach a little and right in front of a 3 wave set that mowed her to the shore.

Thursday late morning, saw it had a little more size so I figured I’d take the 7’0” out. Bad timing on the paddle out, duckdove what felt like 20+ waves, finally got outside and got an idea what the reputation of OB being shifty and hard to stay in position was all about. Had trouble chasing down peaks/getting in position, dodged sets for a while too (hey, I’m a souther wimp getting used to actual waves). Finally decided fvvk it, gonna sit inside and get a couple, ended up caught inside on the next set and got pounded halfway in, tired and over it.

Hmmm, sounds like it may just take some time to adjust. The biggest board I rode the last couple of days was a 6'4 wed late morning. All other sessions was out there on the 6'0s. Maybe a little bit under-volume but not sure that I would have grabbed anything different. Did take a few set waves on the head on Thursday which was kind of lackluster but still had no trouble catching waves.

Safe bet is a solid 6'4 and 7'0 but with some width... think Lost Retro Gun, Padillac. That will cover you for pretty much anything it sounds like you'd paddle out into.

Bigger boards definitely play a role when it's soft on the outer bars and all the old guys are on their 8'6s :rolleyes: Make sure you have fresh, good-quality leashes. Sometimes I'll grab something big and enjoy being over-volumed when it's super crowded.

Water I would say is pretty standard for this time of year. Definitely don't need anything more than an unhooded 4/3 no booties.

Reactions: sdsrfr and tacos

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

1 Whatcha getting the higher degree in? I know you said don't ask, but.....

2 Warmest water of the year and coupled it with bay outflow on max ebb tide, and you can get some warmish water now and again.

Bigger boards definitely play a role when it's soft on the outer bars and all the old guys are on their 8'6s :rolleyes:

Hey now....no wait, I haven't brought out the 8"6" yet.

This last week showed me how far out of surf shape I have become. I wish I could blame the increased workload of the legacy data migration project, the crappy summer season, late start to end of summer/early fall season, but sadly it is age and disturbingly low motivation, likely due to me using up energy/time on non-surfing related life crap.

Last edited:

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF

2 Warmest water of the year and coupled it with bay outflow on max ebb tide, and you can get some warmish water now and again.
1. Haha no worries, the don’t ask was more about the lunacy of uprooting my life (including wife)— I’m in CRNA school (aka nurse anesthesia— if the acronym is unfamiliar)

2. Gotcha, thanks for the info. I more so mentioned the water temps because I get cold fairly easily and am surprised to see so many already wearing hood and/or booties right now.

Anyways, thanks kool-aid and the rest for the advice, stoked to try to push my boundaries a little (and all the pain that comes with OB). I’ve been lazy the past few years and stuck to frequently longboarding Bolsa (if you know OC); and plus rarely is it ever even overhead and NOT one continuous wall for 2-3 miles in OC, so this is an interesting change.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I more so mentioned the water temps because I get cold fairly easily and am surprised to see so many already wearing hood and/or booties right now.
The older I get the slower the metabolism, so heat retention is a thing, plus, I have three hooded suit to one non-hooded. Often easy just pull down the hood it I get too warm.

Which reminds me, last dawn patrol out with the coldest hooded suit shows me it is time to chuck it. Colder than the 4/3 with those partially torn out seams.

Last edited:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
You will definitely want more than a chippy 7'0 if you intend to surf the better days ... unless you stick to the VFW> Kelly's Cove Zone. Given that this is your first season, I'd say don't paddle out at Noriega when it's 6 @ 18 or 10 @16 etc...

This is the start of my 7th season, and pretty much year I've bought a bigger board. First year, I had a 6'4 Ghost before ordering a 6'8 Blackbird that spring. After a couple of swells the following fall, I ordered a 7'6 Blackbird and swore I would be overgunned and never go out on days requiring anything bigger. That summer, Rusty made me an 8'3. The following spring, I went to Danny Hess and told him I needed something for maxing OB, the 8'3 didn't give me enough confidence on the biggest day of the season. :drowning: Now double overhead barely gets my heart rate up. I train for winter and have anxiety all season long thinking about what the next day/ swell will bring.

Am I over-gunned at times? Probably, but it's because I finally have my priorities straight out there. Catch bombs and stay safe. As someone said a while back on this thread, you're not hitting the lip anyway when it's 2x overhead +.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

Hey now....no wait, I haven't brought out the 8"6" yet.

This last week showed me how far out of surf shape I have become. I wish I could blame the increased workload of the legacy data migration project, the crappy summer season, late start to end of summer/early fall season, but sadly it is age and disturbingly low motivation, likely due to me using up energy/time on non-surfing related life crap.
There’s no substitute for paddling to stay in surf shape, which has got to be a royal PITA there with the diversions/conditions.

This is a great thread. You people are crazy.
:waving: